PDA

View Full Version : SunSun canister filter

cyberhog05
01-16-2009, 03:20 AM
I did a search and didnt see anything on these ebay SunSun canister filters on here. I figured for 80 bucks what the heck will I get? So heres my take.

This is no Eheim! It is simply a budget canister filter. I opened the box looked at this thing over very closely. I do have to say that initially I am very impressed. The main body is made out of a good sturdy plastic and all of the fittings seem to be good and sturdy. And to my surprise the hand pump actually worked quite well to prime this thing for action. That is once I got the intake and exit correctly on!! It does not have the integrated UV sterilizer in it like the others of this kind. I wanted the most GPH I could get. I am quite sure that they are not as efficient as the specs state. And having a 30" tall tank I knew I would loose a TON of efficiency. It came with filter pads for each level of filtration, no other filter media. I replaced 3 levels with some Bio Balls. It runs incredibly quiet. I mean almost zero noise! Which to me is very important.

I am however concerned on replacement parts down the road. Filter pads are no biggie, I have scissors I will make my own. But impellers etc I am not sure about. But they have to available somewhere. Then again I know an impeller for a Magnum 350 is almost 30 bucks. So maybe an entire filter as a spare is not that bad of a deal dollar for dollar.

Bottom line....I would recommend one to a friend. For the money it seems to be a decent unit. But only time will tell:D

So here is a link to the listing I purchased from. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AQUARIUM-FISH-TANK-CANISTER-OUTSIDE-FILTER-UP-250GA_W0QQitemZ270330595946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item270330595946&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Eddie
01-16-2009, 03:49 AM
yup, saw those too. they are very similar to the marineland c-series. I am sure you can use those impellers if it does ever need a new one.

Eddie

triton
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Sunsun is a decent brand in China.
It's not as good as eheim and fluval, but the quality is good enough!

mjs020294
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
BUMP

Wondered if the filter is still running. I picked one up and its working great. The parts and plastic is decent quality, and I presume the internal workings of the motor are OK.

smiley
03-21-2010, 03:48 PM
BUMP

Wondered if the filter is still running. I picked one up and its working great. The parts and plastic is decent quality, and I presume the internal workings of the motor are OK.

I have been using a sun sun canister in one of my 50 G tanks for the past 1 year...didnt have any leak or other issues as of date ... holds good amount of media as well...though the model i have promotes an in built UV light..not sure if it really does its work

mjs020294
03-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I have been using a sun sun canister in one of my 50 G tanks for the past 1 year...didnt have any leak or other issues as of date ... holds good amount of media as well...though the model i have promotes an in built UV light..not sure if it really does its work

Mine has a 9w UV light, which is under powered for the volume of water. If it just prevents algae blooms I'll be happy.

waters10
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
yup, saw those too. they are very similar to the marineland c-series. I am sure you can use those impellers if it does ever need a new one.

Eddie
There were some people on other forums suggesting they are exactly the same!

The models with UV built in, looks a lot like these ones (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3580+19310&pcatid=19310).

I've been wanting to switch to canister for a while and I might give this a shot.

There's a lot more reviews/info on plantedtank.net! Worth a read.

NunoDinis
04-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Hi,

In my 55G tank i have a fluval 205 and a sunsun 302, the sunsun has more than a year and it works fine. It's not an Eheim or a Fluval, but it does what its got to do.

Inside i have 7 Discus, 3 Adults, 2 juvis(3") and 2 babys(2"), the only problem i had with the water were nitrates, but it had to do with the tap water.

Know its everything fine.
I would recomend it.

waters10
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
It's not an Eheim or a Fluval, but it does what its got to do.
Considering I never got an Eheim or Fluval (or canister for that matter), what do you mean exactly? Lack of features? Build quality?

thanks

cyberhog05
04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I look at it this way. If I can save a 2-300bux on a filter that does exactly the same thing as the Eheim I am gonna save that money! I gambled on this filter and it has paid off well. My life and finances dont revolve around a rectangle of h2o in my living room...It revolves around my Audi and my family:D.

waters10
04-07-2010, 05:10 PM
I look at it this way. If I can save a 2-300bux on a filter that does exactly the same thing as the Eheim I am gonna save that money! I gambled on this filter and it has paid off well. My life and finances dont revolve around a rectangle of h2o in my living room...It revolves around my Audi and my family:D.
Well, yeah. If it does exactly the same thing, it's a no-brainer. But when I read it's not an eheim/fluval, I take it there's some kind of trade off. It would be good to know that, because if it's just some features, I'd be fine as long as it does the main job. But if it's build quality, a leaky filter could mean disaster.

Bilbo_wh
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
We have them over here now too. Everyone who has them says they are great. I, stupidly, got some of the Jebo 810 - 815 units a few years back and they are rubbish. Noisey and cant stop them leaking.

I will be getting a sunsun unit soon to replace my glued up and taped together Jebo's

lkc
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM
FYI - SunSun makes JBJ products and Marineland series filters. You've gotta dig deep to find that particular info though.
I have this filter and it's great, did a lot of research before buying it. I wouldn't bother getting the one with the UV filter because 9 watts isn't going to be effective at killing anything.

JL15219
04-13-2010, 11:29 AM
FYI - SunSun makes JBJ products and Marineland series filters. You've gotta dig deep to find that particular info though.
I have this filter and it's great, did a lot of research before buying it. I wouldn't bother getting the one with the UV filter because 9 watts isn't going to be effective at killing anything.

Good to know....I am thinking about getting one for extra filtration for my 60 gal tank....

cyberhog05
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Just an update...I bought 3 more for other projects. Still runs strong. I have had zero problems and am more that happy with the build quality the fact I have had zero leaks and the one thing I did hate about this filter was the pump action to get the siphon going. Well after many many filter cleanings it dawned on me to just use my python with a shorter hose and fill the filter that way through the opening of the lid where the hoses snap into place

ZX10R
10-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I am using two SunSun filters for a year now and I learned that also to fill them after cleaning. A few times I broke a sweat pumping on those things not anymore. The only time mine leaked it was my fault I over tighten the plastic nuts for the hoses and broke them just used hose clamps to fix it.

Discus master
10-07-2010, 08:17 AM
I am using two SunSun filters for a year now and I learned that also to fill them after cleaning. A few times I broke a sweat pumping on those things not anymore. The only time mine leaked it was my fault I over tighten the plastic nuts for the hoses and broke them just used hose clamps to fix it.

good to now I was looking inot these as well have any idea what the largest is rated for? gph and tank size? also I thought the ones with the UV had a bigger wattage availible? I know they have the one with the 9watt but I also thought they had one with a larger wattage than that? any extra helps I am sure, and I am sure they took into account of the gph of the filter in comparison to the uv light after all they made both rite? good to know it was a JBJ and marineland product?

gwrace
02-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I know this is an old thread but I am looking for an inexpensive canister filter for a newly purchased 40 gallon breeder tank. I could not locate any of the SunSun filters on Ebay. Does anyone know of another source for these filters? I'd also be open to other suggestions.

Regards;

David

cyberhog05
02-22-2011, 04:37 PM
They are still on ebay. They go by another name called "Perfect" or they are not labeled with a name. Mine is still running strong and I love it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-AQUARIUM-CANISTER-FILTER-SYSTEM-MEDIA-265-GPH-/190502590182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ad6d6e6

There is 3 different GPH rating to look for. I seen one for 64.99 BIN that is rated at 375gph. The link I shared is one rated at 265GPH.

gwrace
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
They are still on ebay. They go by another name called "Perfect" or they are not labeled with a name. Mine is still running strong and I love it!
http://cgi.ebay.com/PERFECT-AQUARIUM-CANISTER-FILTER-SYSTEM-MEDIA-265-GPH-/190502590182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ad6d6e6

There is 3 different GPH rating to look for. I seen one for 64.99 BIN that is rated at 375gph. The link I shared is one rated at 265GPH.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of the name change. I purchased one this afternoon.

roybo
04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
Had mine for 5 months, rocks for the price!

ericatdallas
04-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Is there a SunSun or other chinese knock-off for the AC-110?

lipadj46
07-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I have a sunsun hw404b and it is a great huge filter, still nice and quiet after a year

Luvewithkindness
08-05-2011, 12:15 AM
I've had one over 1yr working great no issue yet works awesome I did switch the green hose for black and it cut down on the bulid up in the hoses . Ouse ceramic media and sponge and floss . Awesome canister filter.

yim11
08-05-2011, 02:19 AM
I've used the large sunsun canister with UV, and it does work great for the price. IIRC you can find a higher watt UV bulb to fit this unit online.

fast93accord
08-17-2011, 09:06 AM
There was a topic about sunsun canisters on the plantedtank.net a while back. People were saying they're more reliable then name brand ones due to leaking concerns...

lipadj46
08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
and you can now buy replacement impellers from a seller on ebay for $17 shipped