PDA

View Full Version : Few Water Storage unit questions.

CraigG
10-25-2008, 06:10 PM
This Sunday on 10-26-08 I'm planning on setting up a tank in my cabniet under my 75 gallon tank. Some where between 10-29 Gallons all depends on what I can fit with my other equipment.

I'm also going to be redoing the piping under my tank with PvC instead of tubing. Just so its easier to work on.

I have a 75G reef ready tank with an over flow.

Here are my questions:

1. Pump or power head?
2. Is a heater needed in the storage unit?
3. Should the Storage unit connect into my inlet on my Sump? Straight into the sump water bin? Into the return pipe to my tank?
4. Do I have to keep the water moving in the storage unit? If so whats the best way?

Also another tips or suggestions before I start this would be appreciated.

On a side note.

I'm also thinking of putting an output on it for water changes. Only thing I was thinking is that there wouldn't be anything syphioning the waste on the bottom. Not that there is much waste on the bottom of my tank. Not sure where it goes unless the plants use it up.

Is there an issue without syphoning out the bottom of a tank? I have a sand substrate.

Don Trinko
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Most discus keepers heat the water for water change (WC) to a temperature close to that of the tank. Pumping the water into the tank is easier than ussing a bucket.
If you search for Water change I'm sure you will get a lot of ideas how others do it. Circulating the water in the storage tank will help remove clorine quicker. Do not keep the water in the storage too long or it will get scum on/in it. 2 to 5 days is ok but much over a week you will get scum. (If your water is clorinated the clorine kills the scum bacteria but after a day the clorine is gone) Don T.

kirkp
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Check with the local water utility to see if they are using chlorine or chloramine. Most utilities are switching over to chloramine as it is more stable than chlorine. Also, aerating the water won't remove chloramine, you need a dechlorinator.

Kirk