PDA

View Full Version : pump water up 2 floors?

Sandy W
10-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Does anybody have any recommendations to get water from a tank in the basement to a 29gal on the second floor? We're trying to set up a breeding tank and will want to do water changes.
Sandy

Graham
10-12-2008, 09:05 PM
Look at pond pumps but you're going to need something that can handle a 20'+ head...that's substantial...luging buckets might be easier that the cost of the pump

discussmith
10-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Graham is correct. They make high volume pumps that will handle more than 20' of head pressure, but be prepared to spend close to $200. Also with that high of head the volume pumped drops dramatically, so it will take some time if you change a large amount of water. Another consideration is if you use a hose you need to be careful not to have any restrictions like kinks or flat spots.

rowedder
10-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi Sandy,
I would agree with the guys above. You may perhaps need a high pressure pump with a high head capability @ 20-25 feet (height). Try this site...

http://www.aquariumpros.com/c-WPex.html

This is the site where I plan on purchasing my next pump if I ever need one. They seem to have decent prices and a wide variety of pumps to choose from.

alpine
10-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Sandy, I think COSMO here in Simply does what you are trying to do with moving water from downstairs to the fishroom. he might be able to help you with that.

Roberto.

subcooler
10-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Pumps are available to fill high head requirements(20' or more), but cost is high.
Easiest solution would be relocate tank-just my opinion!
Good luck with your breeding,
Rob

tpastrana
10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I use a water pump with the specs very simular to this below, I have a 30 gallon drum in my basement with a R/O unit that fills automatically. I put the pump in the drum when doing water changes on the 2nd floor. I think the average ceiling height is 8'. I think on the 2nd floor would be another 8 ft. The total being 16 ft to the top of the 2nd floor. I counted the 8ft from the basement to the top of my 90 gallon tank on the 2nd floor which I cant remember now but it was around 14ft total. The pump below is a lot like the one I have and only spent about $40.00 dollars and it pumps my clean R/O water right into my 90 gallon with out a problem. I believe mine has a max of 17 feet lift. It doesnt matter how far away the tank is, it would be the height that is all the concern I would think. I have been using mine for amost 2 years and do not know what I would do without it. Just a thought incase your ceilings are not that high.

Price is for a brand NEW universal 1/2 hp dirty water submersible pump w/float
Motor: 120V/60Hz 400W
Great for draining services & water transfer for pools, boats, and yachts
Includes automatic floating switch, power cable, vent valve, and cross recessed screws
Non-corrosive poly material body
The temperature of the liquid handled should not exceed 35ºC
Flow rate: 1980 GPH
Maximum lift: 17 ft
Max. particle size: 1-3/16"
CE ISO9001 certified
Installation instructions ARE included

Cosmo
10-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Yep, I move water from the basement to the second floor using a diaphram pump I got from Jehmco. Think it cost's somewhere in the $150 range. The pump uses 3/8 RO type tubing and fittings and is made to move liquids around manufacturing plants. AquaTec also makes one.

I drilled through the wall behind the tank, then through the floor on the second floor and ran the tubing to from the pump to the tank. I mounted the on/off switch under the tank so I wouldn't have to run up and down to turn it on and off.

Jehmco also has a neat float controlled auto shutoff that you can wire in series and it turns the pump off when the tank is full. VERY good idea to have one unless you're going to always stand there watching :p

John at Jehmco or RandalB can probably help you out with more detail and pricing.

Only other option I saw at the time was a swimmiing pool pump that was somewhere in the 4-$500 range :(

good luck
Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Ive recently had to jump this same hurdle in my apartment. 90 gal tank on 2nd floor, storage tank in garage (1st floor). If you're just moving water to fill the tank, then you can go a bit cheap. I went to Ebay and bought a Gen-X PCX-70H remanufactured pump for $135. It is pressure rated with a max head of 32'. Overkill? Maybe, but I do like to be able to have the tank fill within a reasonable time. For $135, I couldnt pass it up. There are many still available for interested.

-Ryan