PDA

View Full Version : Discus and Iron

msn
11-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a planted tank full of anubias nana and 5 turquoise discus. Recently some of the nana leaves turned yellow and was found that it was due to lack of iron nutrition.

Can someone please help to clarify whether is addition of iron to my tank harmful to my Discus?

Thanks

CraigG
11-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I use the Seachem Iron supplement and it hasn't affected my Discus. Just follow the proper dosing and test your water to make sure you don't over dose it.

Wahter
11-30-2008, 12:38 PM
Most of the liquid aquarium plant fertilizers will have some iron in them and when used correctly, they won't harm your fish. Make sure you use aquarium plant fertilizer though - the iron is bound up by chelators for the plants. Some people think sticking in a rusty nail into their aquarium will solve their iron problems and that just won't work.

I believe iron deficiency will show up in new growth, so if the yellowing is showing up in the new leaves, it might be iron. If it's the older leaves turning yellow, it could be something else.

HTH,

Walter

msn
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lots. I ve just did a water cycle and added liquid fertilizer.

Another question, can you suggest to me 3 to 4 hardy plants that do not require much lighting and care like nana for example.

Thanks

Apistomaster
12-01-2008, 10:32 AM
The larger varieties of Anubia barteri are about as undemanding a plant as one can ever hope to find. Anubias do require paticence since they are such slow growing plants. That is why I like them. Java Ferns are good but I have never had much luck with any of the varieties I've kept.
I am partial to Echinodorus spp but they grow too large and/or too fast in my Discus tanks. I don't like to have to fuss with the plants I keep in discus tanks much. I keep a lot of the Echinodorus hybrid var. "Kleiner Bar" in my grow out tanks. I grow all my Echinordorus in pots since I only use enough sand to barely conceal the bare bottoms. I have given away dozens of Kleiner Bars plus keeping many more in many of my tanks, all from just one original specimen.

msn
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
What about moss? Are there any of their variety that only need minimal care?

Apistomaster
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I like the Mosses when they are grown attached to wood.
Mosses are sometimes difficult to keep very clean because they attract dirt.
If you have a good flow of water and excellent filtration, then this is usually easy to overcome.
If you try keeping Mosses in a tank of fish receiving a lot of beef heart blend they tend to collect crud.
I use a lot of live black worms and frozen blood worms in my 2 wild Discus display tanks and that is where I grow most of my Moss.
I have one other tank planted only with Moss growing on wood; my Peckoltia L134 Leopard Frog pleco breeding tank. I feed them lots of live black worms, frozen blood worms and earth worm sticks. There must be 500 Cherry shrimp in this tank. Between the Cherry shrimp and occasional brood of baby plecos, the Moss has stayed clean and grown luxuriant.
This tank has a great deal of power filtration and a roiling air stone so not much debris accumulates..
Edit:
My 125 gal tank has a very large Wet/Dry filter, an Eheim 2217 Classic and a sponge filter run by a 160 gph power head. The total filter flow in this tank is about 1200 gph. More than most Discus keepers would use.

msn
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Usually I only on my 20W light 5 hrs/day and without CO2.

My nana thrives well but can java moss grow in my tank?