PDA

View Full Version : Kinda new.

Kratz
01-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello everyone. I'm a new member. I've had much success in raising and breeding African Cichlids, but now I'm wanting to go try angelfish, and eventually discus.

My first questions are about water. Where I live (Ky) the water is very hard, and very alkaline. PH is usually in the 9 range.

Has anyone had any kind of luck with water such as this, or should I be starting to think about an RO unit?

If anyone can recommend any good books, or simply want to pass on some advice, it would all be welcomed.

DiscussDiscus
01-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Kratz,

There are plenty of great books around, but as a newbie myself, I'd suggest just picking where you want to start and reading all the stickied posts in these forums.

I.E water works.

As for your water, discus can be kept in a wide variety of water types from what I've read. I haven't kept mine above 7.4, but I've heard many people keeping it in the 8's. The importance is consistency, so make sure your water parameters aren't swinging much over time.

Get some water out of your tap and aerate it pretty strongly for a couple days then check the pH and hardness again. If its stable, I think you'd be in pretty good shape.

I'm sure some of the more senior guys will weigh in on the specifics soon :)

Regards,
Lee

Roxanne
01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Welcome to Simply! You don't need any books really cos you found Simply;) I got to say you are really preparing yourself well by learning first about discus before you purchase anything. You will be one of the few, unlike myself who actually don't waste a bunch of money on 'snake oils' as Graham calls them, or bad/sick fish.

Any of Graham's posts on water are excellent reading, Paul (psbc23) is great with the meds, and I strongly recommend the Simply Discus Library for getting a basic knowledge of what Discus's's's' needs are, then you can rapid fire questions at the pro's for the one on one feedback...and like Lee said, the stickies are great too..

Happy Reading!!:)

Roxanne

Porkchop
01-13-2009, 12:18 AM
I say skip the Angel's and go straight into the Discus...you can thank me later! ;)

As long as you are willing to put the time into it, you'll be fine!

Anthony

Darren's Discus
01-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Kratz,
Good things come to those who wait ?Thats what my mom told me and i'm still waiting !:D Seriously learn as much as possible read as much as possible and i recommend Andrew Soh's "discus the naked truth" Enjoy your discus when you get them and welcome to simply.

cheers