PDA

View Full Version : PH Shock

robby d
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
I am new to discus but have other tanks.I changed the water in my new tank a few times without assuring the ph was similar. The water put in was about 8 and the tank is about 7.5. I thought this was a chlorine problem for a while as discussed on another thread but am now thinking it was the ph. Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of ph shock are and whether any permanent damage to the fish is likely to have occured. The fish look fine (see pic) but spent some time at the top gasping for air on a couple of occasions and still seem to be breathing heavily (2-3 breaths per second may be). Thanks in advance.

Eddie
01-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I don't think its PH shock unless the parameters of the water changed in 1 second, like netting the fish from one PH to another. Obviously you fill your tank and it takes time. To tell you the truth, your fish looks fine.

Maybe a little slow on the growth scale but nothing that alot of food and water can't fix.

Eddie

bs6749
01-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Have you checked your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels? If so, what are they? You did treat the new water for chlorine/chloramines didn't you?

Graham
01-12-2009, 10:54 PM
That's not enough of a drop to have any affect at all....Water coming out of a tap has lower O2 levels this may have affected them