PDA

View Full Version : An Australian Discus Show?

Roxanne
11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Hey DL's

Just wondering how much support there would be for an Aussie Discus Convention/Show???

My background is in Marketing, Promotion & Event Production, so I would be willing to offer my time-freely, for the cause..;)

Yeah? No? :confused:

Roxanne

TankWatcher
11-20-2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Roxanne, interesting thought. What a trooper you are. I don't have fish that are show quality :( but if a discus show was close by to me, I'd certainly go & check out everyone else's beautiful discus:)

Roxanne
11-20-2008, 10:28 PM
I was thinking we could all just sit around in a circle and admire Rod's fish. There might be about 4 of us if two utes comes as well....:D:D:D:D (Joking;))

Ding Dang, who's got show quality fish in Australia besides Rod? (Not joking:confused:) I think this would fizzle pretty quick unless our US and other country counterparts lug their fish down under......and who really wants to lug their fish around the world? Hm, I think maybe WE have to go THERE! OK lets organise an Aussie Posse to Invade America at THEIR next convention???.....

:D:D:D

TankWatcher
11-20-2008, 11:55 PM
Ding Dang, who's got show quality fish in Australia besides Rod? (Not joking) Probably no-one. What I hear round the Aussie discus forums & LFS, is that A Grade imported discus don't even make it into Oz.
I think this would fizzle pretty quick :( think you're right. The NSW Discus Association folded recently, due to lack of interested members :(

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Well, this just won't do! We must go forth and spread the word of discus to our nation! :p:p:D

Darren's Discus
11-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Roxanne,
their have been several discus shows already around the country over the years.It's just very time consuming to organise and for people to come from all over the country with their fish is a big ask,I certainly know i would not want to pack my best fish and fly them some where at the chance of losing them.Great idea,sometime i just feel that i live in the wrong part of the world !:(

cheers

TankWatcher
11-21-2008, 02:51 AM
Well, this just won't do! We must go forth and spread the word of discus to our nation! I think we do spread the word, but we Aussies seem to prefer to do it via forums - rather than attending meetings or shows.
Great idea,sometime i just feel that i live in the wrong part of the world I think this is right. I'd like to be able to go to one of the big European Discus shows one day, but only as a looker, not as owner of an entrant.

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 03:20 AM
Boo Hoo(where's the crying emoticon?)

OK, it's not exactly like a car show is it?:( Well, why don't we just go back to the idea of the 4-6 of us sitting in a circle and admiring Rod or Darren's fish?:D:D Don't look so worried guys, I'm only joking....

I guess we could downsize the idea & share photos...

:balloon:
:)

Eddie
11-21-2008, 07:15 AM
Tell you what, I agree with Roxanne, we could meet at Rods and Darren could bring fish over and we could all sit and admire the beautiful fish! Lets do it! I'm down!

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Onya bassy baby....Now we just have to convince Rod & Darren.....:p;)

Eddie
11-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Come on Rod...Come on Darren.....PLEASE ;)

Rod
11-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Tell you what, I agree with Roxanne, we could meet at Rods and Darren could bring fish over and we could all sit and admire the beautiful fish! Lets do it! I'm down!
Sitting is not allowed at my house, no use for chairs so we got rid of em......but what we do have is sponges, syphons and buckets. All welcome!!

Rod:)

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 05:43 PM
...what we do have is sponges, syphons and buckets. All welcome!!

Rod:)

Dude, I think that means he wants us to do his tank maintenance for him......

He did say ALL WELCOME - Lets go!!!!

:D

Darren's Discus
11-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Count me in for any meeting,It's always great spending time at Rods and having a chat !

cheers

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Rod? Do you feel like you are being ambushed???

all in good fun...:balloon:

Eddie
11-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey, I don'd mind cleaning Rod's fish tanks, as long as I get to sit and stare at the Discus!

Roxanne
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
You don't mind cleaning probably x many hundred tanks huh?...ok cool.YOU clean the tanks and WE'LL sit around drinking a brewmaster import and look at the fish..we don't need seats, we can just pow wow on the floor..:p:D:D:balloon::D

April
11-21-2008, 10:30 PM
he has snakes...that come up from behind his house to eat you if you sit on the grass. : 0
and if you sit on his bricks..then they are filled with ant eggs for his beefheart mix. lol.
he could make you help him expand his fishroom to fill in whats left of his back yard..bring nails, hammer, drill, saw, level, hard hat..
there has been some good discus shows in oz. i saw the pics.
can i come for your discus club meeting? lol. oops..forgot no passport yet. but..im doing it..very soon..cause i have full intentions of going ot singapore.

sbowler
11-21-2008, 11:24 PM
there is still some shows here in oz , i know that the brisbane show has a fish comp with discus , and there is a guy that lives in brissy that has some awesome fish and shows them there every year , i have sen some of his other fish too and they look good to me ,

Rod
11-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Count me in for any meeting,It's always great spending time at Rods and having a chat !

cheers

Always a pleasure having you over mate. I'll get up to Townsville in the not too distant future and come and visit if i can, it has been a long time since i was there but i have fond memories of the place.

Dude, I think that means he wants us to do his tank maintenance for him......

He did say ALL WELCOME - Lets go!!!!

yep, glad we got that straight. But good workers get free discus to take home....

Rod? Do you feel like you are being ambushed???

all in good fun...:balloon:

Hey, I don'd mind cleaning Rod's fish tanks, as long as I get to sit and stare at the Discus!

Eddie, i like your attitude my friend. Your in. :D

You don't mind cleaning probably x many hundred tanks huh?...ok cool.YOU clean the tanks and WE'LL sit around drinking a brewmaster import and look at the fish..we don't need seats, we can just pow wow on the floor..:p:D:D:balloon::D

only 180 tanks. Yikes!! Seems so many when i say it like that. But it keeps me busy and i love my fish.

If your gunna sit on the floor i might suggest a swim suit, the floor often resembles a tributary of the amazon. Otherwise i have milk crates and step ladders :D

he has snakes...that come up from behind his house to eat you if you sit on the grass. : 0
and if you sit on his bricks..then they are filled with ant eggs for his beefheart mix. lol.
he could make you help him expand his fishroom to fill in whats left of his back yard..bring nails, hammer, drill, saw, level, hard hat..
there has been some good discus shows in oz. i saw the pics.
can i come for your discus club meeting? lol. oops..forgot no passport yet. but..im doing it..very soon..cause i have full intentions of going ot singapore.

Well i've told Sue you are coming to Singapore, i'm trying to get her to go but she doesn't like to travel o/s. Maybe! But i'm going.

It's a pity the oz show and the ADA folded, not that i was a member of the ADA or anything, but i went to a couple of the shows and i thought they were well presented with some excellent discus on display. I'd go to another show for sure if there is ever one.

there is still some shows here in oz , i know that the brisbane show has a fish comp with discus , and there is a guy that lives in brissy that has some awesome fish and shows them there every year , i have sen some of his other fish too and they look good to me ,

That would be Allan Clarke from A&K Tropical you are referring too Scott, yes he gets some nice discus in from Malaysia and displays them each year at the rna show. It's great to see the discus represented.

I normally see him around the traps every now and then, and have a chat with him, but he has been very quiet lately. Someone told me he is not really doing much with discus these days!

Roxanne
11-22-2008, 02:36 AM
...only 180 tanks. ....

didja get that Eddie? 180...one hundred AND eighty..:p:D

Eddie
11-22-2008, 02:40 AM
Hey...180, that just means more Discus to see! And did you hear, free discus! I'm not sure how customs would feel about it if I go commercial.

I once lugged 4 real nice Wadimi Discus from Baltimore to Portugal in my carry-on. Nobody ever figured it out and that 2005, I couldn't imagine getting away with that one nowadays! :o

TankWatcher
11-22-2008, 08:32 AM
well, sounds like it's all happening :) if only Rod lived in in NSW :(

It was a real shame ADA folded, I went to their last meeting, looking to join up. Just after that, they had their AGM & decided to fold

hope it wasn't me :confused:

Roxanne
11-22-2008, 02:50 PM
.......Nobody ever figured it out and that 2005, I couldn't imagine getting away with that one nowadays! :o

With all the things you could get caught with, I'm sure if customs told you to freeze, drop the bag, back away, then they look inside and see, you got pretty round FISH!!!:p:p I hear howls of laughter.."Houston, we have a problem...we can't stop laughing"...."we need to confiscate these fish, as they constitute a threat to our National Security, :mad:the fish COULD be a weapon of mass destruction...wait just let me confirm that, yes, the pretty round fish ARE a weapon of mass destruction. Sir Bas, you are in a LOT of trouble. Would you like to call your LFS?"....or the person who just gave you these 500 fish after you spent ooo I don't know, 180 tanks x at least about 8 minutes wiping down(inside AND out!), cleaning detrius, water changes on some if not all..add ten...multiply by 180...I guess you'll be about 64 by the time you finish....and your 40 year old "FREE" fish won't be a threat to National Security anymore...:balloon:

Hey Robyn:):)

Were there many members?...cos, we got 4 or 5 now (in how many square feet of Australia? That IS sad..) We could web cam the meetings:balloon: and hold the AGM OFFICIALLY at say, I don't know, Ningaloo Reef, Great Keppel Island,the Amazon... (watch the membership soar to 6 now..);)
If you say the keywords "REEF" or "ISLAND", it get's their attention...see mate, it's all about the MARKETING.....:D

two utes
11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Hehehehehe....You're funny Roxanne.:D:D:D

The Great Barrier Reef would be good!!!! Count me in!!!!!

Just found this thread, and had a good laugh this morning....thanks.

I would fly to Sydney from Melbourne and meet fellow discus keepers no worries........maybe l could also fit in a small marlin fishing trip as well.....what do you say Darren?

TankWatcher
11-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Hehehehehe....You're funny Roxanne :D:D:Dshe sure is.

I'd love to be able to say "I could fly here" or "I could fly there" for a discus meeting or show - but it's just outside my budget to do it :( :mad:

Any spare cash I can find, I'm putting aside to buy wild discus (if I can find some more) so, I have none left for trips.

Sounds great though .... if in Sydney, of course, that changes things ;)

Roxanne
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Hehehehehe....Count me in!!!!!

oo, I knew 2 utes would be down with the idea...what's that now, 7?;)

Hey Robin, We could offer 'em Cockatoo Island...

two utes
11-23-2008, 11:11 PM
This time last year l flew up to Townsville, and while l was there l was lucky enough to catch up with Darren from A1 Aquarium World and saw all his beautiful discus. It was this time last year that the First Discus challenge started.
Would not hesitate to catch up for a discus exhibition.:D

Roxanne
11-23-2008, 11:29 PM
she sure is.

I'd love to be able to say "I could fly here" or "I could fly there" for a discus meeting or show - but it's just outside my budget to do it ...;

yeah, me too, I was just going to sell my youngest children....that's why I suggested Cockatoo Island..:D:D..

but flights to BRISBANE or TOWNSVILLE are pretty cheap nowadays....

;)

fredg18
11-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey Darren,
Have you ever shown any of your fish at any of the shows or been involved with the shows at all

two utes
11-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Hey Robin, We could offer 'em Cockatoo Island...

What's the Sports fishing like over there?

TankWatcher
11-24-2008, 03:42 AM
What's the Sports fishing like over there?

the only fish I catch are in my net, in my tanks LOL

TankWatcher
11-24-2008, 03:53 AM
Hey Robin, We could offer 'em Cockatoo Island...http://www.cockatooisland.gov.au/about/index.html

but flights to BRISBANE or TOWNSVILLE are pretty cheap nowadays....;) yeah, but it's not just the flights. Airport transfers, accommodation, meals.

It would be a great weekend & I'd love to see Rod's 180 tanks, but I could buy 1, maybe 2 wild discus with the cash (gotta find em first, I know, I know). It might be for work I have to pass through Townsville - if Rod's open for visits from the public - I'd love to check it out then.

I already have enough trouble justifying the cost of running my tanks to the other half now. Roxy, you'll have to set up the web cam for me - unless you can sell the cockatoo island thing

Darren's Discus
11-24-2008, 07:03 PM
Hey Darren,
Have you ever shown any of your fish at any of the shows or been involved with the shows at all

Hi,
No i have never shown any of my fish or been involved with the shows,They are for my pleasure some of my favourite fish are far from perfect but i like them,I'm not into the hobby to win trophys or be reconized i just really enjoy them and still get a kick out of every batch of fry.I hope one day to make it to some of the really big discus shows overseas and meet some of the fantastic people involved in this great hobby.

cheers

Roxanne
11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
[url] Roxy, you'll have to set up the web cam for me - unless you can sell the cockatoo island thing

Hi Robyn, how ya goin?:)

No problem with the first part. But, I think since you put that link to Cockatoo Island ..our membership just bottomed out:p......when they see it's Sydney Harbour's version of Alcatraz, a penal colony for convicts, probably where they were deloused......you know I could have just photoshopped a bunch of Great Keppel Island shots onto Sydney Harbour for the promotional material....ding dang...:bandana:

2 utes...Game fishing in Sydney Harbour??,...if you're game;)!!! But, I'd turn the lights of before I ate the catch if I was you in case it glows in the dark....;);):alien::D

We need a new plan......

two utes
11-24-2008, 09:03 PM
A bit of sports fishing happening in the harbor.......the big game fishing is a little further out in the cobalt blue water....not that green stuff.

Thanks for the invite but l think l will give Cockatoo Island a miss.:D

TankWatcher
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
It was this time last year that the First Discus challenge started.do you know when the results are out. I keep clicking into the link, but can't find results.

:( Cockatoo Island :( :p sorry Roxanne

two utes
11-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Robyn.....I keep checking it as well. I think all the photos have been submitted, and all the fish judged. Just waiting for the announcement now.
I can't wait to see everyone's final pictures.

Have you had a chance to check out some of the challenge posts and pictures?

....What about Fraser Island?

Roxanne
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
oo....Fraser...:):):balloon::):):balloon:

There's a deep sea charter boat (probably lots) you can go out for the day, it goes quite a way offshore.....my husbands been on it, I'd go if the sea wasn't so deep...Take a UV light with u.....:p:D

Don't feel bad Robyn, it was only a matter of time before they busted me out....promoting Cockatoo as 'an island getaway' was never really going to fly...

I'm still thinking.......;)

TankWatcher
11-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Have you had a chance to check out some of the challenge posts and pictures? I found some, but know I couldn't find the final pictures of all. I saw someone's wrapping up report, an Aussie's, but don't think it was yours. I would love to see the pictures. Do you have a link to the thread that have your's?

two utes
11-26-2008, 12:30 AM
This is the link to my whole thread....because its been running for nearly a year there is lots of reports that l have submitted. 'The Wrapping up report' is one of mine.
Some of my reports also have video clips, so l think you will fully see how the fish have progressed.
'All good things come to an end' and 'Looking from the inside out' both have a video clip in them....go have a look see.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140.

Also Robyn, the final pictures have not been made public yet... we were told to wait till after the judging.
By the looks of things we may have a result tomorrow

Roxanne....What difference does it make how deep the water is?? LOLOLOL

Roxanne
11-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Roxanne....What difference does it make how deep the water is?? LOLOLOL

Love fishin', but deep is too scary, can't see land from there.... I prefer shallower water, soft, 86 degrees, PH 7-7.5, nitrates 20, nitrites 0, toxic waste 0, BB:p...........:D

Will check out your links;)

Still thinkin.....:confused::)
Rox

two utes
11-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Love fishin', but deep is too scary, can't see land from there.... I prefer shallower water, soft, 86 degrees, PH 7-7.5, nitrates 20, nitrites 0, toxic waste 0, BB:p...........:D

:D:D:D:D

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=61627&page=5

If you have time check this out..We were about 120 miles out of Cairns in 2000 meters of cobalt blue water....Magnificent!!!

Like l said before if you want to organize this Discus exhibition in Cairns...count me in!

Roxanne
11-26-2008, 02:28 PM
:D:balloon::DHey 2utes (is that cos ya own a couple utes?, or is it like the two dogs thing:D)??:D??....Awwsuuum pics! 2000 metres. Mate, that's 2 km.....even if I say it really slow it's still hard to get the head around. Question: how do you land a marlon without gauging a coupla eyes out or stabbing yourself?? ...I have a weird word association thing between Marlon the fish & Marlon Brando....they could have called the fish something else, like I dunno, stabba fish, or eye gauger, lung piercer, kidney dagger, these might sound better in Latin? I bet the fish that deep all have compressed heads like a discus.

Have you tried the Game Fishing in WA? As long as a Giant Manta Ray (Onetonnamanta as I call 'em) doesn't breach the water and land in your boat, and the marlon don't gouge a kidney, it's a good day!

Cairns huh.....hmm..sounds good. I wonder who has discus in the Cairns area?....hmmm...:D;) Robyn , can you think of anyone???

And April is in too, so that's 5 yeah?

two utes
11-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi Roxanne.:D
Two Utes is actually the name of one of my two boats. I restored and sold two HQ Holden Utes, and purchased a boat with the funds.

In Cairns we use the heaviest possible tackle with 130lb fishing line to have a chance at catching 1000lb plus marlin, even though most of them average around the 500lb mark. Some people have been hurt while marlin fishing, impaled or even pulled overboard, one lady had a breast impaled by a marlin. Do a search on Utube, and you will see it.

It is exciting watching a large marlin jumping around at the back of the boat. Since we tag and release 99% of the marlin we catch, we do not actually make contact with them. I love nothing better than releasing a marlin in good condition.

I hope to do some Game Fishing in Western Australia, around Exmouth....One day.
I'm actually off again next week to Rockhamton in QLD, but this time to catch some big Barumandi.

I'm sure there is some one in Cairns with Discus....Darren may even know them, but then again we may as well meet in Townsville and check out Darren's collection.

TankWatcher
11-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Also Robyn, the final pictures have not been made public yet... we were told to wait till after the judging.
By the looks of things we may have a result tomorrow Congratulations on the win two utes :)

Roxanne
11-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Hi Roxanne.:D
Two Utes is actually the name of one of my two boats. I restored and sold two HQ Holden Utes, and purchased a boat with the funds.

.. one lady had a breast impaled by a marlin. Do a search on Utube, and you will see it.

It is exciting watching a large marlin jumping around at the back of the boat.

I hope to do some Game Fishing in Western Australia, around Exmouth....One day.

I'm sure there is some one in Cairns with Discus....Darren may even know them, but then again we may as well meet in Townsville and check out Darren's collection.

Right o. Hope your other boat isn't named "first born child"...:D

...I got a real weak stomach dude. I nearly passed out when I saw the pix of Robyn's fish standing on their heads....

...maybe if you're wearing chainlink...

...you MUST!!

Bet Darren is feeling the ambush thing too now!

:balloon::D

TankWatcher
11-28-2008, 09:16 PM
...I got a real weak stomach dude. I nearly passed out when I saw the pix of Robyn's fish standing on their heads....How do you think I felt - every fish in the 7ft tank was down. I was practically crying when I took the pics - lucky all turned out well :)

two utes
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
...maybe if you're wearing chainlink...

...you MUST!!

:balloon::D

:confused::confused::confused::confused:...please explain.

Thanks for the heads up Robyn

Roxanne
11-29-2008, 05:55 PM
:confused::confused::confused::confused:...please explain.

Thanks for the heads up Robyn

Sorry, didn't edit that right.:p

You said "exciting watching a marlin thrashing around the back of the boat", I'd want to wear that chainlink stuff, you know like the knights used to wear, so you don't get stabbed....ok not funny...closest I ever came was the little gar fish we used to catch at Moore River, WA over the side of the tinny. No fear about being pulled in by a gar fish...

"you must" means you must do some DSF'n in Exmouth..

What win? Did you win something?

Hi Robyn, I have recurring nightmares about those pictures!!:DThese ding dang fish are worse than kids aren't they!!!

:D Still thinkin....

two utes
11-29-2008, 08:59 PM
:) Thanks for clearing that up for me Roxanne.:)

I was part off the Discus Challenge they had running here over the last 12 months.

:D:D:D

Roxanne
11-30-2008, 08:23 AM
I just found it...Congratulations Dude...;)