PDA

View Full Version : (DIY) do it yourself wet dry filter under $40.00

kenhappen2u
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
i found this video clip and thought i would share it ...infact i am in the process of building/putting together this one myself ....one of the things i am going to change is useing a store bought skimmer box and overflow insted of the milk carton .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkT9EiY9v60&feature=related

For a more professional look try this one ...

part 1,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=464ef2exYDI&feature=related

part 2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avXknmDuVQM&feature=related

wow_it_esploded
12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Cichlids4ever and dubbs reef, some of the good DIY fish projects channels on youtube. Thanks for the links!

Graemevw
12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I may be being dum, but does the water just syphon out of the main tank, into the sump, and then is pumped back into the main tank?

Never looked into sumps before.

Whats the overflow, milk carton thing doing?

tcyiu
12-29-2008, 06:59 PM
... does the water just syphon out of the main tank, into the sump, and then is pumped back into the main tank?

Quick answer is no. In this design, water is siphoned from the milk carton thingy.

If you look again, there are "slits" cut out of the top of the sides. Looks like a castle. When the water level rises above the bottom of the slits, water overflows into the carton. The slits generally prevent fish from going into the overflow. Since it appears the guy keeps oscars, the slits are rather large.

As long as there is water is in the carton, the siphon can draw it out. By design if power fails, the siphon will break once the water level in the tank drops below the slits. This prevents flooding.

Now this is where I have an issue with his design. I think the chap will find that his siphon will break vacuum quite a bit.

In a properly self priming design, there is a second box OUTSIDE of the aquarium in which there is an overflow tube. A siphon tube connects the inside box (which is the milk carton) with the outside one. This tube is a short siphon tube that keeps the water level of the outside box at the same level as inside the aquarium. When the water level rises above the overflow tube, water cascades down into the filter.

If power goes out, the pump is not returning any more water to the tank, so the overall water level will stabilize at the height of the overflow tube. As soon as power comes back, the pump turns on, the water rises, and water will cascade down the tube again. At no point is the siphon vacuum broken.

The bottom line is that I would add approx $3 of additional cost to his design to make it work better. The costs would primarily be in PVC elbows to make the short siphon and right angle for the overflow tube (plus of course an additional milk carton).

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well. But if you draw pictures and following the flow of water, it might make more sense.

Tim

Graemevw
01-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I think i get what you mean.

Thats why i asked, i thought it wasnt a particularly reliable set up. Unless the pump ans syphon are matched exactly for flow then its going to stop eventually.

Ibanez540r
01-23-2009, 04:35 AM
I may be being dum, but does the water just syphon out of the main tank, into the sump, and then is pumped back into the main tank?

Never looked into sumps before.

I just thought it was funny while stating "I may be being dum.." he spelled dumb wrong. :D

Graham
01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Tim you're correct, this guy is relying on a siphon and everytime the power goes out the overflow and the return will siphon back into the sump till they run out of water...that may oveflow the sump.

Then each time he's going to have to re-start the siphon.....pita

G