PDA

View Full Version : What plant suplements do you guys use.

grandrapids9
12-31-2008, 09:20 AM
Hi, I am using Flourish Iron and Flourish Excel, what are your thoughts, it is being used in a Discus planted tank, and am now setting up a 90 gal as soon as the stand comes into the LFS.

Are there any highly recommended brands, I will be using co2 in near future, I have the tank and the regulator from my salt days from the calcium reactor. But will have to get rest of equipment for that.

bs6749
12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I hear a lot of people using Greg Watson's ferts. Lots of planted tank people use potassium nitrate. I use Excel, which is great for the "liquid carbon" that it provides the plants. You should be careful with this stuff though since it will melt away some plants like jungle vals (any vals I think) and anacharis.

I don't know if you are aware of this but these things should be considered: If you don't have the lighting then you don't need the ferts since one does no good without the other. You need a balance in a planted tank for things to work properly.

Personally, I think all you'd need is a good plant substrate like Flourite or Eco-Complete. CO2 would be beneficial in addition but isn't necessary for most plants. When you get your new CO2 setup I'd stop dosing Excel.

Wahter
01-03-2009, 07:14 AM
Tropica’s Mastergrow has been renamed to PLANT NUTRITION liquid; I use it with good results:

http://www.tropica.com/article.asp?type=news&id=686

Seachem's Flourish products are good too.

Hope that helps,

Walter

tacks
01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Hi I also use tropical master grow along with plant tabs and at times nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Yo may not need have of these it all depends on your lighting and if you have co2. HTH Ed