PDA

View Full Version : Using flourish excel, aeration question

vincentliu89
12-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi, i have a question. I use flourish excel for C02 for my plants. I want to know if i add a air stone, will this take the C02 away? Or nothings going to happen?

geleen
12-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Hi, i have a question. I use flourish excel for C02 for my plants. I want to know if i add a air stone, will this take the C02 away? Or nothings going to happen?

Since you are adding a chemical compound and not a gas.....nothing will happen except most plants love it.
John

alpine
12-21-2008, 06:49 PM
My wife uses the Excell in her planted tank with areation and it works fine .
One word of advise on the excell, I got all this expert advise on getting rid of different algeas at the ACA conventions and pass them to my wife for her to try in her planted tank (she is doing great with it ) the first advise by a biologist at the Atlanta ACA was to dip plants in pure excell to rid of blue algea , well her anubias did not fare very well, after that experience I got someone elses advise not to dip them in that fashion but to just simply double dose excell in the tank....well...she lost three marble hatchets, thre rummy noses and the two panda corys the next morning ..she does not want to hear anymore of my so called expert advise I have goten from her at the ACA conventions from so called experts.
I told her I am just trying to help :)

Roberto.

scolley
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Roberto is on target, too much Excel can cause trouble. Used as directed, you can never go wrong. And as a algaecide, it can be squirted directly on some unwanted algaes with a syringe. The key here is that you turn your pumps/filters off so the Excel can dwell awhile on the algae. And that even when using it this way you still should not exceed recommended doses.

Last week I got fed up with the green algae living in the joints where my acrylic tank sides connect. So during a 90% water change I used a syrenge to squirt into those cracks. I didn't exceed recommended doses, so the plants and fish are fine. And the algae is GONE.

There are lots of people that have had good luck exceeding recommended doses. But lots of other people have gotten in trouble too. So it's a proceed-with-caution decision, should you do so.

vincentliu89
12-21-2008, 08:15 PM
thanks for all the advice, but all im asking is will adding an airstone affect the C02(flourish excel)

scolley
12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Sorry. John answered that question this morning. It will not out-gas. It's a liquid. Aeration will not dissipate it.