PDA

View Full Version : Clear intakes?

FLGirl1977
01-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Does anyone know where to find a clear intake online? I would love to replace my green eheim intake/outputs with something clear... Does this even exist? Or is there a reason why it doesn't? :confused: I would think with serious hobbyists that something like this would exist to be more asthetically pleasing...

Ed13
01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
ADA makes the cleanest, nicest intake and outputs. They call them Lily pipes if I remember correctly. They are made of glass and are expensive, but are so cool!. You can get them at ADG.
http://www.adgshop.com/Lily_Pipes_s/48.htm

Or you can try a DIY with clear PVC tubes and unions. Try Aquatic ecosystems or Jehmco. Fairly easy but is not 100% translucent

Acrylic tube DIY would be nice too;)

I'm unaware of any comercial aquarium clear intakes other than the Lily pipes, but I've been out of the market for some time...

FLGirl1977
01-04-2009, 11:11 AM
:oWow! Thanks so much! A little investment, but it will make a HUGE difference!

tcyiu
01-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Or is there a reason why it doesn't?

I am not suggesting this is a defnitive answer, but I would think that the algae growth inside the clear intakes would be quite unsightly.

I very much appreciate that the color of my Eheim intakes mask the color of the algae. So much so that when I do clean out the tubes (because water flow is so severely restricted, I am SHOCKED at how much growth I find.