PDA

View Full Version : Looking for supplies for shipping

jimmyjoe
10-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Hello to all that are experienced discus fish shippers, need the supplies for shipping fish. Don't really know what all would be needed but to be a success at maybe selling some of my offspring. Thanks to all for some much needed advice.................Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-16-2008, 12:08 PM
www.4fishstuff.com (http://www.4fishstuff.com)
www.jehmco.com (http://www.jehmco.com)

Both of the above websites are good places to get shipping supplies....everything but oxygen.

-Ryan

Graham
10-16-2008, 01:33 PM
O2 bottles and regulators you can get from from a welding supplies shop

G

jimmyjoe
10-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Sorry to ask all these questions, but all the different sizes of bags and boxes and the thickness of the bags? What would be a good size for juveniles and or small adult discus. So, if anyone can give me a clue on these questions that would help. Thanks again everyone .......................Jim

Dkarc@Aol.com
10-16-2008, 11:06 PM
A tall box is ideal for discus. So that right there eliminates the common "Florida" style shipping styro box. I like an internal height of 12-13"+...give or take an inch. For bags....if you can find them and afford them, 4 mil bags are the best. I like to use 20"x6" bags for fish under 3-4" in length. More or less, take the length of the fish, and subtract roughly 2" to get a comfortable width for the fish. You could go smaller, but I find it means cramped conditions and less water for the fish....higher chances of problems. Also, if you can find them, get bag liners than go with whatever size you choose to get. They provide an extra layer of puncture protection. I have some special 6 mil liners that I use for my bags. 1 liner and 2 bags (4 mil ea) is usually sufficient for almost all fish that I ship.

One problem most people have is that they dont need an entire case of bags (usually 1,000 bags). Anything less than a case, and you pay much more per bag.

Send me an email: OrlandoDiscus@gmail.com and I can mail you some 4 mil bags and liners to get you started.

-Ryan