PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a good TANK DIVIDER?

Dave27
10-24-2008, 09:38 PM
I have some fish I need to separate.
I have a couple of over eaters and a few slower eaters that need to be feed differently.
50 gal tank.

thanks

seanyuki
10-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Hi there

Check with Hans(Discus Hans)he has those sponge dividers from Europe and cut it to your own liking.I though I saw it in his website.

Cheers
Francis:)

PS

Hans could you post some pics of those sponge dividers:D

GrillMaster
10-25-2008, 08:51 AM
These work good. Can find them at most hardware stores pretty cheap.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj243/basstalker/S5001219-1.jpg

Graham
10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Plastic egg crating that is used on lighting fixtures

brewmaster15
10-25-2008, 09:14 AM
These work good. Can find them at most hardware stores pretty cheap. yep....I use this too. ;) 1/2"vinyl coated hardware cloth.bendable, shape to fit...tank safe.:)

-al

Esquire
10-25-2008, 10:47 AM
yep....I use this too. ;) 1/2"vinyl coated hardware cloth.bendable, shape to fit...tank safe.:)

-al

Great, Is that what its called? Hardware cloth.

Off to Lowes, just like every other day of the week, it seems.

I'm surprised that is fish safe

I was looking at Plastic egg crate and was wondering if it was fish safe also. Paranoid about fish safe I am.

Graham
10-25-2008, 12:25 PM
both are just fine

Esquire
10-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks,
I would think that grey plastic covering or the metal screen would mess with the water.
I'm going to try the egg crate.
Not sure how to secure it though yet.
Any ideas.

GrillMaster
10-25-2008, 06:59 PM
silicon...You can also use the suction cups that come with heaters on both sides. I have done that before

Esquire
10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
thanks suction cups worked great!

Ronald
10-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I also used egg crate.

I just added some fiber on the end of the sides and that did the trick.
I divided for a pair that had laid eggs in a 120 gal.
To keep the fry from wandering off I put some fine mesh screen on the egg crate. Worked real good.

Regards
Ronald

uli and ria
11-01-2008, 11:11 AM
swisstropicals has a filter that fits great into any tank. google or chck kingfish for web site.

Discus-Hans
11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I only use this, but I think that's known by now lol lol

With all my breeding tanks, I had a spawn in my show fish tank on the glass, so I put a divider in.

Glad I got a HUGE stock, for use and sale lol lol lol

Hans

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3089.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3090.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3091.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3093.jpg

April
11-05-2008, 01:21 PM
heh..that foam is a great idea!!!! easy..and safe..and fits well. : )

Jorge
09-21-2009, 10:55 AM
I only use this, but I think that's known by now lol lol

With all my breeding tanks, I had a spawn in my show fish tank on the glass, so I put a divider in.

Glad I got a HUGE stock, for use and sale lol lol lol

Hans

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3089.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3090.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3091.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/Filter%20foam/100_3093.jpg

Hans,

Where did you bought this?

Does any one knows if this can be found in Home Depot?

Discus-Hans
09-21-2009, 12:20 PM
We have it in stock Jorge, we import it from Germany,

Shoot me an email discus-hans@comcast.net

Hans

April
09-21-2009, 12:28 PM
get it from hans. great stuff. poret foam. open cell . dead easy just cut and stick it in..the fish cant move it. unless maybe a baracuda or great white..if they are breeding get blue.

Discus-Hans
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks April, we got light color green now, even better for breeding,

Hans

Discus-Hans
09-21-2009, 10:33 PM
we normal sell them in 39.5" x 39.5" (100 x 100 cm) or a 1/4 (+/- 20" x 20" or 50 x 50cm) x 2" (5cm)

What I can do for you is cut a full sheet 39.5" x 39.5" in 1/2 for you and ship that.

Let me tell you why only a full, 1/2 or 1/4 sheet, if I would ship all kind of sizes I would have a lot of "left over" pieces at the end.

Now I can put that in the price, buy 1/3 and pay for 1/2 but I don't see that as fair to my customers.

The pieces you've left over you can use in a filter, etc.

Full = $100.00 (39.5" x 39.5")
1/2 = $50.00 (+/- 20" x 39.5")
1/4 = $25.00 (+/- 20" x 20")

+ shipping (need your zip for a quote)

Cut the sheet 1/4" bigger as the inside of your tank and it will stand up nice, not only as a divider but it's also a PERFECT filter in your tank. Transfer the water (pump or airlift) from one side of the divider to the other side and it will function as divider AND filter,

Hans

seanyuki
09-21-2009, 10:49 PM
hey mr hans can you post a picture of green poret foam when you have time.

Discus-Hans
09-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Mr. Francis, I will try to make a shot tomorrow,

Hans

Discus-Hans
09-22-2009, 07:33 PM
for Mr. Francis:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_4071.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_4072.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_4074.jpg

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_4077.jpg

Color green:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/Hans-Discus/new%20stuff/101_4078.jpg

Hans

seanyuki
09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Wow Hans that green colour one is awesome....thanks for posting it and will spread the news to my friends in B.C.:)

j_li8
09-22-2009, 10:34 PM
i almost stopped looking for the green foam when i saw all of those eggs. how thick are the sheets?

Discus-Hans
09-22-2009, 11:28 PM
2" Joe

April
09-23-2009, 01:42 AM
i really like the green. maybe i should order another box of green soon. im almost out. few sheets left.
i give small cycled pieces of foam to beginners starting a fish tank up. then..they are cycled and ready to go. no new tank syndrome . dont want kids with thier first tank to have a bad experience. wouldnt be good if goldie the goldfish died..so far they all have had good running tanks. thats what i do with my scraps. or..throw themin the aquaclears.

Discus-Hans
09-23-2009, 03:18 AM
no problem April, we still have a "few" sheets lol lol

Hans

Dutch dude
09-23-2009, 07:57 AM
I used the foam divider as well and it works great (at least for temporarily). Drawback is that dirt particles such as flakes and bbs attach to the surface. I managed to keep it clean enough for a couple of weeks (vacuum it during a wc and brush it) but over time it starts to collect (imo) to much dirt. This can be solved by taking it out and replace it or take it out and rinse the foam sheet once in a while.

I expected Hans would have told you abouth the real original Hamburger mattenfilter. It works almost the same as a tank divider but you need to move it entirely to the left or to the right. You need to keep only 2 inch between the side glass and the filter foam, put a pump in there and pump the water back into the tank. This way the water will flow through the foam. This creates a huge sponge filter with a very large surface. Bacteria will have plenty of time to do their job and for that the period for cleaning is very very long. If you use electrical PVC tubing of 3/4 inch, make a bend in it and put an air hose in it you have a system to air lift the water. This makes a perfect filter for a breeding tank. The fry can find food particles on the foam and there will be a minor and easely controllable flow but still plenty of filter mass to do a proper job. The mattenfilter is a very cheap and easy to DIY filter.

Hans used a Hamburger mattenfilter in his big display tank with Alenquers and Santarem.

Groetjes,

Ruurd

tdiscusman
09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
I used plastic sign like the "For Sale" sign (buy at hardware store), it looked like card board but made out of plastic: cut to fit, drill some 1/2" holes and hold in place with some suction cups.

Tony

hedut
09-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Hmmm... very intersting:D:D.

Eddie
09-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Hans! That is a monster spawn, you better throw another cone in there so they can keep going!!!

Eddie

Discus-Hans
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
I used the foam divider as well and it works great (at least for temporarily). Drawback is that dirt particles such as flakes and bbs attach to the surface. I managed to keep it clean enough for a couple of weeks (vacuum it during a wc and brush it) but over time it starts to collect (imo) to much dirt. This can be solved by taking it out and replace it or take it out and rinse the foam sheet once in a while.

2 Bristle noses in the tank after the fry are free swimming and problem solved, takes in the same time care of the food left overs lol lol

I expected Hans would have told you abouth the real original Hamburger mattenfilter. It works almost the same as a tank divider but you need to move it entirely to the left or to the right. You need to keep only 2 inch between the side glass and the filter foam, put a pump in there and pump the water back into the tank. This way the water will flow through the foam. This creates a huge sponge filter with a very large surface. Bacteria will have plenty of time to do their job and for that the period for cleaning is very very long. If you use electrical PVC tubing of 3/4 inch, make a bend in it and put an air hose in it you have a system to air lift the water. This makes a perfect filter for a breeding tank. The fry can find food particles on the foam and there will be a minor and easely controllable flow but still plenty of filter mass to do a proper job. The mattenfilter is a very cheap and easy to DIY filter.

Hans used a Hamburger mattenfilter in his big display tank with Alenquers and Santarem.

Groetjes,

Ruurd

I told this a few times Ruurd and don't want to tell the same story over and over again, I tried that a few weeks ago and not everybody was to happy with that lol lol

Hans

Dutch dude
10-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Hoi Hans,

I like the idea of the BN to clean the foam. Do you keep baby bn's for that reason or adults? Won't they be attracted by the wigglers feeding from the secretion of mom and dad? I know BN don't only feed on plant matter and to me it sounds like a risk of fry getting eaten.

Abouth the mattenfilter,......It is realy a great working easy to set up filter and IMO it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I gues most people spend more time on selecting a canister as to check out other filter methods. I rarely see a matten filter while it works so good and is perfectly suited for a breeding tank. Thats why I mentioned it. I hope I didn't bored the readers by mentioning it again.

By the way Hans,...something I didn't told you yet but you might have read it,...I got my first batch of fry from the RT pairs growing close to 1 1/2 inch now. Currently a pair with wigglers and a pair with eggs.

Discus-Hans
10-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Hoi Hans,

I like the idea of the BN to clean the foam. Do you keep baby bn's for that reason or adults? Won't they be attracted by the wigglers feeding from the secretion of mom and dad? I know BN don't only feed on plant matter and to me it sounds like a risk of fry getting eaten.

Abouth the mattenfilter,......It is realy a great working easy to set up filter and IMO it doesn't get the attention it deserves. I gues most people spend more time on selecting a canister as to check out other filter methods. I rarely see a matten filter while it works so good and is perfectly suited for a breeding tank. Thats why I mentioned it. I hope I didn't bored the readers by mentioning it again.

By the way Hans,...something I didn't told you yet but you might have read it,...I got my first batch of fry from the RT pairs growing close to 1 1/2 inch now. Currently a pair with wigglers and a pair with eggs.

Ruurd, I would be more worried about the Discus killing the BN lol lol that happens more to me as a BN giving a Discus a hard time.

The foam is a great way to go, but I think USA is not really ready for it, takes them some time to see the light lol lol lol

Good going on the RT's don't breed to many and put Stendker out of business lol lol lol lol

Hans

Dutch dude
10-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Ruurd, I would be more worried about the Discus killing the BN lol lol that happens more to me as a BN giving a Discus a hard time.

I keep a Peckoltia and a BN in a discus communety tank along with some Apistogramma hongsloi and found all fish compatible and never had an issue. When the discus were/are in the mood for spawning some pairs chased the apisto's but thats it. I never seen the BN or Peckoltia bother a discus. Dough a breeding tank is a diferent situation. When a pair does have fry they become very territorial and indeed can harass a BN. A lifted small flat piece of slate can be a save "cave" for a BN. Dough I would be woried abouth the BN snacking of the fry during the night. BN's also feed on pellets and frozen foods and I also seen them snack on live foods so why not small discus fry.

The foam is a great way to go, but I think USA is not really ready for it, takes them some time to see the light lol lol lol

Hahahaha,....I gues if we mention it enough they get used to it slow enough to become at least curious. I also expect a lot of people have the small "corner" version of a Hamburger mattenfilter in mind while we are talking abouth a real original mattenfilter. There is no easier and cheaper filter like that and I would realy advice to check it out.

Good going on the RT's don't breed to many and put Stendker out of business lol lol lol lol

Hahaha,....can you mentally prepare Jorg for a new large Dutch discus breeder taking over business? I gues it will be a shock for him! Hahaha,...without kidding,....I only want to breed small numbers good qualety fish (fry of Stendker discus so thats a start) to earn back some of my expenses and help me financing the hobby. I also have fun in the challenge of breeding. I learned an awful lot on only the first two spawns (and made some mistakes as well) and it defenately gained my knowledge on discus.

Soooo Jorg doesn't have to worry abouth business after all :p

Dutch dude
10-01-2009, 03:02 PM
To the people who did get curious,....here a link with all you need to know.

http://www.janrigter.nl/mattenfilter/

Chad Hughes
10-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Hans

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't this filter system work just like a sponge filter? It's just a dense sponge and you're pulling water through it, right? Please correct me if I've missed something here.

If you think about it, all filters do pretty much the same thing. Pull/push water through media like sponges, rings, carbon, balls, whatever.

I've seen these in action. It's pretty cool, but still just a sponge filter.

I think the USA is ready for a sponge filter. LOL!

Best wishes!

Dutch dude
10-02-2009, 05:39 AM
Chad,

Your right, basicaly it is a sponge filter. The big advantage compared to the so popular cylindrical shaped sponge filters is that the Hamburger mattenfilter does have a huge surface aria, requires a slow flow to give bacteria time to do their job and does require only 1 or 2 cleanings a year. The slow flow and large surface aria and the posebilety to use an air lift make it such an attractive filter for especialy breeding tanks. No problem to shot it down for a couple of day's (when fry start free swimming) as long as you provide an air stone in the filter compartment to guarantee a decent oxygen level. So you won't have the problems that people face when they shot down a canister. Also an advantage is the relatively low price for the foam sheets and only DIY capabilities is to be able to cut out a surface equal to the side glass of your tank. 2 ft of electrical tubing and an air pump (or a small powerhead) and your ready to go. Ooh by the way,....I basicaly talk abouth the original Hamburger mattenfilter and not abouth the smaler corner versions.

Chad Hughes
10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I think they work great!

Best wishes!

Chad,

Your right, basicaly it is a sponge filter. The big advantage compared to the so popular cylindrical shaped sponge filters is that the Hamburger mattenfilter does have a huge surface aria, requires a slow flow to give bacteria time to do their job and does require only 1 or 2 cleanings a year. The slow flow and large surface aria and the posebilety to use an air lift make it such an attractive filter for especialy breeding tanks. No problem to shot it down for a couple of day's (when fry start free swimming) as long as you provide an air stone in the filter compartment to guarantee a decent oxygen level. So you won't have the problems that people face when they shot down a canister. Also an advantage is the relatively low price for the foam sheets and only DIY capabilities is to be able to cut out a surface equal to the side glass of your tank. 2 ft of electrical tubing and an air pump (or a small powerhead) and your ready to go. Ooh by the way,....I basicaly talk abouth the original Hamburger mattenfilter and not abouth the smaler corner versions.