PDA

View Full Version : FILTRATION ??? NO SPACE???

prashi110
11-13-2008, 05:05 AM
Hey,
I have a 30 gallon discus BB tank.
The problem is that I do not have space behind it or on the sides for a filter to come in. Earlier I had an arowana which did fine with an internal power filter. But due to the flow it creates in the water I believe it is not safe for my baby discus who are just about 1 inch now. So any solutions. The sponge filter is already fit and I believe it does not work upto the mark in keeping the tank clean. Please suggest a solution but not an expensive one.

Thanks

Peachtree Discus
11-13-2008, 12:43 PM
is this a show/display tank? if not, you could hang the filter on the front (HOTF :p). my growouts are in the basement and i don't care about the ugly filter box showing. whether it fits will depend on what type of top is on the tank. with a glass top i put the plastic spacer on the front.

with 1" fry you should be changing lots of water daily so it may not be so much of an issue for now. you could add another sponge filter/air supply. i have never used internal filters so not sure about the flow, but if the internal is too strong for the fry then HOTB/canister/wet-dry may be too strong as well.

kenhappen2u
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
i also have 3 tanks with filters that hang on the front as well as on the back, like discus maker said who cares how it looks as long as its doing its job . you could also run a canister filter that has hoses so you can put the filter on the floor and run the hoses up to your tank ....the hoses are usually only 3/4 to 1 inch thick so it does not take/need a lot of room behind the tank .

Ken

prashi110
11-13-2008, 01:54 PM
The issue is that it is in the living room. I would not mind the filter in the front but my family members sure would mind. So that is a total no. Any recommended canister filters. For now I am doing daily water changes so got no issues as they are yet small. Once they come up to be around 2-2.5 inches I shall introduce gravel back in and also rocks and driftwood and artificial plants and decorations. As I said budget is limited so any idea howmuch would the canister filter cost?

kenhappen2u
11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
there are a lot of options as far as canister filters go .... but seeing as you are on a budget i would recomend a magnum350 or the magnum350 pro with bio wheel . as the magnum350 can be found new for 89.00 and some change . you may pay a few bucks more for the pro version ...ive seen them used on ebay, craigslist and other related site's for half price . there are also brands like ehiem, fluval, and a couple other that i cant think of right now . but they tend to be a little more priceier than the magnum and the magnum does a fine job .
hopefully some one else will chime in with some other options.
or you could try this for less than $40.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkT9EiY9v60&feature=related

ken

kenhappen2u
11-13-2008, 03:20 PM
you can also try this ..... part 1 & 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=464ef2exYDI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXknmDuVQM&feature=related

DiscusDreamer
11-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I think the best option for you is a couple more sponge filters plus huge daily water changes. They should grow huge with this combo

prashi110
11-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks alot guys for ur recommendations. Mostly Planning to decrease length of tank to fit it a power filter at the side and increase height also. Mostly upgrading to around 40 gallons now. Any suggestions for a power filter which wont even disturb the water much and would also be good for a heighted tank.

doc3toes
11-13-2008, 10:43 PM
i have a couple IN TANK power filters that work pretty good. Fluval3 plus. silent. work pretty good.

prashi110
11-14-2008, 08:03 AM
So according to you if I use an internal filter it would not disturb the water and would not increase current keeping in mind that I have neon tetras and discus which are the lightest of this fishes in my tank. I have never seen a tank with an internal filter and discus both together. Could you please post a video of it on youtube or something when the filter is on so that I can check it out. I am actually from India and here you dont get good filters. Mostly my sister will get me one from chicago this december so need to decide which one.

doc3toes
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
i have one in a community tank with black neons right now. they have variable (adjustable) flow rate. similiar amount of water movement as a HOB design. also comes with a tube to suck air in so you dont need to use an air stone (althought using the air tube makes it louder).

http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=15510317&EID=NX15510317&SID=NXTG

prashi110
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the response. One last question. Do you have anything covering the filter or in front of it. Is it a barebottom tank or a planted or decorated one. Because for now mine is a bare bottom. I guess if you can use the internal power filter for tetras with discus then I could also use it but dont want anything to go wrong so taking precaution !

doc3toes
11-17-2008, 12:14 AM
the tank i have it in now is a BB, but i have used in gravel tanks as well. right now it is lying on the bottom, have used them standing as well.

prashi110
11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks alot for the advice. I would like to use the filter standing in the corner as usual but as you say it wont stress the discus then I shall have a go at it !

doc3toes
11-17-2008, 11:34 PM
worst case scenario would be to point the nozzle into the corner and deflect it off the glass. as i said they are adjustable. i don't see a problem for your application. also ...i love that they are silent.

prashi110
11-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks alot .... I shall try it out !