PDA

View Full Version : Aquaclear reverse siphoning during w/c

scolley
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I just broke down and got myself my first AquaClear Filter.

I did a 50% water change tonight, and so I turned the filter off. I didn't want it to burn up sucking air. But when I did the W/C, AquaClear appears to have reverse siphoned, and emptied itself into the tank. I say that because when I went to turn it back on the filter was dry, and had to have more water poured into it before it could prime itself again.

What's the solution here? Leave the pump on while doing a w/c? I hope so, because if the answer is re-prime the filter after every w/c, but pouring in more water, I'm gonna have a barely used AquaClear shortly...

Thanks.

Sir Knight
11-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I have two on my 65 and both do that

Joe W.

marnold
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I have two myself and both do it.I extended the tube down further and only siphon down to just above the intake.By the way awsome tank and fish scolley.Truely gives me something to aspire too.I have a 90 gallon planted that is just now being stocked with discus.Battling a little hair algea hope it doesnt get worse if i add more fish.Good luck with the ac.

Bobears
11-03-2008, 12:23 AM
6 AC's here and I have to report the same.

Greg Richardson
11-03-2008, 12:37 AM
I run my tube down to about 4 inches off bottom. When I'm doing larger wc I put my clean tube or pump right at tube opening and get the crude when it comes out. Those AC's are great. Many times I have run mine dry while waiting to refill.

scolley
11-03-2008, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the help folks. From you feedback I know that I've not set anything up incorrectly - that it commonly reverse siphons. Even to the point that Greg takes advantage of that reverse siphon by sucking up the grunge that comes out... no doubt greatly reducing the TDS in his tank by doing so. Cool!

But I'm doing an automatic w/c when this happens, so I can't do that. In fact, that's why the reverse siphon is such a problem for me... I can't re-prime the filter because I'm nowhere around.

So it sounds like I can overcome the reverse siphon by doing two things:

1) Extend my down tube down to below the low water mark of my w/c's.
2) Leave the pump running during the w/c's.

Is that correct? Could someone please confirm?

These are simple things for me to check myself, but the tank in question is my quarantine tank with new fish, and I'd like to minimize unnecessary mucking about with plumbing - no unnecessary stress, and all that.

Thanks for the kind words marnold. ;)

brewmaster15
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Steve,
That's the problem with aquaclears...As soon as the water level drops below the intake tube it will back syphon and drain...The only way to get by it as Greg says... extend the intake tube down past where your lowest water level will be...and be sure all the connections are snug... If you do this and keepit running...it should be fine.

I suppose if you wanted to try and run the intake tube with a custom bend it may prevent that problem...no idea there...just a suggestion.

Hth,
al

If for some reason that AC doesn't work out....look into magum HOT...These don't back syphon and really are good mini-canisters...I have one or two I use here.

ashaysathe
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
So it sounds like I can overcome the reverse siphon by doing two things:

1) Extend my down tube down to below the low water mark of my w/c's.
2) Leave the pump running during the w/c's.

Is that correct? Could someone please confirm?

Yes to both above.
I have 2 AC 110 running. I have extended the tube low and more often w/c level is just tangential or just above to the start of the tube holes (from the top) where it sucks water in. This level itself is about 35% atleast of the tank, which is a "good size" w/c.

But if at all I do more w/c I have left the pump running for a short while and it bounces back, but the pump is not fully dry. I use my prefilter to make it suck little water all the time. This stage in the "cycle" is for 5-7 mins. This is a very infrequent.

Hope this helps

korbi_doc
11-03-2008, 12:25 PM
:D Hey steve, all my tanks have ACs & I love'm....& yes, I extended the tubes down also & leave'm running....Also have Magnum HOTS, but their use is somewhat limited in comparison...JMO

.So, just send me yours, I'll treat it right & It'll work for it's living, lol......

Dottie ;);)

DavidH
11-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I run my AC while I'm taking out the water. Raise the intake tube just a little and the siphoning will stop. There will be water in the AC which will protect the motor. Then shut-off the AC when the tube is clear and continue to siphon. When you start back up push the tube back into place and it will kick in by itself. Hope this is clear enough, always works for me.

Dave

GrillMaster
11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
You can do what I do. I leave the AC's runnin. Suck all the crap off the bottom and then just let the python just start emtyin the tank. Place the hose from the storage bins in the tank and just before the syphon from the AC's stop, I kick on the storage bin pump and start pumpin the bin water into the tank. The syphon never breaks. :D

discussmith
11-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Steve; I know a handy guy like you will like this one. I had the same problem and I would split my auto fill system and dump some of the return water right into the filter box and just let it run through the filter into the tank so when things came back on the filter had water.

scolley
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
Thanks folks for all the good advice! I fixed the problem, just as was indicated possible here... I extended the AC intake tube below the level of the low water line, and left the filter on throughout the process of water changing. Noisy yes. But very effective.

Thanks for all the help.

Steve; I know a handy guy like you will like this one. I had the same problem and I would split my auto fill system and dump some of the return water right into the filter box and just let it run through the filter into the tank so when things came back on the filter had water.
Now my hat's off to you on that one. I'd like to think I was clever enough to think of that myself. But clearly I wasn't! :o

That is a wonderful solution, and would be ideal if you did not want your return below your low water line. Thanks! I'll keep that on in my back pocket for future use. ;)

And to everyone else, Thank You! With the right information that you provided me, the problem 'twas easily fixed!

alpine
11-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I leave my 110s on while I do my 80 % water changes so the siphoning is not lost . I have not had any problems as of yet.
I think the Aquaclear 110s are maybe the best filters out there. My Eheims are dry and in storage.

Roberto.

Liaquat Sain
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Quality HangOn power filters are not that cheap in South Africa..
SO, when a unit lasts, and lasts it's really great value.

I too had to learn that I could add new water after changes, via my AquaClear filter , to KEEP them running.

I still have mini, 150, 200, 300 "old sizes" in operation since 1985.

The few times I was unaware of syphon breaks, some AquaClears ran almost 2weeks without so much as a hiccup(just a HOT motor) when restarted MANUALLY.

NOWADAYS, I glue acrylic or glass panes across short side of tank, at water level.
AquaClear sits INSIDE tank, part submerged.
Tanks can now be placed closer together.
Gives me MORE space for tanks.

Extended intake pipe, with new placement
Syphon hardly EVER breaks.

I even use these units INSIDE sumpfilters, across INTERNAL dividing panes..keeps running perfectly...

Thanks for such encouraging info guys.