PDA

View Full Version : For those on well...

Ed13
12-11-2008, 09:01 PM
...are you guys running your well pumps to power RO systems? Can you even do that?

I have a plan for a dual water storage/processing system and a regular 1/4" booster pump is inappropiate. Trying to figure if I can do it with a shallow well 1/2 HP pump and pressure tank combo @ 40-60 psi or if I should dish for an industrial 1/3 HP booster pump capable of giving me the RO high of 100 psi or even more or just scratch the whole project.

Both set ups cost about the same and involve surprisingly the same plumbing, only thing throwing me off is that the industrial booster requires 10 psi at the intake if temp is above 60F, which is the point of what I'm doing;). Tap can provide that but the other source can't. My target numbers are roughly 77F-80F at 40-100 psi for the input of the RO. So post RO numbers could be really high in product water with very little water wasted and a very large degree of indepence from the water Co..

I know details are a little blurry ( I don't want to post much info until I get it right). But if you are guessing what do I mean dual, means that it can proccess tap water plus another source.:D

So those on well, especially those on shallow wells and have any info on your pump set ups, please share.

Graham
12-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Ed, When I ran mine for the reef I turned up the cut in/out on the pressure tank. It wasn't a lot higher than what yours is set at now from what I can remember

Ed13
12-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Ed, When I ran mine for the reef I turned up the cut in/out on the pressure tank. It wasn't a lot higher than what yours is set at now from what I can remember

Huh? Sorry G that def got lost in translation:o

The second water source will be house above the pump, btw

G, you might guess what I'm thinking since I PM you a while back about something similar;).I just don't want to out all the info yet, at least in public way.

discussmith
12-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I can guess from your post that + or - 1/2 of your water will be from an unpressurized source. I can guess what that will be but won't out it either. Treat your second supply as a well and get a surface well pump with a small pressure tank and water pressure control to the pump. As you draw water from the pressure tank the pressure will drop and the pump will come on sending water from storage to the pressure tank just like a well system. If you try to send both sources into one R.O. though you may have balancing problems. It might work better to use two separate R.O. and mix them afterwards. Just my thoughts. Good luck and let us know either way as success and failures help us all.

Ed13
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
I can guess from your post that + or - 1/2 of your water will be from an unpressurized source. I can guess what that will be but won't out it either. Treat your second supply as a well and get a surface well pump with a small pressure tank and water pressure control to the pump. As you draw water from the pressure tank the pressure will drop and the pump will come on sending water from storage to the pressure tank just like a well system. If you try to send both sources into one R.O. though you may have balancing problems. It might work better to use two separate R.O. and mix them afterwards. Just my thoughts. Good luck and let us know either way as success and failures help us all.
Than you very much. Yes the two sources will run independent from each other, actually one will run primarily and tap when the other runs out;).

So in your opinion would a 1/2 HP pump with 19gal pressure tank cut it? I already saw a local running something similar, but I'm nervous about running the pump continously against the RO since his pump is already acting out. But, even at similar purchase and set up costs I would hate to pay for the 1/3 HP booster when I'd basically will be running it at less than half capacity.
Anyhow, sourcing the storage tanks may be the biggest hurdle to my plans. I almost fainted at the quotes I got for them:(

BTW the Booster pump, looks like and from the description is almost identical to this one, just red and at half the price :D
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1232/High-Pressure-Booster-Pump/booster/0

I have a long time to set this up as a necessity!

discussmith
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I would think the 1/2HP would be fine. Most R.O. units don't use the water all that fast so it should keep up. Your best bet is to try and contact RandalB. He was a manufacturer of R.O. systems and has all the knowledge and experience concerning them. I believe he is still around and his info is still here. Do a member search and either e-mail or PM him with your specs.

Ed13
12-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I would think the 1/2HP would be fine. Most R.O. units don't use the water all that fast so it should keep up. Your best bet is to try and contact RandalB. He was a manufacturer of R.O. systems and has all the knowledge and experience concerning them. I believe he is still around and his info is still here. Do a member search and either e-mail or PM him with your specs.
Thanks, I'll drop Randal a PM with this link He has been super good to mwe in the past.

BTW, the tap water part of the project is on.
Found a source for brand new storage polythylene ready plumbed tanks;)

Just need to decide on the pump/tank or the booster:rolleyes:, lol

Ed13
12-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Anyone running RO on a well pump without booster pump?

Ed13
12-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Update:
I found a cheaper 1/2 hp + tank shallow well jet pump. I had my Homer Simpson D'oh moment, the decrease in price was enough to justify purchasing the well pump and later on adding a traditional booster pump if needed at even a lower cost than previous options.

Also found 2 brand new 200g storage tanks with bulkheads and delivered for $350. They are sitting on my roof waiting to be plubmed, yes on the roof;).
We are good to go on the tap water side!

I bet you guys won't guess in what store I found it all! lol:D

sneaker
12-20-2008, 09:56 AM
I run my RO unit with out a booster , I have well water and the presure tank is set for the well pump to turn on at 40 psi and turn off at 60 psi I run warm water thru the ro and it cranks out the ro water no problems

Ed13
12-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Update: 1 x 200gal storage tank is on the roof full, plumbed, and operational. Second to be plumbed as needed. Has a nice float valve for refill. So far tap water only!

The well pump is also plumbed and operational, 3 minor leaks to fix, but it's a wicked pump. Took only 9 min to fill a 75 gal and I think it can put out more pressure. Pressure switch worked and is much quieter than I thought.

Now I need to work on getting water out of the tanks just as fast, for that a self primimg 1/2 hp utility pump was bought. I wanted to have individual lines to each tank, but I couldn't beleive how much plumbing parts cost me. So I may end up having a single drain line and transfering form tank to tank. Qt tanks could have their own line.

:angel: I need to borrow a camera and post pics, huh?

Ed13
01-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Update:
First pics ever to be uploaded by me so, be gentle:o
First pic is of the 2 x 200g tanks of the roof and the other is of the well pump

Ha, I figure it out on my first try!!!

Graham
01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Good going.........Now you have to make them a little bigger;):)

Ed13
01-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Good going.........Now you have to make them a little bigger;):)
Took me a while to figure out how to resize them using XP in order to post them:p. No clue how to make them bigger G, lol