PDA

View Full Version : Fluval 404 ??

Don Trinko
09-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I was given a Fluval 404 filter ( also 75g, stand and light!!) I wonded if the 404 was reliable. I have never used canister filters that are below the tank and it will be in a place where leaks will not be appreciated! Thanks; Don T.

BOBT00LS
09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hello Don. I have a several Fluvall canister filters and never have a problem with any of them. Of course I use prefilters on the intakes to keep all of the solids out of the filter. My 75 gallon runs on a Fluval 404 and two sponge filters. I have yet to have any leaks in over two years.

Bob

subcooler
09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
I have a 404 on my 75g tank as well with a single lg. sponge filter.Has been working fine for last 6mo.'s
I agree with Bob about prefilter to keep crap out of canister-reducing frequency of canister cleaning.
Fluval redesigned the tank clips in model 405(wish they would have done in before the 404-poor design with rubber band type clips).Another drawback is 404 is rather hard to prime after cleaning-Doubtful I'd ever purchase this model again.
I haven't had any leaks-spare gasket on hand is a good idea!
Best of luck with your Discus,
Rob

Don Trinko
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
I set a bucket of water on a chair and it primed easy. Ran it for a few minutes and it had no leaks. I'll probably put it in a 5g bucket just in case.
Thanks; Don T.

Ben75
09-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Don,
I run a few fluvals on some of my tanks & the only thing i would advise you to do is replace any o-rings on the in and out fittings , thats the only area i have had leaks. Other than that all should be good.
Regards,