PDA

View Full Version : Is This Tank Salvageable?

pherfect
10-06-2008, 11:54 AM
This tank was a saltwater setup. It's been sitting in the garage lilke this for 2 years. I'd like to set it up as a quarintine tank for future discus.
If it's good enough what do I use to clean it? Chlorine?
Thanks, Chris

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
So long as it holds water it will work. As far as cleaning it up....just a little work is all that's needed. I prefer to use straight muratic acid in a spray bottle (set to stream, instead of spray). Just be sure to do it outside in a well ventilated area and to NOT stand downwind of any fumes. That and razor blades work quite well.

-Ryan

pherfect
10-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Where can I get the acid?

Darrell Ward
10-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Swimming pool supply stores, building supply centers that sell masonry supplies.

Harriett
10-06-2008, 05:38 PM
White vinegar and get a paint scraper tool that holds a 4" wide blade and you should get it looking great without having to use the acid.
It's worked for me.
Harriett

pherfect
10-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah I think I like the vinegar idea. But what about the smell or any residue? Does it stick around after rinsing with water?

Ed13
10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I like to get it running with fresh water, add muriatic acid and let it run for a day or two, drain then scrape with a razor or same thing with bleach instead of the acid. After it drains it seems to me to scrape easier. Or use bleach solution in a similar way as Ryan uses the acid

pherfect
10-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Hmm, another good idea:)

Harriett
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Yeah I think I like the vinegar idea. But what about the smell or any residue? Does it stick around after rinsing with water?

What I have done in the past is to CAREFULLY scrape with a wide razor blade first, and when I have scraped the residue off, I use a damp paper towel to clean up the power at the bottom of the tank. Then I make a strong solution with water and white vinegar and with a plastic scrubber thing hit the whole tank. After it has been thoroghly scrubbed and rinsed, I just look for spots missed and go after it again as needed. The vinegar smells pretty much but is not toxic like bleach. It goes away when you rinse the tank out pretty quick. White vinegar is used to get rid of salt and crystal build up and to clean glass for non aquarium applications also.
Best regards
Harriett