PDA

View Full Version : Sponge filter's for 80 gal.

01-15-2009, 07:17 AM
To All,
I have used emperor filters for a very long time, and I am considering sponge filter or filters for 80 gal tank with discus which is currently filtered with two emperor 400,s with ceramic for additional biological filtering. I have no complaints with the emperor filters and use five of them on different tanks . What I would like to do is clean up the appearance without sacrificing what has been working well.
80 gal. with five discus, Ten threadfin rainbows,six julii corydoras,and one whitespot pleco. I have looked at the sponge filters but I am unclear as to what specific benefit I could realize over what I have now aesthetics aside. Would appreciate what others using sponge filters views are. Thanks in advance. PS have looked at HydroV rated for 120 gal. Would two be sufficient for 80 gal?
thanks in advance! Leland. (1077)

Eddie
01-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey there Leland,

Are you thinking of removing the emperors completely or just supplement with a sponge filter?

Eddie

01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
I was thinking of removing all media from the emperors and only using them for water circulation with the sponges serving as bio- filters. Prolly only use one Emperor for circulation.

Eddie
01-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Not to sound like an idiot but what is wrong with just keeping the media in the emperor and adding a sponge filter :confused:

Basically why rid of the media if you are gonna run the emperor for circulation anyways?

Sorry for the q's

01-15-2009, 08:57 AM
I fear it is MY ignorance regarding sponge filters that is in question:(If I could get sufficient filtration without the Emperors via a couple sponges that would be desireable. Am not sure if that is even viable. The two emperors have served this tank well. Just exploring cheaper alternatives other than canister to remove clutter from top of tank yet get sufficient filtration. Does that make sense? If two large sponge filters would serve to accomplish this ,then I would be pleased.

kirkp
01-15-2009, 09:09 AM
You'd have to double check this but I believe 2 hydro 5 sponge filters would have sufficient biological capacity to handle your tank.

Kirk

01-15-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for reply's thus far. I will keep researching and appreciate all who respond. My aim is to do away with the two Emperors on this particular tank and use a couple sponges,one at each end in hopes of them providing proper filtration. I understand completely in regards to their biological capabilities but harbor some aprehension,, In regards to proper circulation so as not to have dead zones.Please keep responses coming, Measured opinions are the order of the day! Again,, Many thanks in advance!
Leland,(1077)

Eddie
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Hiya Leland,

The 2 hydro V's would definitely be enough. Is your tank BB or sand/substrate? The only negative to using sponges in a sand tank is the sand gets all into the sponge. You can wring it out like crazy and still have sand in it. Otherwise, if you have a BB tank, the sponges will be perfect.

Eddie

01-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Tank has one inch of fine gravel. Would air pump with stone be sufficient,or,, would power head produce better results?

Eddie
01-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Tank has one inch of fine gravel. Would air pump with stone be sufficient,or,, would power head produce better results?

I've tried both and felt the airstone worked best. It just seemed like a pain with a power head, having to clean it and wipe it down. Also, hydros have a connection direct for the airline but I don't use it. I used some airstones and just fed the airline tube through the top grid of the Sponge filter. I find it to be less noisy and better flow. The airstone is a very nice bubble stream where as the direct connection creates large, not so nice bubbles. Just my opinion

Eddie

01-15-2009, 10:54 AM
It occured to me that last post might have been confusing, I meant to inquire as to whether an air stone or powerhead would be more or less productive in use with the sponge filter.

01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Eddie,and kirkp ,Thanks for sharing your views . I have ordered the two hydro's and eagerly await their arrival. I have spool of airline tubing and several pumps. Will wait on sponges to see what size airstones will be needed. Given the frequent water changes and the sponges abilities, I hope to do away with the emperors.

kirkp
01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Good luck although I don't think you'll need it. I run my sponges with just air and don't even use a airstone.

Kirk

Eddie
01-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Eddie,and kirkp ,Thanks for sharing your views . I have ordered the two hydro's and eagerly await their arrival. I have spool of airline tubing and several pumps. Will wait on sponges to see what size airstones will be needed. Given the frequent water changes and the sponges abilities, I hope to do away with the emperors.

No Problem Leland, and as Kirk mentioned you don't need to use airstones but I just like the look and less noise.

Take care,

Eddie

01-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Am wondering if length of lift tube on sponge filters has affect on performance. Would like to shorten the length so that it is below water level during water changes but not at the cost of performance. 80 gal tank with two HydroV sponge filters. Thanks in advance. Lee.