PDA

View Full Version : The Discus Move Into MY 100g Planted

captain morgan
12-24-2008, 03:11 AM
6 new discus have found a new home in my planted aquarium, I've never kept any discus fish before but have always wanted them and now that i found this forum I believe I'm ready. So I'm taking out my mish- mash of assorted fish, cleaning house and starting over again, Out are coming my 4 large angels- their the biggest fish in the tank, and they always fight with each other and I won't be missing watching that . Coming out also are my 2 kribensis, 20 glowlights, 15 rasbora, 2 apistro cauctoid's, and 2 swordtails. Here's who is staying- 12 cardinal tetra's, 2 bristlenose pleco's [they've spawned twice already] - 2 bolivian blue ram's,7 corydora's ,5 otocinclus, 5 amano shrimp, and 3 SAE. And moving in are a school of 21 rummynose and a school of 6 discus. So here are some pic's of my new fish in their new home. My tank so needed to have some discus in it and now it finally does. The first picture is taken right after the evictions, pretty lonely looking hey? 12 cardinals and 2 rams got to rule the tank briefly anyways. Hope you all enjoy.

Freon
12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Nice variety. What kind of Discus are they?

marielou20
12-27-2008, 08:15 PM
really nice! what kind of discus are your yellow ones?

rickztahone
12-27-2008, 11:07 PM
..15 rasbora...

i checked these out on aquabid to check out how they look and they look great. thinking of buying some after i research them to see if they will adapt well to my water chemistry. here's the link so you can varify if they are indeed the ones you have
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcyprinids&1230510011

Eddie
12-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Looks really nice but a lighter gravel and light background would bring their colors out, reduce peppering and prevent them from darkening up. JM2 cents

Eddie

TankWatcher
12-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for sharing.

What plants do you have & what types are your discus. Do you have C02?

Triadtropz
12-28-2008, 10:11 AM
i checked these out on aquabid to check out how they look and they look great. thinking of buying some after i research them to see if they will adapt well to my water chemistry. here's the link so you can varify if they are indeed the ones you have
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcyprinids&1230510011

I didnt know rasboros could take the higher temps of a discus tank?..

captain morgan
12-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Well my tank looks so different and so much better with my 6 new Discus and 21 rummynose to go along with my cardinals and a pair of rams. These schools of fish work perfect with each other and I wish I would have done this sooner. The new discus are 2 blue snakeskin, the large blue/red one is also a snakeskin right? 1 red pidgeon blood and the 2 yellow ones are called Supermelons.
Rick if you are referring to the "lambchop" rasbora that is the kind I took out, they are a pretty fish but would constantly mix in with the glowlights which were a similar metalic red color and then of course my cardinals would also mix in with these guys, so I had- what looked like fish soup. Now my Discus are the focal point and the rummynose are to fast and active for the cardinals to keep up with so I have the seperate schools of fish I like.

Eddie- yes the red pidgeon & the 2 supermelons have peppered since going into my dark tank, I tried a lighter blue background but only the black looks good to me. As for the black florite substrate I keep thinking about changing part of it to white sand for that beach look like Robyn [tankwatcher] has. That might help stop the peppering and it looks so nice.

Robyn yes I do have pressurized Co2 and my plants consist of : cryptocornes, anubias,java fern, red tiger lotus, rotala indica, mossballs, blyxa japonica, and some ever decreasing babytears which won't root in the florite. ------ Cheers All.

TankWatcher
12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Hi Captain, how are the 5 amano shrimps doing with the discus? I'd like to try cherry shrimps, but always felt the discus would munch down on them.

rickztahone
12-29-2008, 02:46 AM
Hi Captain, how are the 5 amano shrimps doing with the discus? I'd like to try cherry shrimps, but always felt the discus would munch down on them.

i have some rather small cherry shrimp that i just released into my tank from a QT box and the discus do not bother them at all. when i got the RCS they were tiny though, and they might have gotten eaten, which is why bought the QT box to put in my tank. i still have 10 in my QT in case the discus would've ate them but they haven't so far

captain morgan
12-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Robyn: 4 out of the 5 amano shrimp are still alive, for about 3 weeks I had thought all had perished as I never could find them, all 5 had been hiding in some floating water wisteria I had in the tank. Now that I have removed the floating plants the shrimp have been forced to live down on the plants in the substrate where their supposed to be. My discus have not gone after the shrimp at all even when their occasionally out in the open and not hiding in my many plants. The 1 shrimp that died I actually found on the carpet a week ago while vacuuming, he used the floating plants as a ladder to escape and go for a walk. I would have tried the cherry shrimp but the LFS sells them for $9.00 a piece so 5 would cost me $45.00 plus tax! The Amano's were $3.00 each- still expensive, but darn it's hard to even see them- because of their clear color their almost invisible and you really have to search for them, the bright red of the cherry shrimp would make it so much more visible especially next to any green plants. How much do shrimp cost you there in Australia?

Cheers,
Captain Morgan.