PDA

View Full Version : What causes this?

Patr1ck
12-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Ok, so this isn't really a discus question but since there are lots of knowledgeable people in this forum I thought I'd ask. My brother in law has a cichlid tank that gets a water change about once every 4 or 5 months:(. He has had this happen to him twice. During the day when he's at work the power in his house randomly went out. Id say for 4 hrs max. When he comes home all of his fish are dead. Ive had the power out in mine for almost that long and everybody in my tank is ok, not really any signs of stress. Ive also had them in a moving van in a tank half filled for 8 hours during the drive. Some stress was noted, but nobody died. Its not a temperature issue in his case. He has 2 HOB's in a 55 gallon. Im assuming that it has something to do with a change in the water parameters from lack of water changes, but what changes to make it toxic?

Thanks,
P

Eddie
12-11-2008, 04:15 AM
All the benificial bacteria in his filters lost oxygen and died. When everything was turned back on, the dead bacteria polluted the tank, making it extremely toxic for the fish.

Maybe enough of your bacteria survived the power outage and was able to reconstitute.

Eddie

Ed13
12-11-2008, 09:08 AM
All the benificial bacteria in his filters lost oxygen and died. When everything was turned back on, the dead bacteria polluted the tank, making it extremely toxic for the fish.

Maybe enough of your bacteria survived the power outage and was able to reconstitute.

Eddie
Or it could be that the lenght of time between water changes allows all sort of thing including but not limited to nitrates to be in high numbers that a little strees puts them over the edge. I bet if he at least did twice monthly water changes this would not be happening.:(

mij
12-11-2008, 09:43 AM
You don't say what kind of cichlids or how many are in the tank when this happens. In a crowded tank, filters being off for several hours can cause all the fish to die because of loss of oxygen. In a larger tank you have a little more time, but the potential is still there. Water changes every few months is horrific! Especially with cichlids. Being more robust doesn't mean they should be abused. I suggesst your friend find the time for more frequent water changes or give the fish to someone who can care for them better.

Patr1ck
12-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Water changes every few months is horrific!.

I bet if he at least did twice monthly water changes this would not be happening.:(

You're both very right. I'm on him all the time.:whip:
He had the same 5 types both times.
1 red zebra 4"
1 texas chiclid 3"
1 other african 4"
1 jack dempsey 6"
2 common plecos 6"

Im asking about this because Im thinking about getting him the Azoo battery backup air pump for Christmas. Since giving him heck about taking better care of his tank has not worked, this might yield better results.:smash:

P

Autumn Wind
12-12-2008, 03:23 AM
I'm going to jump on the water change bandwagon too. The nitrates in his tank mush be through the roof. The fish build up an imunity to it but i would bet that if he were to try and add another fish after going that long w/o water changes the new fish would die. I would also guess that due to the lack of water changes the oxygen levels in his tank must be very low and the water very hard (which the african's happen to like)
my 2 cents

Patr1ck
12-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Does ammonia get more toxic as the water ph goes up? Or do I have that backward?

P

Eddie
12-12-2008, 05:49 AM
I have the Azoo battery back-up pump and it saved lives! When I was living in the Azores Portugal, the power went out regularly. Its a life saver

12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
Ammonia is more toxic at PH values above neutral or 7.0 I also agree with those who recommend more frequent water changes. Maybe get him a Python as well ? If he already has one then it passes my understanding as to the infrequency of water changes. Poor fishies:(

Dkarc@Aol.com
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
His DOC levels were sky high if they all died in 4 hours. This is especially true since water changes arent done hardly at all. The heterotrophic bacteria in the tank used up all the O2 in short order. Sounds like he definetly needs to be taking better care of his fish.

-Ryan

Ed13
12-12-2008, 09:24 AM
1 red zebra 4"
1 texas chiclid 3"
1 other african 4"
1 jack dempsey 6"
2 common plecos 6"

While were at it, I would not place these fish together and more than likely a 55g not big enough to keep them long term, it is large enough for one adult Texas, or a pair of Jack Dempsey, it could certainly make a nice small African cichlid set up. I say this respectfully though as it is my opinion.:)

I say get him the battery back up, python and a few water changing clases by you;)

brewmaster15
12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Best Guess... Oxygen levels... A tank that has gone that long without a water change has got a serious amount biological waste accumulating... these put a high demand on oxygen ... I'm guessing its a substrate tank as well? Add all these factors plus the fishes oxygen demands and you've got a likely scenario IMO.

hth,
al

MostlyDiscus
12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Hey Basshead, can I get a link for that backup? Thx man, Ed

mikel
12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Someone said to me once that not changing the water in a tank is like not flushing the toilet, and the poor fish end up living in Cr@#$%p. It's neglect and abuse at its worst, as the fish suffer before it dies...like keeping a poor goldfish in a bowl and never changing the water. Some people really were asleep when heaven passed out brains. :angry: mike

Patr1ck
12-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Hey Basshead, can I get a link for that backup? Thx man, Ed

Im not Basshead but heres where I ordered it from.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3669+8120&pcatid=8120

P

Patr1ck
12-12-2008, 02:26 PM
... Maybe get him a Python as well ? ... Poor fishies:(

We got him that last year.
Poor fishies is right?
I also think that I should have him read this thread.:whip:

Thanks
P