PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Brewmaster15 = Mecca (for me)

blkrob
11-02-2008, 01:07 AM
I haven't been a member long. I do alot of reading. I think I finally have something to post.

I found out I was going to be in the CT. area a few weeks ago. I sent Brewmaster15=Al a few p.m.'s asking if I could come by while in town. He didn't hesitate to say "yes". He was willing to work with the time schedule I had. When I called he gave me the address and a time was set. Needless to say the family chewed up more time and I was running late. He called to check on me.:).

When I got to his home I was greeted by the Mrs. by name! The kids were nice also. I saw a tank filled with moss and shrimp as soon as I stepped in. In the living room was a stunning biotope with heckle's. Al came up and I went to check out the fishroom. I had no idea how stunning it was going to be. That was before I even turned the corner to see the other tanks. I believe he said it was a few thousand gallons. The fish were absolutely beautiful. I've been to many of the LFS here in Denver and I'm afraid I will never go back. Not even to look. The fish were large, not shy and had fabulous colors. The kind of stuff you read about. There were fish in every stage of life. All I could do was gawk. This was his personal collection. This is why I love discus.

I also got to meet Bastalker=Mark. I had been asking him questions from TPT on my set up when I started this process and followed him to SD. Small world right. I got to hear about were the hobby may be headed, thoughts on heckles in several areas, planted tanks, explained how I killed my fish and to see some of the contest fish. They actually asked me what I was planning to work with. I wanted to ask some questions, but found myself staring into the tanks the entire time.:D They even asked if I had eaten!

I wish I had taken a camera, but I'm sure you know it does them no justice. I returned home with some new ideas and some future goals. I'm truly glad I went, which is normally outside my comfort zone. It didn't feel awkward at all. Al and Mark, thank you!

I have fish from Obsessed=Paul a member here. He also told me about the website. He's been a great help.:angel: I'm waiting on his next batch. I purchased 2 fish from LFS after I lost 6 of Paul's beauties. ALL MY FAULT. The don't compare to the 2 of his I have left in anyway. Paul, thank you for assuring me I could do this.

Well, thanks for letting me share. I have had a great experience with everyone on this forum that I have been in contact with!!!

scolley
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
blkrob, being lucky enough to have met both Al and Mark (and the Mrs!), I can say that you spent time with some of the nicest people I know. And it shows here in the community. IMO, a very large part is because Al sets the tone. He gathers wonderful people around himself to help with this online community, and set the standard for warmth and cheer. All of which I know you got to see first hand at his home in reflected in his family. And Mark - of course - gets major nice guy points himself. ;)

And what about those fish, huh? I understand completely your thoughts about never going back to a pet shop! After seeing those fish, you'd be hard pressed to find a retail establishment that compared (though it's sounding like Houston Aquarium Warehouse could be the exception!).

I'm glad you had that wonderful experience. And thanks for sharing. :)

GrillMaster
11-02-2008, 10:41 AM
And Mark - of course - gets major nice guy points himself.

Aw shucks Steve...:o Yer not to bad yerself my friend!! :) Cya next Sat. :D :D

It was a pleasure meetin ya at Al's Rob! I wish ya all the best in your future endeavors! :)

subcooler
11-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Blkrob-Having visited Al's in the past I can't agree enough with your entire post!
Al & Family very hospitable folks,upstairs tanks impressive enough-then you make your way to the basement fishroom & are amazed!
Al's been there for my many discus questions etc...
And all this without ever buying any fish from him(tanks always full when I'm in his area:()
NE Discus Club meetings or road trips(Balt.) are always a great time for all who attend!
Best of luck with your discus!
See you around the forum,
Rob

brewmaster15
11-03-2008, 09:22 AM
You Guys are too much! :) But thanks alot!!!:D

Rob, It was a real pleasure meeting you...next time you are in town we'll have to get together again...maybe it'll correspond with a Northeast get together.

Take care!

-al