View Full Version : could i or could i not use uv sterilizerin my discus tank

tonythediscus
11-24-2008, 02:35 PM
sorry typo error
sterilizerin my discus tank
sterilizer in my discus tank

cyang
11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
how big is the tank? what are the parameters? a UV isnt going to magically make all of your problems go away. you will still need proper cleaning and maintenance. a uv sterilizer will only be an aid. it will also depend on your flow rate through the UV systems and the wattage. More watts + low flow rate = better sterilization. if you want to add a sterilizer get the highest wattage you can afford.

wow_it_esploded
12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
The only thing that a UV sterilizer will do is kill any free floating parasite (which is normally not the case as they are normally attached to the fish/plants), bacterium, or plant that can freely be pumped through it. (duckweed comes to mind).

Use it if you want to, as it makes it easy to treat for ich as all you have to do is raise the temperature to 87-88 to accellerate the live cycle of the parasites then, when they reach the free floating stage they will be killed. Raising temps and vigourous gravel vaccumming will rid your tank of ich very quickly, though the only difference is, without a uv you have to add salt (and keep up with it during water changes).

Getting a little off topic, but it is your choice either way. Neither way will harm the discus.

Oh, and, it can be useful if a fish gets fish TB because it is transferred to humans also.