PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

PitBullDog
01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

I still haven't bought my filter. I plan on growing out 6 young discus in a 55 gal.

I noticed that most people here only use sponge filters hooked to airpumps.

Is that the best way to go? Is that enough filtration? Should I also use an Aquaclear or is it not needed?

Thanks!

cturner
01-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I think most people use sponge filters because they are doing multiple daily water changes. For a show tank I'm sure most use canister filters maybe combined with an HOB like aquaclear. I think it all depends on your preference.

Triadtropz
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi All,

I still haven't bought my filter. I plan on growing out 6 young discus in a 55 gal.

I noticed that most people here only use sponge filters hooked to airpumps.

Is that the best way to go? Is that enough filtration? Should I also use an Aquaclear or is it not needed?

Thanks!

I have just 2 large hydro sponges in my 55...zero ammonia ,nitrates..

dpt8
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
JMO... I would use two sponge filters ( Hydro 5) PLUS an Aquaclear 70 hang-on filter for really crystal clear water in your 55 gl. Adds stability to tank and options for future use of Polypad and biomodules. I use double sponges in hang-on filter. If you need a hospital tank or quaranteen tank, you can use one of the sponge filters to start tank without taking away from the main tank. Also extra airation/movement of water through the hang-on aids fishs' breathing by airating the water really well. Experience and Al's mentoring talking here. David T

Harriett
01-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I like to use both--the aquaclear infuses a lot of oxygen into the water by breaking up the surface tension so the gas exchange can stay at a high level.
JMO
Harriett

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
When possible....a wet/dry style filter is the way to go.

-Ryan

Eddie
01-05-2009, 07:45 PM
All depends on your set-up. If you are growing them out in a BB, then a few hydro IV sponge filters are perfect. I am currently growing out a few youngins in display tank which has sand and driftwood so sponges are not appealing to the eye so I use 2 penguin 350 HOB filters.

Eddie

kenhappen2u
01-05-2009, 08:00 PM
i am useing a small 75 gal wet/dry filter on my 55 gal and a 65 gal HOB filter , keeps the tank very clear and good water conditions . the nice thing about wet dry's are you only need to rinse out the filter pad and your done .

Ken

Eddie
01-05-2009, 08:08 PM
i am useing a small 75 gal wet/dry filter on my 55 gal and a 65 gal HOB filter , keeps the tank very clear and good water conditions . the nice thing about wet dry's are you only need to rinse out the filter pad and your done .

Ken

Hmm...might look into it. My 350s need to be broken down weekly with the amount of feedings I am doing, 10-12 times a day. I also do 90% WCs daily!

Eddie

PitBullDog
01-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for all the help! I'll run both :) aquaclear and sponge.

Seems to be a safe road to travel.

Cheers.