PDA

View Full Version : a living background question.

hag
11-01-2008, 10:34 AM
hello all!

I was thinking of making a living background with java moss and i found this page http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall.htm

Was wondering if anyone has tried this or is there a different method? will the back ( the moss/mesh that is facing the glass) will rot and cause nitrates. I'm a little worried about that. its a good time to test tho...I don't have discus yet but will be getting them after Christmas when i have more money.:)

Apistomaster
11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
That plastic mesh will never decay or harm your fish.
It is harder to do this and have it work than the author of the moss wall web site implies.
It is also a built in fish trap, especially for smaller plecos and Corydoras. They always find a way to get behind it.
Good luck.

hag
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
its not the plastic mesh Im worrying about decaying but the backside of the moss not seeing the light so close to the glass. but I'm suer its ok. I'm gooing to try it soon tho.

Thanks for the comment. hope the fish don't get stuck!

Apistomaster
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
The back side of the moss forms anchoring tendrils that do not require any direct light. That is why and how the Moss can form the wall or grow attached to wood.

michu
12-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Please post some pics after it grows out!