PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

target
10-01-2008, 10:51 AM
I have a habit of planning far ahead for things I would like to do. Right now, that means designing a fish room for when I have the chance and room to build it. That is a ways off as my wife and I decided to do some breeding of our own and are expecting our first child on Feb. 22.

I would like to get your opinions on my design thus far.

The rack system I plan to use would be the same as the one Discus Hans has. It seemed easy to build, and not too heavy on cost.

Right now I have each rack designed to hold 8 - 90 gallon tanks for a total of 720 gallons per rack. These tanks would be 48x18x25 high.

As you can see in the picture I have the tanks drilled for overflows. Right now I have it set so that one water pump could service both racks for WC's. All the overflows combine into one drain.

The top row of the first rack has each tank divided into 3 compartments for breeders. The rest of the tanks would be used as grow-out tanks, and are drilled so that they could be divided in half if the need arose.

For water storage I was thinking a 1350 gallon tank for aging tap water, and a 500 gallon tank for RO/DI water.

Filtering would be air driven sponge filters, 3 per tank.

As I have never built or designed a fishroom before, any and all comments would be appreciated. I know that it would be more fun if I was actually building it right now, but gathering knowledge ahead of time will only help me in the end. I hope the picture is large enough.

Thanks

seanyuki
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi Daniel,

Very nice design and best to visit one of the breeders in the forum like Dan (Elite Aquaria,Jack (Discus KC) and of course Hans (his discus Dream Warehouse) to learn from the experts.
Are you gonna breed discus for pleasure or business:confused:....good luck to your fish room.

Cheers
Francis:)

target
10-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Francis,

Any breeding accomplished would be mostly for pleasure, with the thought of maybe getting enough of a return to pay for the hobby. It would be great to breed as a business, but it would be a long, long time before I would be even close to competing with all the top notch breeders I have seen on this site.