PDA

View Full Version : Moving Discus to New Tanks

CammieTime
01-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I currently have one discus tank and I am going to start up a new one. I want to put my current discus into the new tank and buy new ones to go into the old tank, my current discus would look super cool in the new tank.

My question is this: How well do discus do when moved to new tanks? Do they adjust well?

The discus I have currently took a while to get used to their surroundings and tank, and I don't want them to go cukoo bird if I move them. Everybody is finally in balance.

So, should I move the discus I have into the new tank and put the new discus in the old tank, or should I leave my current discus where they are and put the new discus in the new tank?

Joshcat
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
I can't speak for others, but my husband and I have had very good luck transitioning our discus from one tank to another. Make sure the tank they are going into is completely cycled, and the other thing we do is make sure all parameters are the same, temp and ph especially.

When we have had fish shipped to us, it has taken 2 to 3 weeks at times for them to acclimate. But just moving them from one tank into another, generally they are back to their normal selves within 2 hours max.

I have read that others have had problems with this before, maybe it has something to do with strain. All of ours are domestics, but of various strains and I can honestly say "0" problems in doing this.

Good Luck, Cathy

TankWatcher
01-05-2009, 11:12 PM
A new tank - exciting. Have fun with that. Did it myself around Sept of last year, when my discus moved from 43G to 138G.

I've moved my discus around from time to time, due to tank upgrade, or because they have finished QT & it's time to go to their permanent home. Make sure the tank is well cycled. If you did a fishless cycle, I think you can pretty much transfer your whole stock at once (though I haven't done it before - intend trying it soon though). If, however, you did the old way by cycling with some hardy fish, then I think it's best it's best to move 2-3 at the same time, as discus don't like to be alone. Wait a few days & if your water tests prove the tank has handled the increased bio load, transfer 2-3 more. Don't leave a discus by itself in either the new or the old tank, as it might stress.

Immediatly before the move, I would do a 50% wc on the new tank & fill it up with water from the old tank.

Then, I would do the slow drip method of acclimatisation. Put the discus in a bucket with water from their existing tank. If it's cold where you are, consider adding a small heater to the bucket. Have an air line drawing water from the new tank, in a slow drip/stream into the bucket. Control the flow by having a knot in the airline. I usually allow the bucket to fill one & 1/2 to two times. Then add the discus to the tank (minus the water in the bucket).

Doing it this way, I'd have to say my discus have never stressed over the move. Well, they probably stress when being caught initially, & maybe while in the bucket (but my bucket is dark & I put cover over the bucket too, so they are in darkness during the drip acclimitisation - which is meant to help). They can at least swim around in the bucket just a little, which is hard in a plastic bag. Of course, lights off in the new tank once they enter.

Have fun with the new tank

Eddie
01-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I just fill a tank, make sure its the same temp as the existing tank, move a cycled filter over, net up my discus and drop them into the new tank. Eating immediately. I am always moving my existing fish around.

My PH doesn't change really since I do close to 100% WCs daily. Its just like doing a WC for them except the tank is a different color. ;)

Eddie

TankWatcher
01-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Probably right Eddie, but I'm usually a very cautious bod when it comes to my discus (despite my recent silly mistake with PP & Formalin)

Eddie
01-06-2009, 05:03 AM
Probably right Eddie, but I'm usually a very cautious bod when it comes to my discus (despite my recent stupidity with PP & Formalin)

Robyn, I don't call that ______. I call it an honest mistake just like mine. There are so many of us that have made mistakes in keeping discus and it probably won't be the last time. Hopefully the next time it just won't be something as severe. You were trying to do something good for your fish, thats all that matters.

Eddie

TankWatcher
01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks Eddie. I softened the comment a bit.

Eddie
01-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks Eddie. I softened the comment a bit.

;)

moik
01-06-2009, 12:02 PM
You can not baby your fish,but you sure can not be stupid also with them. Just think if you did a 90%-100% water change in your tank with the same fish.. Temperature is one of the biggest keys to watch.You got some very good advice from previous post.