PDA

View Full Version : Lighting options for 300 gal

Dkarc@Aol.com
11-30-2008, 11:58 PM
Ok, I want to see what everyones opinions are....I have a new 300 gal tank (pics in a few days) that is 30" tall. It will only have a few plants in it, mostly swords and a few smaller ones (to be determined later). I dont want to do any fertilizing or Co2 dosing of any kind (filter wont allow Co2 dosing), so staying below the "2 WPG" rule must apply. I am debating between T-5 and a regular PC setup. I know T-5 will have a higher PAR reading at the deeper portions of the tank, but it is more expensive than PC's. Since I am not going to use high light plants, do I need to go the more expensive T-5 route?? I have no problem going either way if necessary, I just want to do what will work without going overkill. I personally think that a 4 bulb (96W ea) PC setup will do the trick just fine, but wanted the good people of Simply Discus to give me their idea's/opinions since this will be my first "planted" tank.

-Ryan

YSS
12-01-2008, 09:45 AM
I am running four 96W CF bulbs (two blue actinic and two 10K) on my 30" tall tank (265G). I get great growth on my vals and onion plant, but my other plants don't get much growth. Anubias and lotus are doing well, but swords and crypts are doing ok. Others I have no success with, but I am a no plant expert.

Apistomaster
12-01-2008, 10:54 AM
A couple years ago I equipped all my tanks with NO T-5 fluorescent and the plants have all done well. I am using 2- 36", HO dual lamp Current Nova Extreme Fresh Water lamps on my new 125 gal.
I prefer low tech planted tanks because I like plants but am less an aquatic gardener than I am a fish keeper/breeder.
What I like about T-5 lighting is that it seems to remain fairly constant in it's out put over time then just burns out. I use a an extra fine point Sharpie pen to mark on the lamps the date of install. I am able to determine whether I'm getting the value I hope by keeping track of the lamp lifetimes. What I don't like about T-5 is that the lamps are very delicate and are easily damaged during installation handling. I am not happy with the type of lamp fixtures in the Current fixtures. They require undue effort to rotate the tubes into place. I broke one of the lamp end caps right off the bat.

calihawker
12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
I have the same tank and I'm running T5 V-HO with an icecap ballast. The lamps I'm using are UVL aquasun 10,000k and I really like the way they look. Larry's right about the fragility of the bulbs though. I did the same thing with the first set I bought. I think the T5's are the best option for penetrating the 30" depth.

Not to steer you away from your low tech plan, but why do you think you have no options for c02?

Steve

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok thanks everyone. I will most likely be doing the T-5 setup. I will post pics of the tank either later tonight or sometime later in the week.

-Ryan

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I have the same tank and I'm running T5 V-HO with an icecap ballast. The lamps I'm using are UVL aquasun 10,000k and I really like the way they look. Larry's right about the fragility of the bulbs though. I did the same thing with the first set I bought. I think the T5's are the best option for penetrating the 30" depth.

Not to steer you away from your low tech plan, but why do you think you have no options for c02?

Steve

Well it is because of my filter design. Without being able to get into too much detail, there will be roughly 10+cfm of air being pumped into the filter. Any and all Co2 would be degassed rather quickly. So using a Co2 setup would be pointless. Besides, im not wanting to focus on the plants...just have a few for some decoration to hide the overflows.

-Ryan

calihawker
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Well it is because of my filter design. Without being able to get into too much detail, there will be roughly 10+cfm of air being pumped into the filter. Any and all Co2 would be degassed rather quickly. So using a Co2 setup would be pointless. Besides, im not wanting to focus on the plants...just have a few for some decoration to hide the overflows.

-Ryan

Gotcha. Can't wait to see pics:)

Steve

purplehaze
12-01-2008, 03:55 PM
i have four 48in t5ho lights over my tank,i got mine at hydrophonics shop,each one cost me $40 with a 6400k sunblaster bulb and the have been on my tank for almost a year now.
so look around before spending $500 in a specialty shop.

Ed13
12-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Def do the T5 HO. Get great reflectors(important) and maybe an Ice cap ballast and more than likely 2 x 80w 5' long bulbs will light it good, depends on what's it for. Less electrical consumption, longer life and easy to add bulbs. Or you could do 4 x 54w with staggered bulbs on an Ice CAp ballast to ovedrive the bulbs.

Upgrade as needed from there.

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-01-2008, 07:46 PM
So a 5' setup would light it well?? I had a buddy bring his 6 bulb 48" T-5 setup over one day to see what it would look like and man, it was bright! We turned off one set of lights (from 6 to 4) and it seemed like a good look. Bumped it down to just 2 bulbs and it worked well, but slightly dim. So a 5' 2 bulb T-5 would work well? I have plenty of experience with setting up lighting systems for reef tanks, but almost none for planted tanks.

-Ryan

Ed13
12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
No Co2, low light plants, low tech...it should do with great reflectors, ballast and bulbs, 3 x 80w bulbs or more would be better though. But 54w bulbs may be easier to get in different spectrums, replace, and upgrade.
Either should do good.

You could get a 4 x 54w retro from Ice Cap, everything included and add bulbs as needed. Or...
2 x 80w and add as needed.

I vote for the 54w, because you can get them in different spectrums and they are easier to sell, move to another tank etc. if the need arises.

If it were my tank I would prob get 1 or 2 80w Ge 6,500k (cheap and easy:)) and set them in the middle. Then stagger to the sides 2 or 4 - 54w.
A combo of 1-2 daylight bulbs anywhere from 6,500k- 10,000k bulbs or 1-2 pink bulbs, either Pro Color, Fiji Pink, Or Power glo.

Sorry if it seems like I'm going all over the place, it's just that there are so many options, future upgrades;) and the fact that those swords are going to hog all the light as they grow:D

BTW, 80w bulbs are very rare around my area.

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Ok, after making a few calls to some friends im able to get 2 Nova Extreme 4 bulb 48" T-5 setups (with individual reflectors) for $250 (total, not each) new. 432 watts of light and still below the "2 WPG" rule. Hopefully will have them here in a week or two and get those installed while I finish up the canopy. No pics tonight, hopefully tomorrow (waiting on brother to email them to me).

-Ryan

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-02-2008, 10:17 PM
So how do you lift a 300 gallon glass tank 32" off the ground?? Well you could get a bunch of buddies and lift (which I had, but due to difficulties on tank manufacturer's behalf that effort got scrubbed). Or, you could get smart and use equipment that you already have. We used a nice heavy duty engine hoist with a spreader bar and 3 straps. Worked like a charm. And guess what...no straining of our backs/legs!!

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
And here are more pictures with the side cabinets and a view of the filtration system and a quick one of the front panel/doors before being nailed in place (didnt have a good pic of both sides finished). Canopy is currently being built/stained and should be finished in a few weeks.

-Ryan

calihawker
12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Careful don't crush the dog:p

Looks great so far! Is this gonna be a community tank? What are your plans for inhabitants?

Steve