PDA

View Full Version : Discus strain please...

ltgoof
12-27-2008, 01:45 PM
Hi I saw this red discus in you tube, I thought it's gorgeous. Can somebody identify the strains please...

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/arxen/misc/reddiscus.png

Thanks.

ShinShin
12-27-2008, 02:07 PM
I'd say it is an old school Marlboro Red. The facial striations and pearls, along with the blue in the fins were common in MR's before the were all cleaned up.

Mat

bs6749
12-27-2008, 02:12 PM
First thing that came to my mind was a marlboro red, though I'm no expert.

SLY
12-27-2008, 02:15 PM
pigeon

April
12-27-2008, 02:27 PM
good to see you here sly. : )
i agree. a basic pigeonblood marlboro type. older version of the red melons.

ltgoof
12-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks guys. Thanks Master April. :)

I wonder if Kenny has this strain

bs6749
12-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Kenny is out of discus right now...his shipments sell fast. Why not check with April? She gets from the same suppliers as Kenny but it'd better for you since she is in Canada and the fish wouldn't have to clear Customs. There are also quite a few other solid reds out there if she doesn't have the marlboro reds.

seanyuki
12-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Did some homework for April and check out her thread in BC Aquaria and photos of Kenny's fish with his approval to post.

http://www.bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16683

Cheers
Francis:)

Thanks guys. Thanks Master April. :)

I wonder if Kenny has this strain

ltgoof
12-29-2008, 05:18 AM
Hi Francis,

Thanks for posting. I have already placed an order (some RSGs) with Master April before I post this thread. I saw the 3Rs on Kenny's December shipment (I know you got those lovely 3Rs too). I think those are solid red strains right? Correct me if I'm wrong, 3R means Red body, Red Fin and Red gill plate. So 3Rs doesn't have any stripes or spots.

But this one, according to Master April has a pigeon strain. A Red Pigeon maybe? Which I haven't seen from Kenny's shipment since I started lurking his threads ;) Maybe I'll ask him directly if he has this from time to time.

Cheers!

ShinShin
12-29-2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, the Marlboro strain is a pigeonblood variant. The first versions had the striations and pearls you see in the pic, as well as the blue in the fins. The MR's have been improved upon over the years. As you see now, there are variants with no pearls or pepper.

Mat