PDA

View Full Version : New Planted Setup

johnlfc
01-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post on the forum and I am new to Discus keeping having decided to close down my saltwater system due to rising running costs.

I have been reading a forum in the UK trying to build some ideas on how I can use my current setup and convert over to discus however I have had little response so thankfully I have found this site.

I currently have a display tank of 80" x 20" x 24" with 2 x sump tanks 1 @ 36"x 15" x 18" which has no baffles fitted but does have a weir fitted and flows into my 48" x 15" x 18" which is fitted with baffles and the return pumps to my display.

My thoughts are:
My display has 2 weirs fitted at each end. I would have 1 overflow feeding my 3ft tank that I inted to keep bare bottom and use as extra volume for my system and also if feasible to seperate a breeding pair should one establish in my system. This tank will then overflow (as it is raised above the other) into my 4ft tank that I intend to use as a filter sump.

The 4ft tank will be fitted with bio balls and ceramic tubes with sponge and floss above. I can also add carbon here should it be required.
I will also place heaters and air stones in here.
The other overflow in my display tank plus my overflow from the 3ft tank will both feed into here and run through my filters before being returned by 2 x return pumps.

I have not decided what strength of return pumps I will require or type of outlet in the display to create the type of flow required.

Can anyone advise whether my plans sound realistic or could I make better use of the setup I have.

I will be adding another tank alongside my 2 x sumps to carry out water changes.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers
John :)

DiscussDiscus
01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi John,

Sounds like a pretty complex setup but I think I follow you. I've got a 110 gallon planted discus tank with a 30 gallon sump that houses all the heaters/airstones/filters that I don't like seeing inside the tank itself..

But you are trying to do quite a few things at once so I'll try to touch on them briefly. I'm not a pro, but I'll give you some of the tips I've heard some of the pro's on these forums echo, and maybe you'll be able to build upon that when they respond as well!

The first thing I'd ask is what type of discus you plan on keeping in your tanks. If you plan on jumping straight to adults, it should work ok, and based on the fact that you want to have a planted tank, that might be ideal for you to have adults.

Adults are a little less picky (although still picky!) about their water conditions, and since it is hard to get a completely clean tank when there are plants and substrate and logs involved, a bare bottom tank would be best for juveniles.

Based on your setup, if you were to get young juveniles, depending on the number of them, you may be able to put them in the overflow tank you discussed for a future breeding pair. That way they can get the cleaning they need until they're ready to join your show tank with the plants....

A couple things I do know about discus, since you mentioned flow: They don't like a ton of it. If you have tons of powerheads from your marine setup, chances are you will use very few of them here. Discus are very slow graceful swimmers, and don't like too much commotion.

I'd suggest enough flow to cycle the big tank over a few times an hour, but on the return I'd try to get a long spray bar to cut down the power of the return. The spray bar will also make it less obstructive to your plants.

You'll also want to change over your bulb temperatures from your marine setup. While you probably had actinics and 10-20k lights before, you're going to want 6500's for plant growth, and maybe a 10k or two to give the tank a nice appearance.

I've found Actinics and blue LED's can really make discus look nice as well, but its in the eye of the beholder really. Actinics should not be considered as light for plant growth.

--

As for your water changes, it sounds to me like you'd have a total water volume of around 250+ gallons, is that correct?

This will be great to help keep your water parameters very constant, but just make sure you have enough equipment and the setup to do some monstrous water changes if necessary. I have the equipment to bang out a 90% water change in a little over an hour if necessary, although I stick to about 30% on a light-bio-load planted tank. every other day.

Oh one other thing I just thought of, because I know it was annoying to me. If you need to treat a fish or fishes, you'll need to be able to raise the heat on them into the low 90's on the high end. I'd suggest having a separate tank somewhere for hospitalization / quarantine that does not share water with your main (at least not in a two-way fashion) as that will enable you to avoid raising heat on all those gallons! (not to mention your plants will melt at those higher temps..)

hope this helps,
Lee

GrillMaster
01-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Hey John, Welcome to "SD"! :)

I am trying to picture exactly what your trying to ask here. Maybe its to early in the morning for me and I haven't finished my first cup a coffee yet. :(

It sounds as if you have about a 150G tank with a 3 ft tank your going to use as a tank to put other fish in and your 4 ft tank will be a sump.

The title eludes to you wanting to set up a planted tank. Now I can write a book here for all the variables on the planted tank side of things. I can also write a lengthy response to the Discus side of the equation.

Seeing that you are converting from a reef setup to a planted discus setup and are new to both, you might want to research a little from both sides of the fence before making a decision on how to set up your tanks. :)

There is a ton of info here and on BIDKA about your inquiry. You just need to do a little research. Then you can make an educated decision on what you would like to do.

johnlfc
01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Lee / Mark,

Thanks very much for the replies :) really appreciated.

To give a little more info on what I am trying to achieve.

I will be using this forum and have done since I first found it to trail through all the information available to make the best decisions possible.

I will be originally setting the tank up as a planted set up with cardinals and some form of freshwater clean up crew of shrimps and a plec or 2?

Once I have this established, mature and stable which I expect to take 6 months or so. I will then be looking to add adult discus.
I was thinking somewhere in the region of 12 discus of 2 differing strains (6 each).

I am at the moment trying to get some feedback on how best to use what I have tank wise rather than purchasing anything new.

I have my dispaly tank which is fitted with 2 seperate weirs that flow into 2 tanks beneath.
One of 3ft and one of 4ft which are both connected together (3ft overflows into the 4ft) and returned from the 4ft to display.

From the replies I have I am thinking it may be best to take the 3ft out of the loop and return all water to the 4ft filter sump and use the 3ft to perform water changes.
I know this will reduce my system volume but would allow me to perform 40US gallon water changes on a 180us gallon system which runs at somewhere near 20% change.

Would the 180us gallon system support the number of adults I would like to add?

Again thanks for all help
John

GrillMaster
01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me.

You dont have to take out the 3 ft tank although it isn't doing anything but catching water from the overflow. Seems like a waste of a tank. You can just as easily get a large 45-55G trash can to age water for WC's. They are cheap.

If you can afford it, get 16 Discus...:D