PDA

View Full Version : Alenquers

discusrookie
01-14-2009, 03:28 AM
I see the term Alenquers quite frequently, but am not sure what this refers to. Can some of you enlighten me?? thanx, Steve

Eddie
01-14-2009, 05:04 AM
I see the term Alenquers quite frequently, but am not sure what this refers to. Can some of you enlighten me?? thanx, Steve

I am pretty sure thats the region where a specific color of wild discus comes from. I'd have to check on that though.

Yes I am correct

Eddie

bs6749
01-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Here's a couple pics of my female Alenquer. Colors can vary but I believe she's a good example of what an Alenquer is. She is the red/orange fish in the pics.

She's pretty dark in those pics because she just laid eggs. I tried uploading pics of what she normally looks like but they were too large. Go to http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/bs6749/Discus%20Pair/ to see more pics:

brewmaster15
01-14-2009, 09:17 AM
More Alenquers here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59962

hth,
al

Triadtropz
01-14-2009, 09:41 AM
More Alenquers here...

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59962

hth,
al

nice albinos brewmaster...do you still have them?..have they ever bred?..beautiful fish.

Eddie
01-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Oh man Al, I wasn't around when you started that thread. That group is amazing! Super growth and perfect shape. Phenomenal!

Eddie

Triadtropz
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Oh man Al, I wasn't around when you started that thread. That group is amazing! Super growth and perfect shape. Phenomenal!

Eddie

off topic, but i notice your from japan basshead. whats the availability of discus like there?..do you get all the malaysian and thai fish?..

William Palumbo
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
That's a nice pair bs...nice female...but she looks more like a Rose-Red than Alenquer. She looks like the group I have spawning now. Alenquers usually have some striping on it. Al...those are some sweet...classic Discus...which can hold their own against any of the new crosses out there...Bill

Eddie
01-14-2009, 10:02 AM
off topic, but i notice your from japan basshead. whats the availability of discus like there?..do you get all the malaysian and thai fish?..

Triadtropz,

The availability is slim to none, real poor quality hybrids but insanely gorgeous wilds. The issue is the price. They want 600.00 dollars for one blue discus at 6". No way, no how. And this is just Okinawa. Mainland its even worse. 2000.00 for 3" wild discus. It's no joke for wilds here.

As far as getting fish from Malaysia or Thailand. I'm working on that, more to come :D

Eddie

bs6749
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
That's a nice pair bs...nice female...but she looks more like a Rose-Red than Alenquer. She looks like the group I have spawning now. Alenquers usually have some striping on it. Al...those are some sweet...classic Discus...which can hold their own against any of the new crosses out there...Bill

Hey Bill, I've actually wondered about that myself. I bought her from a guy back in May of 2008 and he said "She's an Alenquer" and "She looks like a female but she hasn't bred for me yet". He's turned out to be right on the sex of all of the fish that I asked him about and seems pretty knowledgeable. I'm not saying that you are wrong, rather I'm wondering where the striping is on her! I assume that you are talking about the irridescent blue striping that is very noticeable on those nice fish that Al posted! There is only a small amount of blue "speckles" near near her mouth and on her face. Also, aren't rose reds a PB strain? Mine clearly has bars, which is why I'm wondering you said that. Mine is rather orange/brown too and not red like the rose reds I've seen.

ShinShin
01-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I 2nd Bill's suggestion as to the strain.

Mat

bs6749
01-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Okay, I forgot it's Wednesday! That might not mean a whole lot you the rest of you but my pair lays on Wednesday :) I just took some more pics and posted them. Please go here for better pics: http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/bs6749/Discus%20Pair/

Sorry for stealing the thread! I guess mine isn't an Alenquer after all. I'd like to know for certain though and maybe the newer pics provide better info. I did see one pic of a rose red that mine looked similar too though.

William Palumbo
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Whatever she is bs...she is a gorgeous fish for sure. Great shape and proportions like a QUALITY Discus should be. I know what you're saying about the PB. Not sure if it has any in it, or if they ever did, was it bred out. I know I have seen fish like your and mine called San merahs...but I think the "true" san merah is a fish with no vertical bars....and our fish...tho very nice are throwbacks from that strain. I myself like the vertical barring. I do have a pair now with wigglers and she is dark like yours....something usually a PB based fish can't do...Bill

Moon
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Isn't an Alenquer essentially a brown discus with a little more red?

ltgoof
01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I have exactly the same strain as yours bs, but it isn't Alenquer. It is Rose Red.

Female
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/arxen/discus%20spawning/SDC10885.jpg

Male
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp113/arxen/discus%20spawning/SDC10877.jpg

Don Trinko
01-14-2009, 02:05 PM
yes ; Alequers are basicly a brown discus from a specific section of the Amazon region. The ones you buy are not wilds but decendents of wild alenquers from that region of the Amazon. Some of us oldtimers like them because they look look the discus we had years ago. Don t.

krazykat
01-14-2009, 02:06 PM
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l272/bs6749/Discus%20Pair/ to see more pics:[/QUOTE]

I thought having the heater on horizontally is supposed to deter discus from laying eggs n them? Did anyone tell that to this pair? :D

Ooops! Wrong picture(s)! See discus pair, post #3.

William Palumbo
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
These are "Super" Rose Reds from Jeffrey Yang thru Mike Beals,(CODiscus) and are a bit more deeper red than my other Rose Reds or Sans...The nice thing about these fish is sexing is fairly easy as the female gets more redder than the male...Bill

bs6749
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Bill and Mat. I trust you guys and the information you gave. I've actually wondered about whether or not she was in fact an Alenquer for some time but didn't really look into it because it didn't matter that much to me. I know she is a beautiful fish (to me at least) and whatever strain she is or isn't doesn't change my opinion.

She does look very much like yours Bill. She gets the irridescent blue ring on her fins one day prior to spawning. I came back from a trip two weeks ago and was expecting to come home to see eggs. She was showing her colors so that made me check for eggs. There weren't any on the intake tube and I said to myself "what is she doing showing her breeding colors"? Three hours later there were eggs on the intake tube LOL.

It's funny about the whole rose red thing because the rose reds I've seen looked more like uncolored San Merahs and I thought they were pretty unattractive fish. If I had known that they'd eventually color up like mine I'd have purchased 6 many months ago! I actually thought that mine could have been a San Merah when contemplating whether or not it was an Alenquer and find if funny that you mention it may be similar. I wish there was some way to know for certain, but I think you are right that it's a rose red. At least that's what I'll call her from now on. Well, her strain will be referred to as a rose red but I think I shall call her Wednesday seeing as how she likes to get busy on Wednesdays!

Mr Wild
01-14-2009, 07:16 PM
I wish you were is Australia I would have some of her littlies anytime! She is a beauty!

dpt8
01-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Bill, I love alenquers and have a few of Al's beauties but I also love those Super red San merahs.. David

William Palumbo
01-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi David...I would like to get some Alenquers again. Those ones from Al are sweet and represent the strain well. I had a group of six before...but never turned into good breeders, and having limited tank space I had to move them out for other fish. I guess what I like about the Alenquers and San Merahs...Rose reds...is that they are VERY round...and have a somewhat "wild" look to them...and have a natural looking drrp red to them...Bill

dpt8
01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Yup... you are so right Bill. Your Big Reds are round and beautiful !! I only have 11 tanks.. Wish I had room for a ton more !! David T

Moon
01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
yes ; Alequers are basicly a brown discus from a specific section of the Amazon region. The ones you buy are not wilds but decendents of wild alenquers from that region of the Amazon. Some of us oldtimers like them because they look look the discus we had years ago. Don t.

I am one of those Don.
Joe

moik
01-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Those super rose reds are perfect. Not real crazy asbout red fish ,but I really like those. Very nice I can not stop looking at those super rose reds.

brewmaster15
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks Bill,
Hopefully my grow outs from that group of fry will pair up soon..I have a group of 13 from the contest fish ina 125g..I also have 6 of the albino siblings in 75 gal.... The wild types are some of my favorites!:)

-al

Patr1ck
01-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Check out this thread, it cleared it up for me.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=67786

P