PDA

View Full Version : overflow removal

cich4fish
10-19-2008, 10:40 PM
has anyone removed an overflow and had any problems?I just bought a tank from someone and it has a overflow but I do not want to set up a sump.I want to remove it and hopefully not damage the silicone seal.Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Eric

CraigG
10-19-2008, 11:41 PM
you can still use a canister with it just can't use gravity to set it up. You can just plug up the holes.

Not sure about removing.

I have a reef ready 75 and I think its great while using a sump. You can hide all your equipment in the sump and medicate or add chemicals to it. I add Flourish Excel, Discus Essentials, and API Leaf Zone to the sump just so my fish don't swim into anything.

I also fill my sump for my water changes. This way everything isn't splashing around if I fill it through the tank.

Ed13
10-20-2008, 08:30 PM
It's very tough to remove and you may damage the silicone seam near the bottom. It is not worth it IMHO. Just plug the holes by using a valve connected to the bulkhead. Might not want to run a canister through the overflow as evaporation may stop it from working completely, unless you mod the overflow. Could be use to hide thermometers and/or heaters though.

rowedder
10-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Why not use the overflow to your advantage? If you plan on using a canister filter just hook up the intake tube from your filter to the overflow by using reducers with the correct size nipple that will allow you to clamp the canister filters inlet tube to the nipple. Your exhaust or water coming from the filter back to the tank could go directly into your tank, not in the overflow of course and preferably on the other side of the tank away from the overflow. I use my overflows that way and it works great! You could even hide your tank heater in the overflow away from site. :) For the exhaust water I got a piece of PVC and drilled holes down the center of the tube about every one inch I drilled a hole...all the way down it, then I capped the bottom end so the water would go through the holes so it would make a sideways current that moved all levels of the tanks water instead of just the surface of the tank. The PVC pipe was small enough to fit inside the canister filters supplied tubing and was suction cupped to the side of my tank using some spare heater suction cups. I'll tell you...... much better than "getting rid of" the overflow. JMO. Good Luck

ncyracer
10-21-2008, 01:49 AM
I have had an aquarium that had a sump i removed everything and than had a large hile. What i did was get a tube that would barly fit than raped silicone around it. Let it drr put an end cap on and there i had a custome plug that can be reused.