PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes

ShinShin
11-09-2008, 02:30 AM
While touring the Seattle area unsuccessfully for the appearance of any nice wild discus and finding only maybe 40-50 blue and Heckels that were very average lfs fish and not spending a dime, I saw that one shop had Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes which I have seen advertised but never had seen them in a store. I've spent a ton of cash over the years on pellets and flakes that my discus would just spit out if they even decided to give them a taste at all. Since I did have success with ON's Formula One flakes, I decided to give them a try.

First of all, they are ocean plankton and salmon based food with other seafood and ingredients added. I like that these are the main two ingredients (ocean plankton and salmon). I have promoted wild salmon mix for years now. 52.5% protein for muscle mass and 11.4% fat for energy and reproductive developement.

When I fed a tank of 10 late stage juveniles, they immediately went for the food, taking it right off the top which they seldom do. All 10 ate it, not one spit the food out testing it. I fed it 3 times to them during the course of the early evening and night.

This success on a first attempt feeding and its ingredients makes me give this food a high recommendation. Give it a try if you haven't.

Anyone use or try this flake?

Mat

Eddie
11-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Hey Mat, thanks for the tip. I was looking at ONs flake since my fish already take any flake and it does seem to have a nice mix. I will give them a try!

Eddie

seanyuki
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Larry,

I am using both Ocean Nutrition Formula One & Two flakes plus also feeding them Formula One & Two Marine pellets too.....They are enjoying these products.....Now I am trying to give them ON Cichlid Vegi Formula also.

Cheers
Francis:)

ShinShin
11-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Francis,

I don't know that that would be necessary. The other ON products contain enough vegetable matter for discus. Look at the protein content of the ON vegi and if it isn't 50% I wouldn't bother. I'd go with the ON Discus.

Mat

dpt8
11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up !! I was searching for a powerful flake.. David

MSD
11-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I found them too, they have the same ingredients as the Cichlid flakes basically, in different proportions, and they look like a smaller size flake. The fish do love and eat them, I also use the Tetra Crisps as you can never have too diverse a diet, and they love to eat those too.

Ingredients (Cichlid flake)
  Salmon fillets, Euphasia superba, adult brine shrimp, wheat germ, Euphasia pacifica plankton, tuna eggs, marine algae, squid, brine shrimp nauplii, wheat flour, soya-lecithin, Spirulina, salmon egg oil, kelp, sea clams, MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, select amino acids (DL-Arginine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Beta?ne, TL-Tryptophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), biotin (Vitamin H), Vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), panthotenic acid (Vitamin B5), menadione (Vitamin K3), folacin (Vitamin B9), cholicalciferol (Vitamin D3), niacin (Vitamin B3), retinol (Vitamin A1), pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)), minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments.

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein (min) 52.4%
Fiber (max) 0.5%
Fat (min) 12.7%
Ash (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 8.3%

Ingredients (Discus flake)
  Euphasia pacifica plankton, salmon fillets, squid, wheat, Euphasia superba plankton, kelp, mussels, tuna eggs, adult brine shrimp, soya-lecithin, garlic, MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meal, select amino acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Betaine, TL-Tryptophan)), brine shrimp embryos, spirulina, vitamins (ascorbic acid (vitamin C), biotin (vitamin H), cyanocobalamine (vitamin B12), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), panthotenic acid (vitamin B5), menadione (vitamin K3), folacin (vitamin B9), cholecalciferol (vitamin D3), retinol (vitamin A1), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), niacin (vitamin B3)), minerals (calcium carbonate, cobalt carbonate, copper sulphate, manganese sulphate, potassium iodide, sodium-selenite, zinc sulphate, magnesium sulphate) and preservatives (BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin).

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein (min) 52.5%
Fiber (max) 1.1%
Fat (min) 11.4%
Ash (max) 5.6%
Moisture (max) 8.1%

Carolina discus
11-10-2008, 12:00 PM
All,
I spotted these about a month ago on their website online when I was looking for bulk packaging ONF1 but haven't found the guys I order from carrying them yet...always interesting when ON introduces something new.....I have always likes their flakes...and so do the discus!!!!

Keep us posted if anyone see's it online....
Thanks
Eric

MSD
11-20-2008, 12:38 PM
I think they are one of the best making flake foods with superior ingredients. Fish sure like the stuff!

April
11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
doesnt the discus one only come in a small container? thats all the wholesaler has herer right now..im selling it. i havent tried the discus one on mine yet..as too small a container. but im selling it.

MSD
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Same here April, its in a display and only the small sized cans. Guess they have to ramp up production or they are test marketing it.

MSD
11-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Ironic but today the LFS has the large size can of the Discus flakes. It is selling for $5.99 at the store.

CraigG
11-21-2008, 10:31 PM
I haven't tried it but seems like it has better ingredients then the flakes i'm currently using.

O.S.I Discus Flakes

Ingredients:
Fish meal, wheat flour, brine shrimp, torula dried yeast, shrimp meal, algae meal, spirulina, fish protein concentrate, fish oil, carotene, natural and artificial colors, lecithin, vitamin A palmitate, DL-a-tocopherol acetate, D-activated animal sterol, thiamin mononitrate, choline chloride, L-ascorbyl 2-polyphosphate, inositol, niacinamide, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, ethoxyquin (as an antioxidant).

Crude Protein min. 45%
Vitamin A min. 8000 IU/lb
Crude Fat min. 5%
Vitamin D min. 800 IU/lb
Crude Fiber min. 4%
Vitamin E min. 100 IU/lb
Moisture max. 8%
Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C) min. 200 mg/lb
Choline min. 500 mg/lb
Inositol min. 100 mg/lb

While most of my Discus eat them I have 3 out of the 8 that don't really go for it.

A pellet I've found that all my Discus eat and all my Rams eat is. Spectrum Discus Pellets.

MAIN INGREDIENTS: Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin. GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein 34% Min., Fat 5% Min., Fiber 5% Max., Ash 9% Max., Moisture 10% Max.

gotfish?
11-22-2008, 07:04 AM
i too had problems feeding flakes, and when not eaten, water gets cloudy real easy. NLS is always a hit to all of my fish, but il give ON a shot:D

MSD
11-22-2008, 11:22 AM
For dry food I now feed ON Discus, Tetra pellets, (can't argue with its long history of success) and Tetra color crisps. Al's beefheart mix and Hikari FBW round out the meal plan. Out of those foods they eat a bit of everything and since they are growing and looking good with no sickness, I'll assume it working.

seanyuki
11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Hi Mark,

I have only seen the Ocean Nutrition Discus Flake 3.5 oz can but could not find the bigger size too.How many oz is the larger can?

Cheers
Francis

Ironic but today the LFS has the large size can of the Discus flakes. It is selling for $5.99 at the store.

MSD
11-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Francis, how goes it? The can is 70 grams or 2.5ozs. The flakes are the larger size ones like the other large ON flakes. I guess we should find a bulk seller as the volume is low at this weight, but then again you get fresher flakes if you buy once a month versus every 4 months.

seanyuki
11-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Mark,

I really like the Ocean Nutrition flakes and the discus consume one large can every two weeks even some of them have the nitrogen flushed foil inner pack for max freshness:D

Cheers

Hi Francis, how goes it? The can is 70 grams or 2.5ozs. The flakes are the larger size ones like the other large ON flakes. I guess we should find a bulk seller as the volume is low at this weight, but then again you get fresher flakes if you buy once a month versus every 4 months.

MSD
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Yup, mine love them too.

MSD
03-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Since this thread I was using so much of the flake I needed a bulk source. I found none for ON but tried Steve's flakes from Angels plus. A pound of the different varieties is only 8.50 or so. I like the Pro grow flakes, meat lovers, and the all in one and beefheat flakes. Or should I say my fish do, and I am saving money.

Eddie
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Since this thread I was using so much of the flake I needed a bulk source. I found none for ON but tried Steve's flakes from Angels plus. A pound of the different varieties is only 8.50 or so. I like the Pro groths flakes, meat lovers, and the all in one and beefheat flakes. Or should I say my fish do, and I am saving money.

Yeah Mark, the High Pro Growth is a good one. My fish take it well and for $8.50 a pound, you can't beat that with a stick!

Eddie

seanyuki
03-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi Mark,

Dan (Aquatic foods) also a sponsor has Ocean Nutrition Formula One bulk 1 lb box.......but no ON Prime Reef according to him.....perhaps more request to him maybe we could get the ON Prime Reef eventually:p

http://www.aquaticfoods.com/frozenfoods.html

Cheers
Francis.http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/th_5_2_107.gif (http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/aiseanyuki_2009/?action=view&current=5_2_107.gif)

QUOTE=MSD;515615]Since this thread I was using so much of the flake I needed a bulk source. I found none for ON but tried Steve's flakes from Angels plus. A pound of the different varieties is only 8.50 or so. I like the Pro groths flakes, meat lovers, and the all in one and beefheat flakes. Or should I say my fish do, and I am saving money.[/QUOTE]

Autumn Wind
03-23-2009, 03:09 PM
While touring the Seattle area unsuccessfully for the appearance of any nice wild discus and finding only maybe 40-50 blue and Heckels that were very average lfs fish and not spending a dime, I saw that one shop had Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes which I have seen advertised but never had seen them in a store.
Mat

Mat,
What Seattle area store did you find this at? Would love to fetch this locally.
Thanks!
Vanessa

MSD
03-23-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Francis, how've you been? I'm stuck on Angels plus flakes for now, high protein and the fish eat it well. Save money too!

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 03:27 PM
I do not think many LFS are selling ON discus flakes..... even online...here a link for them.....I just feed them ON prime reef.

http://store.seacorals.net/flakefoods.html

Cheers

Mat,
What Seattle area store did you find this at? Would love to fetch this locally.
Thanks!
Vanessa

seanyuki
03-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi Mark,

I was told there a flake food that is 86% protein....need to get some of it.

Cheers

Hi Francis, how've you been? I'm stuck on Angels plus flakes for now, high protein and the fish eat it well. Save money too!

ShinShin
03-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Vanessa,

I got the ON Discus Flakes at Midway Tropical Fish and Pets on Rt. 99

Mat

Autumn Wind
03-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Vanessa,

I got the ON Discus Flakes at Midway Tropical Fish and Pets on Rt. 99

Mat

Thats the closest LFS to me (not counting Petsmart and Petco)
Yea! Thanks Mat :)

sp33dy25
04-01-2009, 07:56 PM
i have a big plastic jar of ON community flakes..
not one of my fish will touch it.

anyone else?

Eddie
04-01-2009, 09:18 PM
i have a big plastic jar of ON community flakes..
not one of my fish will touch it.

anyone else?

Gotta use ON Prime Reef or discus flake. :D

Eddie

April
04-01-2009, 10:46 PM
i sell it. : )
but yes..i need bulk for my group .

Justice
05-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes

Ingredients:
Euphasia pacifica Plankton, Salmon Fillets, Squid, Wheat, Euphasia superba Plankton, Kelp, Mussels, Tuna Eggs, Adult Brine Shrimp, Soya-Lecithin, Garlic MPAX™ (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: Fish Meals, Select Amino Acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Betaine, TL-Tryptophan)), Brine Shrimp Embryos, Spirulina, Vitamins (Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Biotin (Vitamin H), Cyanocobalamine (Vitamin B12), Riboflavin ( Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Tocopherol Acetate (Vitamin E), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Menadione (Vitamin K3), Folacin (Vitamin B9), Cholercalciferol (Vitamin D3), Retinol (Vitamin A1), Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6), Niacin (Vitamin B3)), Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Cobalt Carbonate, Copper Sulphate, Manganese Sulphate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite, Zinc Sulphate, Magnesium Sulphate), and Preservatives (BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin).

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein (min) 52.5%
Fat (min) 11.4%
Moisture (max) 8.1%
Fiber (max) 1.1%
Ash (max) 5.6%

PER: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+20445&pcatid=20445

Eddie
05-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Did somebody need the ingredients/analysis??? :confused:

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-10-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't want to sound dumb here but... what on earth is the ash for?

Eddie
05-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I don't want to sound dumb here but... what on earth is the ash for?

http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31&st=0&p=89&

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-11-2009, 12:01 AM
http://www.newlife.ipbhost.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31&st=0&p=89&

Eddie

Aha!

Thanks Eddie,

I thought they were referring to wood ash lol!

in2cichilds
05-11-2009, 10:46 PM
That is the only flake mine will eat! They really eat those flakes right up!

alpine
05-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I saw it at the ACA last year but not anywhere since then.

Roberto.

Justice
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I saw it at the ACA last year but not anywhere since then.

Roberto.Dr's Foster and Smith carry them, my Discus love them!

Tito
05-15-2009, 10:35 PM
The question is ..can you grow Discus to 6" on Prime Reef? I don't think mine are going to get there..I feed Prime reef as a main staple.

Eddie
05-15-2009, 11:33 PM
The question is ..can you grow Discus to 6" on Prime Reef? I don't think mine are going to get there..I feed Prime reef as a main staple.

I think that you can Tito but it will take alot of feedings. Something bulky or meaty like a mix will push them out to 6 IMO.

Eddie

discusluvr818
05-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I use ON Discus Flakes and Spirulina Flakes. My fish love them. Great stuff in my opinion, probably paid too much though. 6 dollars and the can is kinda small. I feed 4 tiems daily, 1) Discus Flakes, 2) Tertra Color, 3) Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp 4) Hikari bio-pure FBW.

My juvies also get an extra couple feedings of Frozen beef heart for growth :D

jmlazgar
06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I can only get ON Cichlid flakes locally, but my discus loves them. Won't even touch frozen bloodworms, but will take ON Cichlid.
Jay

terps
10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
It's a good product.

Blackwater Aquaria
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
While touring the Seattle area unsuccessfully for the appearance of any nice wild discus and finding only maybe 40-50 blue and Heckels that were very average lfs fish and not spending a dime, I saw that one shop had Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes which I have seen advertised but never had seen them in a store. I've spent a ton of cash over the years on pellets and flakes that my discus would just spit out if they even decided to give them a taste at all. Since I did have success with ON's Formula One flakes, I decided to give them a try.

First of all, they are ocean plankton and salmon based food with other seafood and ingredients added. I like that these are the main two ingredients (ocean plankton and salmon). I have promoted wild salmon mix for years now. 52.5% protein for muscle mass and 11.4% fat for energy and reproductive developement.

When I fed a tank of 10 late stage juveniles, they immediately went for the food, taking it right off the top which they seldom do. All 10 ate it, not one spit the food out testing it. I fed it 3 times to them during the course of the early evening and night.

This success on a first attempt feeding and its ingredients makes me give this food a high recommendation. Give it a try if you haven't.

Anyone use or try this flake?

Mat You would want to check out the Omega One flakes. They are also sea food based product, my discus go crazy on all of selection, the first bite
is real good try it your fish will love it. Good luck Mike Deegan
BLACKWATER AQUARIA:bandana:

dpt8
10-20-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree with Mike. I use Omega One Marine Flakes with garlic... It has herring, salmon, halibut , black cod as its first ingredients..