PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

a7xsynx42
01-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey, I was wondering how many Discus I could get in my 50gal tank (48 x 12.5 x 18) without doing an insane amount of water changes? I was thinking 3 with a few tankmates and a good bit of Decor. But online says I should get more than that. Also, I've heard mixed reviews of keeping Dwarf (Flame and Neon Blue) Gouramis with them. What do you guys think? And finally, I know most people like to keep them in either BB or heavily planted tanks but I was thinking of making a false reef tank with Discus. Has anyone done or seen that before? :confused:

Eddie
01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey, I was wondering how many Discus I could get in my 50gal tank (48 x 12.5 x 18) without doing an insane amount of water changes? I was thinking 3 with a few tankmates and a good bit of Decor. But online says I should get more than that. Also, I've heard mixed reviews of keeping Dwarf (Flame and Neon Blue) Gouramis with them. What do you guys think? And finally, I know most people like to keep them in either BB or heavily planted tanks but I was thinking of making a false reef tank with Discus. Has anyone done or seen that before? :confused:

It depends on what size Discus you want. If you want to get full grown discus, you won't have to do insane WCs because you won't be feeding them like crazy. Although discus do better in groups of 5-6, I think 3 full grown discus would work well for you. Adult discus will be easier for you to keep. ;)

However you want to set-up your tank is up to you. Goodluck and read up on discus diet.

Eddie

a7xsynx42
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I wanted to start off with younger ones but I heard they are a lot harder to keep alive (or should I say "pickier" about their water conditions). So, I'm just going to spend the extra money and get adult ones.

Eddie
01-06-2009, 08:42 PM
I wanted to start off with younger ones but I heard they are a lot harder to keep alive (or should I say "pickier" about their water conditions). So, I'm just going to spend the extra money and get adult ones.

The larger adult discus are more forgiving in a sense. Not as much feeding and the water changes don't need to be as often. With younger ones, you really need to spend the time to grow them out properly or they will not develop correctly and be stunted.

Eddie

mmorris
01-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't recommend fewer than six discus. Firstly, discus like a group for security. Secondly, you need the numbers to spread the aggression around. You might find that with three, one will get the short end of the stick. An exception, of course, is breeding pairs.