PDA

View Full Version : [B]Help! What meds to use for quarentine? Soft to hard water?[/B]

Francis
01-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Help! What meds to use for quarentine? Soft to hard water?
New to discus. Do you use meds routinely when get new discus in quarentine? or use meds when notice problems? Do I treat the tank I plan to put new discus in as well apart from in the quarentine? I worry that the existing fish may carry some paraside that they already used to, which the new fish may be sensitive to.
Another question. How long does it take for fish bred and grow in soft water to be able to adapt to hard water (not too hard in my tap)? Days or weeks? Just increase the percentage of the tap water slowly? or never?

Many thanks
Francis

Eddie
01-10-2009, 07:33 AM
It's kind of hard to understand what you are asking. I get that you either just purchased and or are going to purchase some Discus that will go into a Quarantine Tank. You currently have some fish, maybe discus, that you feel could possibly have something that will affect the new discus.

Everyone does things different but I would just keep you fish in QT without medicating because you have no idea what you are treating. The QT period is a time to monitor the new fish for any signs of disease or illness. If something were to arise, you can research the symptoms and somebody can help you. The amount of time you keep your fish in QT period is up to you but common practice is about 6 weeks.

The hard water soft water thing is nothing to fret about. It's as simple as acclimating new fish. If they were extremely soft water and you are going to extremely hard or alkaline water, you just acclimate for a longer period of time. It's all good, take your time.

Eddie

Don Trinko
01-10-2009, 01:34 PM
For QT meds are not required unless you see some sighn of disease. Some do use metro and/or prazi to "deworm" but IMO ot is not neccisary if they are not sick. Don T.

Francis
01-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank you both for your help.
I have a heavily planted 48x18x15" tank with healthy plants growth. Received 4 free stunted 3"-4" discus and soon most of them developed white feaces problems (I do not know it at the time), no treatment given. 3 weeks later received another 4 similiar stunt discus and added in the same tank. Then treatment battles started. Most of them became "paper thin" after 2 months and still not keen to eat. I was wondering whether they can grow to normal shape again. Probably I left the treatment too late.
That is why I want to offer some preventative treatment next time. My community tank(2 rainbows, few neon tetra , few guppies) may cause some problem or the new discus' existing parasite florished when fish was stressed.
How long does it take to acclimitize discus from very soft water to hard water(hopefuly the plants clear the water in some way)? Any detailed information?::juggle:
Thank you in advance.
Francis

mikel
01-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Yes the fish you have is probably a lost cause. Good learning process. Your planted tank is not all that efficient at growing out young discus. So if you want the beauty of plants in the tank with a substrate, then I would suggest you buy fully grown adult discus to go with it. Of course, you should learn as much as you can about food, water and even simple treatement so that you can keep your future adults in better shape. You dont want to lose expensive adult fish due to ignorance and/or sub-standard water maintenance.

If you want to grow out your future juvanile fish properly to their full size, you need to carry out a good feeding regiment, which means a dirty water environment unless you can do frequent water change. Having plants and substrate do not help in maintaining a clean tank for the juvie to grow out. So you will have to go bare bottom for them to grow out. You can always convert back to a planted tank when you have successfully grown out your young discus.

Your current discus, I think, cannot be saved in terms of growth and size. But they can still be fine aquarium inhabitants to your tank if you dont mind their stunted physical stature. mike

Don Trinko
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry to say that once they get thin I have had no luck. Even if I cure them of whatever they had they seem to get sick easily and eventualy die. I have kept fish like this alive for over a year but they were always picky eaters,did not grow much , and were sick off and on.
The clear poo is not good. Typicaly it is some type of internal parasite or bacteria. A microscope ( and a knowledgable fish keeper, not me) would help diagnose the problem but many ( myself included ) guess and medicate.
Some medications are very hard on the fish and may kill a weak fish. Graham is one of the best I know of for fish diseases.
Many treat with Metro and Prazi. Both are easy on the fish and reasonably safe. Between the two they will kill many but not all internal prasites. All of this IMO. Don T.

Francis
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Don and mikel. I will keep trying and learning.
Francis