PDA

View Full Version : Surface Skimmer

msn
11-30-2008, 11:28 AM
What do you guys think of connecting my canister filter inlet to a SURFACE SKIMMER? Will this be dangerous to my dicus fish?

Thanks

Sir Knight
11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
A surface skimmer is used to take the scum off of the water surface, it has been used for years both on reef ready tanks and also on tanks the are retro fitted. There are three issues that I can think of when using them.

1) you will need one that can handle the water volume of your filter.

2) the water level must be maintained or you will burn out your filter (if the skimmer box does not have water flowing into it).

3) If you have small fish that can fit through the groves you will need to add some kind of screening

Other then the above there is no reason not to retro your tank with it as it will keep the surface clean.

Joe W.

Patr1ck
12-01-2008, 03:54 AM
Are you thinking about one like the fluval? Thats the one I use. Ive had only one issue with a small beta getting stuck to it, but, that could happen with any intake strainer. I like how well it works. I installed it and in 10 mins the surface scum in my 90 gallon was gone.

P

msn
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh thanks guys for convincing me. Actually i really like the way it cleans the water surface but just was not sure.

I will get one this week end and try it out! :)

Thanks!

wow_it_esploded
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I would only do it if the skimmer automatically adjusted to the water level (like the fluval one does, I think)

Patr1ck
12-10-2008, 03:43 AM
I would only do it if the skimmer automatically adjusted to the water level (like the fluval one does, I think) Yep. It does.
P

Harriett
12-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Foster and Smith has a $10 skimmer that will solve your issue. Search under: Aquarium Surface Skimmer.
It easily Tee's into your canister intake pipe by making one cut in the intake and sticking in the fitting of the skimmer. It only pulls a portion of the water to it and your regular intake does most of the job. You can adjust how much draw it has. I use it on my 180g since my spray bars are deeper in the tank and I had a 'flat water' problem [ie surface protein scum was visible] sitting on top, so the tank gas exchange was impeded. This little gadget completely solved the problem. I didn't want to move the spray bar to the top and lose more CO2.
Best regards
Harriett