PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Discus meeting for January 24th !!

dpt8
12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi all. I spoke with Al and we are planning a Northeast Discus meeting here in Dartmouth, Massachusetts 02747 We are going to meet at an area resturant for food and meeting. Al is going to give a talk with slides. Then we will go to my place to see over 400 gls. of my 50 discus. I could NOT have had such a great collection if it wasn't for Al and Kenny. I asked for the meeting to be in my neck of the woods so people northshore Boston and Massachusetts areas will have a meeting closer to them so they will attend. Please don't make me look bad people. I know Al will piggyback on this thread when he is @ home or gets a chance to. I wanted to get the word out so people will plan on the date. I will follow up with restaurant info. and a place for people to stay if they come from a distance and wish overnight accomodations.
David Touchette 508-542-295

ashaysathe
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Nice ... Great going guys.
Talk with slides will be gr8 also the informal "open floor" nature of the meeting we had so far was gr8 as well.

Will be good fun and I am greatly looking forward for it.

patrick richard
12-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Dave,

That sounds great. I have been wanting to come up that way. I will be taking some time off to come. I received all my vacation time back for the year. I cant wait to see your fish, we have talked alot about them at the last couple of get togethers. let me know if there is anything that I can do to help.

It will be great to see everyone again, and to meet some new members as well.

Patrick

mikel
12-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I would love to go...but I have to make sure that I am not giving out an exam that day. The 24th is the last day of our exam week, which begins right after that Monday (I think it's MLK day). So if none of my courses are slated to have an exam that day (either morning or afternoon), then I am game too. Thanks Dave for doing this....I learned so much from both Al and you! mike

GrillMaster
01-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Great plan for the restaurant meeting Dave!! Hope they have chicken fried steak! ;) :D :D :D

JeffreyRichard
01-02-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm in ... let me know if I can provide anything ... I can talk too if more topics are ncessary

subcooler
01-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Meeting sounds good!
I missed the last one & am anxious to get together again & talk discus!
Keep me posted as date gets closer.

Happy New Year to all,
Rob

mmorris
01-02-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm in ... let me know if I can provide anything ...

Bring a shrubbery.
Martha

fred 22
01-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Dave count me in sounds like fun.It will be nice to see all your Discus again.
Thanks Fred

brewmaster15
01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks David for Hosting this winter Get together and putting together the details!:)

As David mentioned I will be there as well and will be doing a talk on Discus Health...Its a presentation I have done for several area fish clubs and I hope it helps out the Discus Hobbyists that attend the meeting in some small way......

To those that have been to our get togethers before...you all know what to expect...FFFF......Food, friends, fish and Fun... To those that haven't been... We've got this group of Discus Nuts in the North East USA that gets together now about 4 times ayear for some socializing and fun and Fish.... No memberships, no dues, no bs, Its just a good way to connect with others in the hobby, make some friends and talk fishes.... I think its really strengthened a bunch of friendships out here and created a bunch more..

ALL are welcome to attend!!!

hope to see you all there! Please confirm with David here by Pm or here in the thread if you will be going....we are going to try to find an appropriate restaurant this time...

Thanks

-al

Ps... Things to come that we'll talk about this meeting....Looking at spring for another get together, maybe at my home... and Marks planning a massive Shindig at his home in the summer....Think Pool party...barb-B-Q....pig roast...Home brews... and Discus...more on that latter.

ashaysathe
01-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Marks planning a massive Shindig at his home in the summer....Think Pool party...barb-B-Q....pig roast...Home brews... and Discus...more on that latter.

Oh .. one thing is missing.. play cricket in the huge lush backyard..

GrillMaster
01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Oh .. one thing is missing.. play cricket in the huge lush backyard..

Tell ya what Ashaye...If you can find anyone that knows how to play that game you might have a fightin chance!! :)

Hopefully that backyard will be turned into a parkin lot this summer! ;) :D :D :D

I am definately looking forward to going to this one Dave! I haven't been up to Mass for awhile and I am dyin to check out your tanks and Discus!! Looks like a few new people will be there. No dought a good time will be had by all! :)

Moon
01-05-2009, 01:42 PM
Tell ya what Ashaye...If you can find anyone that knows how to play that game you might have a fightin chance!!

I can help out here. It's been a while since I played but still remember the rules of the game.

ashaysathe
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
There u go.... excellent..

JeffreyRichard
01-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Bring a shrubbery.
Martha

NEE!

DiscussDiscus
01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Everyone,

Sadly I am out of the country on the 24th, but I've half a mind to tell the Wife that we should move our trip to Egypt back a day just so I could make it!

I'd love to meet up with some of the locals who have been excellent in these forums and PMs in helping guide me.

Here's hoping the next meeting falls when I'm actually local!

Regards,
Lee
Medford, Ma

Sandy W
01-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Quick question: What time is the meeting? (I have a company party on Boston @6 and want to see if I can fit both in...)
Sandy

dpt8
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
LEE, You are SO close to us.. Sorry you can't make it !! Sandy, I am going to check with Al but we are going to have a sandwich and lecture by Al, starting at 1:00pm, Jan 24th.. Then, we will go to my place to check out my fih and talk more shop ( discus) hehe Boston is 60 miles away. Not long at all.

Mark, right now, if I don't sell any discus I have 50 beautiful discus.. Thanks for looking forward to this meeting Bro !!

I will post soon the address of the restuarant where the food and lecture will be and local places to stay over if you wish to stay here overnight. Looks like things are really shaping up to be a great meeting. Great to see my discus friends and meet new people !! David

brewmaster15
01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Timing sounds good to me David,

I know a few are thinking of heading up for an overnight so when you get a chance please post the area hotel info.

Thanks,
al

dpt8
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Everyone !! I am very excited about our next convention/meeting !! :0) Its really shaping up with friends that plan to attend. If Subcooler Rob does come we may have to have a prize for the member who traveled the farthest unless our Canadian friends plan on coming.. :0) My Address: David Touchette 797 Tucker Rd. N. Dartmouth, Ma. 02747

Saturday, January 24, 2009 at 1:00 will start our get together. People are welcome to meet at my place ahead of time or just meet at the restaurant which is:
Huttleston House 111 Huttleston Ave Rt 6 Fairhaven Ma. 02719 508-999-1791
Directions: Exit 18 of Rt 195 ( rt. 240) Fairhaven. go to the end to rt 6. Turn right, then second set of lights , 100 yards on the left side of Rt 6

Sandwiches start at 6.99 which include fries/ varied luncheon menu. Everyone pays for their own lunch. We have a small room and bar area to ourselves. After our luncheon and Al's presentation we will go to my place for dessert, see my fish and talk discus !!!

Nice place to stay if overnight: Comfort Inn by Choice Hotels 171 Faunce Corner Rd. N. Dartmouth, Ma. 02747 508-996-0800
Asst. manager is giving us Christmas Special which is good until 1/30/09 $65. night
Say we were given Christmas special of $65. night when you call. Continental breakfast included. Savings of $24. night !!!

mikel
01-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Dave for doing this! It looks like my exam is tentatively all going to happen on Thursday...so that gives me a full day on Friday to get some leeway into grading the awful mess. Hence I think I can make it on Saturday. See you all. mike

mmorris
01-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm going to be making a substantial order for frozen food from Drs. Foster & Smith. Shipping is $25 for any amount. If you are going to the NE meeting and want in on the order, pm me and I will bring your order to the meeting. This way you will only pay a percentage of the shipping. :)

GrillMaster
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm going to be making a substantial order for frozen food from Drs. Foster & Smith. Shipping is $25 for any amount. If you are going to the NE meeting and want in on the order, pm me and I will bring your order to the meeting. This way you will only pay a percentage of the shipping. :)

Shame Martha...I am all stocked up at the moment. Great deal though for the ones attending specially if ya get 4 or 5 to go in on it with ya. :)

mmorris
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll be ordering the frozen at the end of the week so if anyone wants to order, let me know soon. Also, if anyone is interested in raising red wrigglers I can bring some along, free of charge of course.

brewmaster15
01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi all,
Does anyone thats going to the meeting have access to an LCD projector? It would help greatly if you do and could bring it...Please let me know.

Thanks,
al

JeffreyRichard
01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone thats going to the meeting have access to an LCD projector? It would help greatly if you do and could bring it...Please let me know.

Thanks,
al
I have one ... actually my wife has one. I'll check with her ...

dpt8
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks Jeff. That would really help out. I can't take one from my school as I had planned. Celeste has an older model at her school we could use if your wife doesn't think we should use hers. We have 10 people attending this meeting ( that I know of) including me and Al. Please check in and let me know for sure soon. Thanks all !!!!! David T

JeffreyRichard
01-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I'll bring the projector ... all set

dpt8
01-15-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks Big Jeff :9) Can't wait until our meeting !! David T

brewmaster15
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
Awesome Jeff!! Thanks!:)

-al

scolley
01-16-2009, 08:45 AM
David - Thank you for hosting the meeting. And I'm glad to see it move up your way so we can get more people involved. You've traveled a long way to come down here, hopefully this will be able to attract people that were unable to make the long hike to CT.

But I'm afraid to say that I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. It's possible, but please don't count on my. I'm spending the week leading up to the 24th on a business trip and I may not return until the 24th. And even if I can seek back late on the 23rd, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to leave the for a day as soon as I get home. And the would be the case regardless of where the meeting was held - long distance or next door.

My regrets friend. But I do hope you have a wonderful meeting!

PS - But if plans change, I'll try to bring a shrubbery.

JeffreyRichard
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
PS - But if plans change, I'll try to bring a shrubbery.

Neeh!

Moon
01-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Sorry I won't be able to make it this time. I am off on a family vacation to Mexico on the 25th.
I'd like to offer to host a meeting in Southern Ontario either in May or June. Any interest in coming across the border?
Joe

brewmaster15
01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Joe,
Sorry you can't make it down here... :( maybe one of these times..

As for coming up there...always a possibility we can explore!:)

-al

brewmaster15
01-20-2009, 10:44 AM
If anyone wants me to bring up beefheart for them to the meeting... please let me know asap... I'm making a bunch this week...

Thanks,
al

ashaysathe
01-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't want to miss a chance to come to your house, have coffee, more talks and discussions and more fish... :D :D :D

brewmaster15
01-20-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't want to miss a chance to come to your house, have coffee, more talks and discussions and more fish... :D :D :D

LoL Ashay!:)

-al

mikel
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi Al: You already have my order, right? I need just two slabs for now. I still have some of the original and as much as I am feeding about 5 times a day this Bh, I only have 7 discus...and the pigeon pair arent big eaters. I am really focused on the one young adult from Kenny and the two juvie babies from you. The rest are grown. See you on saturday. :)Thankss mike

brewmaster15
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Got it Mike!

-al

dpt8
01-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Folks. This Saturday Jan 24th we will meet at the
Huttleston House 111 Huttleston Ave. Rt 6 in Fairhaven Ma 02719

Here is a list of people I believe are attending: Al, Patrick, Jeff, Mark, MikeL ,Martha (mmorris), Ahsay, Fred, and myself. Not sure about Sandy ??

If more are coming I hope you can make it !!! Please let me know so I can keep an approximate count for the restaurant. If some of you are not sure and can make it at the last minute, come !!

My cell phone number is 508-542-2295 Thanks, David Touchette

mmorris
01-21-2009, 10:46 PM
Please let me know so I can keep an approximate count for the restaurant.

I look forward to it!
Martha

brewmaster15
01-22-2009, 08:32 AM
David,
We may have one additional one also, Another Discus keeper in CT..Jay...I'll confirm with you latter after I speak with him today.

Should be alot of fun.

-al

GrillMaster
01-22-2009, 09:28 AM
A good time will be had by all!! :D :D :D

brewmaster15
01-22-2009, 12:14 PM
David,
Please do add Jay to the List...Just spoke with him and hes planning on attending.

Thanks,
al

dpt8
01-22-2009, 02:16 PM
Cool Al !! Glad Jay can make it !!!
Hey Mark, Should I get Bud or Sam Adams for our dessert time !!???
It will be great to see everyone !! David

GrillMaster
01-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Cool Al !! Glad Jay can make it !!!
Hey Mark, Should I get Bud or Sam Adams for our dessert time !!???
It will be great to see everyone !! David

I am easy bro! Sam Adams is a lil better than bud though...;) :D :D :D

I am sure Al an I will be bringin some desert beer as well! :thumbsup:

ashaysathe
01-22-2009, 03:11 PM
Coffee and sugar

GrillMaster
01-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Coffee and sugar

Sam Adams doesn't make that flavor Ashay...;) :D :D :D

mmorris
01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Coffee and sugar

Designated driver! :D
Anyone else staying at the hotel?

ashaysathe
01-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Sam Adams doesn't make that flavor Ashay...;) :D :D :D

Good idea though.. we can sell that one

Carolina discus
01-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Best of luck to you guys on this....I wish I could make it....been a long time since I went "home"......

dpt8
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Its getting closer and I am getting anxious. Hey Eric, Come on up here anyway !! See the old area !! Coffee, sugar, wine and friends.. oh and a little beer.. :9) Plus a great presentation from Al. What more could we ask for.. David

Carolina discus
01-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Dave,
Thanks buddy, I know this will be a great meeting....just no way I can pull it off right now....soon though..
Keep us posted with lots of pics

Eric

GrillMaster
01-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Dave,
Thanks buddy, I know this will be a great meeting....just no way I can pull it off right now....soon though..
Keep us posted with lots of pics

Eric

Eric no worries bud! There are big things lurking on the horizon for NEDA...:)

dpt8
01-23-2009, 08:22 AM
OOOppss !! Anyone have a portable screen ?? I'll check around here also..

brewmaster15
01-23-2009, 08:35 AM
David,
I should have that covered...I'll make a call a little latter today.. so don't go crazy on the screen.

thanks,
al

BOBT00LS
01-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I hope you all have a great time. Im sure I will be meeting up with the group somewhere down the road at a meeting. As for tomorrow I'll be driving for 6 hours up to Rochester, NY. Hey Dave, feel free to have my desert as well :)

Bob

Elite Aquaria
01-24-2009, 07:41 AM
I hope everyone has a great time today...One of these days I plan on making the trip up north to hang with you guys and gals. Al take a lot of pictures for us. Have fun...:)

Eyecandy
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi.. Just wanted to say everyone have a fantastic time.. Hopefully sometime in the not too distant future we will make our move out there and I will get to meet all you wonderful people in person. Til then have a beer and smile at the wonderful fish for me and have fun... Sue:D:D

blkrob
01-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Hope all parties are enjoying the day. Do you think there will ever be a point when we (I) could join via webcast. I know this is asking alot, but just wishful thinking.:D. I almost want to move be to the east coast.

scolley
01-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I know this is asking alot, but just wishful thinking.:D
I think that is an interesting idea! I'm hosting one of these meetings this year (I'm guessing Fall), and when that happens, I'll see if I can at least hook up a web cam so we can at least wave "Hi" to every one. Good thinkin'! :thumbsup:

Wish we had one at Mike's now. I could see what I'm missing...

Eddie
01-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh that would be fantastic! A webcast would be perfect for me! Can the Northeast Discus expand to Japan!

Eddie

mikel
01-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks to Al, Jeff, Ashay, patrick, Martha, Mark, Fred and the good folks at the Huttingston house where we all met for the meeting...It was an awsome time. Al's presentation about diseases and meds was so informative, and it's always so nice to be able to talk discus for a whole afternoon and enjoy everyone's company. Sorry I had to scoot out at 8:00pm but I think the party is still going on at Dave's place!

The web cam might be a real option for next time, but it's definitely great to meet up.

Martha!...get to work with those two special fish...you know which ones;))))));)!

Thanks everyone! mike

brewmaster15
01-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi all,
Yes it was a great meeting...we all had a great time at the restaurant and at Davids...I have to say David was an awesome host and really has acquired some really great fish in his collection.. Thanks so much for the good times today.

The meeting although officially over is still going on.. We've all just checked in to our hotels...Mark, Martha and I had planned on staying up here...Ashay and Patrick had to make some unexpected plans to stay up as well... So the 5 of us got to go out for a late night dinner as well..

Its been great today meeting up with everyone...Fred....remember not so many years this next time;) and Mike...Hope to see you again at the spring get togther.

I didn't take any pics ...cameras on the fritz, but there were some pics taken...I think Ashay can post them latter..

Anyway...Night all...I'm beat and hitting the sack.

-al

subcooler
01-25-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm sure a great time was had by all @ the meeting yesterday!
Family obligations prevented me from attending-sometimes it's a tough balancing act between family & discus obsession:D
I definately missed seeing you guys again-but will be @ next meeting.
Any idea who's hosting next time?
Hope everyone has safe trip home & is doing well.
Peace,
Rob

fred 22
01-25-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you David for hosting the meeting . You have a great collection of Discus.
Thank you Al for the presentation and the Beef Heart and it was a pleasure meeting you all. I had a great time.I am all ready looking forward to the next one.
Al i can,t beleave i stayed away so long. i will work on that.

Martha I agree with Mike on those special fish keep us informed.

Thanks again to all
FRED.OLIVER

dpt8
01-25-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi everyone !! Thanks so much for coming here to the Greater New Bedford area.. What a great time I had. Al gave such an informative great talk on discus and diseases. Al, please let me know if you give that talk again because there is so much info.. I wish to KNOW and learn all. I am also happy to have been able to show off all my discus but once again thankful to Al and Kenny for helping me have such a nice and diverse collection, and Al sharing his beauties with me. Also, ironic but good timing for my cobalt blue male and blue turq female to have eggs. MAYBE they will get it right this time and have babies

I have to thank my girl friend Celeste also for making our discus cake, brownies and two kinds of party mix. She is the behind the scenes person that works so hard for me.. It was also great to have MikeL, Fred22 and mmorris attend our meeting.. I hope they become regular attendies.

There are more great plans for future meetings so I hope more people can attend.. Thanks to all.

Ed13
01-25-2009, 01:11 PM
I have to thank my girl friend Celeste also for making our discus cake, brownies and two kinds of party mix. She is the behind the scenes person that works so hard for me.. It was also great to have MikeL, Fred22 and mmorris attend our meeting.. I hope they become regular attendies.

There are more great plans for future meetings so I hope more people can attend.. Thanks to all.
Celeste does mean heavens;)

Glad to hear it was a success, now, where are our pics?!:D

mmorris
01-25-2009, 01:28 PM
It was a wonderful time! Great company, great information, great food. The discus cake was to die for!!! I can say the same for Dave's fish!

Al drives like my grandmother.

Really, Ashay, bring a change of clothes next time!

mikel
01-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Al "drives like Martha's grandmother"????? I would never have guessed that!!! Hahahah!!!

mmorris
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
LOL Not really. :D I enjoyed meeting all of you and I look forward to the next one!

ashaysathe
01-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Oh Boy. what an amazing time. I have to give a complete account of the entire sequence of events to get the entire appreciation, feel, humor, luck whatever you choose to call it. But eventualy being a strong bond of friendship.

Patrick Richard and I started from his house in Hamden, CT in his huge Dodge RAM 1500 V8 pickup truck. I was all charged up for my first ride in an automobile of that kind. We started on the road talking discus, talking about our experiences, Patrick giving an account of his latest on-going fish room building project .. in short having a great time.
We went thru Providence and I-195 East bound GPS says ETA 12:52 pm for scheduled meeting time of 1 pm - on the money.

All of a sudden lull prevailed as Patrick noticed engine temp rising and the next moment heared a "roar" from the engine. We pulled over and Patrick looked under hood to see fluid all over the engine. He said the hose bursted and we cannot proceed. We called Al and Mark and said the car broke down and we cannot proceed. We will call back when we know more.

Now Patrick calls AAA. He gets a message for wait time of 12 mins. Finally got connected to the operator. She asks us where we are. Logical question. We say I-195 East bound in MA and can see exit 10 about 100 yards from us. She refused to accept this. She says give me the exact location. Oh come on lady (Remember Rambo - 46 deg North 56.5 deg South). She then says call 911, get the location from them and call us back. Yeah right..

So now I call, I get connected in 3 secs, talk to the operator and tell her exact same thing and she says "No problem, be safe in the car and we will send a tow truck in less than 30 mins" Nice..

Now we are in the truck, smiling, jocking, chatting around until we saw a car approching us at 90 miles an hr atleast, half in the pull over lane half in the rightmost lane. We were stunned.. about 100 feet from us the car pulled in the rightmost lane and zoomed passed us.. HELLLOOOO THERE IS A TRUCK HERE....

The tow truck comes over. There are already 2 people in the truck and so can take only one more. Patrick sat in the truck and for me began the adventure of the life time. The guy towed the truck with me inside the truck. COOOLLL.. Imagine.. I am in the RAM 1500 truck on top of a tow truck.. :bounce2: :bounce2: :drummer: :wave: I was calling everybody wife, friends, taking pictures.. a true adventure.

We were towed practically next door to the restaurant we were suppose to meet into Midas. This was something we did not expect to hear in our wildest imagination... "Water pump is down, there is no way this will be done till Monday" WHAAAT..

Now began calls and negotiations with wife.. man it was tough. Dave picked us up and we went to the restaurant. This was 2 pm Saturday. Al began his very informative talk and something a hobbyist should take time to understand but disease and medication is not easy. Its not purely as simple as disease A - treat with so and so etc etc.
But for me I was rewinding and replaying "my joyride" All I knew was when I need to medicate I am gonna call Al. No more no less.

In the mean time, Patrick and I went back and forth negotiating with wife. I could tell. But Al even without asking said he can give us a ride back home tomorrow as he and Mark were staying here for the night. He also made a great suggestion that Patrick should come with us home as there was nothing he could do till the truck is fixed with no gaurantee it was going to be fixed first thing Monday.

After lunch and wrapping our session at the restaurant, around 4.30 pm we checked in the hotel and went to Dave's house. Excellent collected of fish especially the Red Turks. Camera's weren't allowed and more so posting pictures on the forum was "strictly prohibited" .. so no pictures guys.. only kidding..
Dave and Celleste had made all the the top class arrangement at home with coffee, coctails, snacks, cake and amazing brownie's. Those were good. We called it a day at 9.30 pm (from Dave's house). It was nice meeting Jeff, Mikel and Fred. See you for the next meeting.

Al, Mark, Martha, Patrick and I went to "Texas Steak House" for dinner. The grilled items hit the spot after a great adventurous day. We checked in the hotel at around 11:45 pm. This was not it.. were watching "Outlaw Josey Wales" the old time western Clint Eastwood classic remember "I don't want to hear Wales dead, I want to see Wales dead :cowboy:" finally shutting off 1.30- 1:45 AM.

Time well spent, Time will not be forgotten and shall be remembered for a long time in my books.. "That was a Discus meeting"

We had a little breakfast at started at around 9:30 AM. Al dropped Mark, then we went to Patrick's house to see his fish and his in progress fish room (its too good cant wait to be up and running) to be home by 1 PM. After strick "QT procedures" I am here remembering my most recent past and enjoying every bit of it.

Thanks to Dave to have hosted this meeting, Many Thanks to Patrick for taking all of this in the right spirit and keeping he humor up, Thanks Al for the ride back home, Thanks Mark for the stomach bug at farewell (only kidding here. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery), Thanks Martha for the gr8 discus talks we had and I will always carry a backup with extra clothes now and Thank God for giving such a hobby to have made friends like these.. totally NICE. :thumbsup:

Al's presentation:

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/DSCN3398.jpg

Patrick's investigation:

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/DSCN3394.jpg

Ashay's "Joyride"

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/DSCN3395.jpg

ashaysathe
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
More.. Ride of a lifetime ..

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0030.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0031.jpg

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr194/ashaysathe/PIC-0032.jpg

subcooler
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Ashay,
Thanks for the detailed report on the meeting-Sounds the you enjoyed even the inconvenient parts of your day!
Good Friends/Good Fun/Discus-Does it get any better than this?

Sorry I missed the meeting-See you in the spring!
Peace,
Rob

Carolina discus
01-26-2009, 03:55 PM
All,
Looks like a great meeting!!! Dave, the pic of the exit brought back memories as I used to take that for college at SMU..now UMASS Dartmouth!!!!!!

Plese post more pics when they come available......

Regards,

eric

Ed13
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Cool Ashay! I enjoyed your detailed report as if I was there!

GrillMaster
01-26-2009, 11:10 PM
I would like to thank Dave for invitin us lot over to his place! Had a great time! Dave you have an awsome collection of Discus my friend! Celeste is a great baker as well...:thumbsup:

My hats off to Patrick and Ashay for making the best of a bad situation. You would have never known that they were stuck in Mass. overnight due to unforseen vehicle problems. Then again Ashay always has a grin on his face. :)

It was great meetin Mike, Fred and Martha. I hope to see alot more of ya this year with the up coming meetings as well.

Al, Patrick and Ashay...Sorry about the stomach bug! Hope you guys dodge that bullet!! Wasn't much fun. :(

Looking forward to spring everyone!! Cya soon... :D

patrick richard
01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I would like to say thank you to David first, for a wonderful and adventurist trip up to Mass. Al deserves a big thank you for his very informative presentation on discus medications. I am very lucky to live so close to Al. I know I can get some great advice from him in a pinch.

Well, as you al heard Ashay and myself had a few problems on the way up to the meeting. After driving all the way up to Mass, we got to about 10 miles from where the meeting was being held. this is when my truck started to heat up, and within seconds we were stuck on the side of the road. At first glance it looked like I blew a coolant hose, but that was not the case. My water pump was dead, and so was the truck. All I can say is thank god for some great new friends. these great people helped Ashay and myself have a great weekend, dispite all the bad luck We were having.

David, thank yo for inviting us to your home. You have some beautiful fish. keep up the good work. also tell Celest "THANK YOU" for the desserts.It was great to meet some new faces(Jeff, Mike,Fred, and Martha). Mark, great seeing you again as always. Till the next get together.

Well, I think you heard enough on this subject. I hope At our next get together, we have alot more new faces. happy discus keeping everyone.

Patrick

brewmaster15
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Tentatively , The next meeting will be back in CT at my house (New haven/hartford area) in the spring...then to a large summer get together at Marks in CT (on the RI state line area) and then down to Steve Colleys House (westport area...close drive from NewYork).. Details to follow.

Glad we had this get together at Davids, he's one classic discus Nut...Tanks fit into every nook and cranny in that apartment... I tried to convince him to lose some additional furniture and maybe add a few tanks in the middle of the living room...but I think he's maxed out there:)

Thanks again David, and also Celeste for the hospitality...You were both first rate hosts!:)

Take care,
al

Kenny's Discus
01-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I really enjoyed reading all of the participants' reports evening though I wasn't there...definitely seems like everyone had a great time together! I love AL's presentation part it must have been fun to hear the discus master lecture.:) I look forward to seeing the next one!

Kenny

dpt8
01-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Before this thread is put away I would once again like to thank EVERYONE !! Was a treat and honor to host this meeting. I got a chance to show my fish to people who really know and understand discus. Also show Al how much I love discus !! hehe

Patrick, you are one heck of a class act as Mark had said. You took every bit of hardship as one heck of a mature person who can really deal with adversity. I wish you better luck in the future with your truck. I didn't mention the troubles with your truck earlier because I knew Ashay is the better story teller, plus he had the show and tell pics !! :9) I hope everybody plus more people attend the next meeting.. Its hasn't been a week yet since that meeting and I miss the interaction already. Kenny, maybe you COULD come out here this Summer for Mark's huge get together.. Al, I can't wait until the Springtime meeting.. Thanks to all, David T

patrick richard
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Dave, I appreciate the kind words. You all were very helpful, and you made sure that Ashay and myself had a great time. Thanks to everyone that came, and hope to see a big turnout this summer at Marks house. Dave your fish were amazing. let us know how the cobalt spawn went.

Good luck with all the pairs.

See you again soon buddy.

Patrick