PDA

View Full Version : my Ebo Jager stopped working

gotfish?
01-18-2009, 01:03 AM
ive been using two 200W ebo jager heaters for less than 6 months that i got from jehmco..this is not a bad review about jehmco btw. im just upset that they gave up on me abit too soon. before purchasing anything, i always read people's thoughts about about a particular product and was convinced that this heater would last me a long time...soooo, maybe im doing something wrong, i totally sink the heater underwater, like what most of "us" do...but the directions did say that you shouldnt....do you think that might be the reason my heater broke on me?? im browsing right now for new heaters and im not sure if i should still go for ebo jager:( whatcha think??

Wahter
01-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Did you try re-calibrating the heaters?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31668&d=1200254104
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31669&d=1200254104http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31670&d=1200254104

Walter

gotfish?
01-18-2009, 02:40 AM
recalibrating?? sorry, i threw the box out and never really read it...:D

Eddie
01-18-2009, 04:38 AM
Hey Walter, thats a super nifty little post for people needing to calibrate their Jagers. It's been coming up alot lately. Maybe a sticky is in order. ;)

Great post
Eddie

mikel
01-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Way too complicated a heater...whatever happened to reliability and simplicity? mike

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
My Ebo was purchased this past October from Jhemco as well, who by the way are great to deal with! I recently had problems with it sticking on. I recalibrated it, set it at the tank temp which at that time was 84. Then next day it was up to 86 which I felt was fine for the Discus so didn't mess with it. By the way, I recalibrated it a few times. For a few days it's remained at 86 and now this morning it is at 88. I've never had a heater do this before. While I've heard great things about Ebo's, I'm not sure that I would buy another one. We are going away towards the end of the month and I don't think I can trust this heater in my tank while I am gone so will likely put a Vis Therm in there.

I too am curious, how important is it that you don't submerse this heater below the line it says? I've always heard you could submerse them all of the way, maybe that was incorrect info?

Anna :angel:

Eddie
01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Hey Anna,

You can submerse them, call Eheim and they will explain it. The thing I find wrong with the Jagers is that some of the heaters are no where near what the dial says. If you have 86 on the dial but getting 88, drop it down to 84. Once you get them set to reach the desired temp of the tank, they will stick. Don't trust the dial.

Eddie

aquadiva
01-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Hey Anna,

You can submerse them, call Eheim and they will explain it. The thing I find wrong with the Jagers is that some of the heaters are no where near what the dial says. If you have 86 on the dial but getting 88, drop it down to 84. Once you get them set to reach the desired temp of the tank, they will stick. Don't trust the dial.

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I did have this Ebo set at 84 all along, even after calibrating it, then the tank went to 86 degrees which I thought was okay so long as it stayed there even though the heater was set at 84. Then this morning the temp in the tank was 88. Remember also last week for no reason, this heater stuck on and raised the temp to 92! I'll see what it reads tomorrow. I just did a big water change. I've never seen a heater fluxuate like this!

Anna

Eddie
01-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, thats strange. Once I get mine set, I never have to touch them, ever!

Eddie

CliffsDiscus
01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Ebo Jager are not made like they use to be. Any readjustment to the dial is not
a good sign, it may be stuck on high(cook fish).

Cliff

gotfish?
01-19-2009, 07:15 PM
My Ebo was purchased this past October from Jhemco as well, who by the way are great to deal with! I recently had problems with it sticking on. I recalibrated it, set it at the tank temp which at that time was 84. Then next day it was up to 86 which I felt was fine for the Discus so didn't mess with it. By the way, I recalibrated it a few times. For a few days it's remained at 86 and now this morning it is at 88. I've never had a heater do this before. While I've heard great things about Ebo's, I'm not sure that I would buy another one. We are going away towards the end of the month and I don't think I can trust this heater in my tank while I am gone so will likely put a Vis Therm in there.

I too am curious, how important is it that you don't submerse this heater below the line it says? I've always heard you could submerse them all of the way, maybe that was incorrect info?

Anna :angel:

hi anna, have you tried calling jehmco? maybe they can return or exchange it for another one?? i saw the note on walter's post that theres a three year warranty....?

guille2007
01-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Ebo Jager are not made like they use to be. Any readjustment to the dial is not
a good sign, it may be stuck on high(cook fish).

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

That's very true. It's a lab variable calibrated bimetalical contact and when it has to be readjusted it means that one or both of the metals got affected mainly oxidized by water leaking in that case, it drives to a technical disability of any involved electrical aplication. When it happens to me that heater goes to trash.

Guillermo

aquadiva
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
hi anna, have you tried calling jehmco? maybe they can return or exchange it for another one?? i saw the note on walter's post that theres a three year warranty....?

Hello and yes I did call Jehmco but they said Eheim doesn't make it real easy anymore to get the warranty so I took that as they'd rather not deal with my returning it though they didn't say it so many words and I didn't press the issue. Instead I was told how to recalibrate it and if this doesn't work, I could call Jehmco back and see what they say about returning it. The company that makes it should just stick by their warranty!:mad:

Anna

Eddie
01-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello and yes I did call Jehmco but they said Eheim doesn't make it real easy anymore to get the warranty so I took that as they'd rather not deal with my returning it though they didn't say it so many words and I didn't press the issue. Instead I was told how to recalibrate it and if this doesn't work, I could call Jehmco back and see what they say about returning it. The company that makes it should just stick by their warranty!:mad:

Anna

Definitely! I'd call eheim and complain...maybe you'll get better customer service.

Eddie

gotfish?
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
gwaaad:mad::( this is so fraustrating... how did the recalibrating went?? did the heater started working again??...can anyone help me out on how to recalibrate??

Eddie
01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
gwaaad:mad::( this is so fraustrating... how did the recalibrating went?? did the heater started working again??...can anyone help me out on how to recalibrate??

Hey Ben,

The instructions are in Walters post. Look at the adjusting instructions.

HTH
Eddie

gotfish?
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Ben,

The instructions are in Walters post. Look at the adjusting instructions.

HTH
Eddie

oh, i think i totally misunderstood the word recalibrate...i think the instructions are for heaters that are not following the right temp right??.....my heater isnt releasing any heat AT ALL:(

Eddie
01-19-2009, 10:23 PM
oh, i think i totally misunderstood the word recalibrate...i think the instructions are for heaters that are not following the right temp right??.....my heater isnt releasing any heat AT ALL:(

Wow, that is a total first for a jager, they are normally running too good. Did you try doing the adjusting to see if that could fix it. Is is getting power, try another plug. The recal might fix it. Also, check to see if just the light is not on but actually heating.

Eddie

gotfish?
01-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow, that is a total first for a jager, they are normally running too good. Did you try doing the adjusting to see if that could fix it. Is is getting power, try another plug. The recal might fix it. Also, check to see if just the light is not on but actually heating.

Eddie

i tried adjusting, tried diffrent plugs..the light is on but no heat is comming out. what exactly is recalibrating?? and you give me instructions?? :(

im going to try to call jehmco tomorrow and see if they can do something about it

jackpot21n
01-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Just But a Fluval TRONIC. NO problems ever!

DaniDarvin
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
This same thing happen to my Ebo Jager. The light is one but it's not generating heat. I tried several occassions to try to get it to work but had no success. The only difference between yours and mine is mine was 5 years when it happend.

Good luck!

Danny

Eddie
01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Hey, if you guys wanna send me your broken heaters, I'll pay for shipping. ;)

Eddie

KDodds
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
10 or 15 years ago, you could not buy better than Ebo. Unfortunately, some 6-7 years ago, maybe a year more, the company was either sold or transformed in some way (exactly what happened escapes my recollection at the moment) and people (mostly marine) started reporting Ebo failures in pretty large numbers. Those Ebos that I purchased at that time are all now non-functional. Some froze on, some froze off, some lights failed, some didn't. I'm not talking about a heater or two, either. I'm talking about 6 separate heaters that I went through in a 180, 5 separate heaters I went through in a 125, 3 heaters in a 40, etc. Right now, my preference is for the Rena heaters. I've also tried the WON Bros. titaniums. The controllers failed on these, also something regularly reported.

GrillMaster
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey, if you guys wanna send me your broken heaters, I'll pay for shipping. ;)

Eddie

Whats yer address? I got alot of em!...:D :D :D

Eddie
01-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Whats yer address? I got alot of em!...:D :D :D

If it's the new ones, Eheim Jagers I will take all of them. I will PM you with my address and let me know the shipping cost.

Eddie

GrillMaster
01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
You never specified Eddie...;) :D

Just a handfull of various other heaters I just threw in a box after they stopped workin. I figured if they sat in there long enough one day I would pull em out, plug em in and they just might magically work again. Thought it was a cool way to finally let em go. :D :D :D

gotfish?
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
ANOTHER Ebo jager heater croaked on me!!! gwwwaaaaaddd!!! got home and my tank went from 86 to 79!! good thing i caught it early. same problem like before. lights are on but NO HEAT COMMING OUT AT ALL!g grrrrrr

im in the market for new heaters, anyone recommendations???

Eddie
04-28-2009, 06:43 PM
ANOTHER Ebo jager heater croaked on me!!! gwwwaaaaaddd!!! got home and my tank went from 86 to 79!! good thing i caught it early. same problem like before. lights are on but NO HEAT COMMING OUT AT ALL!g grrrrrr

Send it back, 3 year warranty. They are the best IMO

Eddie

gotfish?
04-28-2009, 06:49 PM
i called jehmco when my first one broke and they said call the company. so much pin pointing

Eddie
04-28-2009, 10:24 PM
i called jehmco when my first one broke and they said call the company. so much pin pointing

Call them up, they should replace it.

Eddie

gotfish?
04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
thanks eddie i will ;):)

poconogal
04-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Hi Eddie,

I did have this Ebo set at 84 all along, even after calibrating it, then the tank went to 86 degrees which I thought was okay so long as it stayed there even though the heater was set at 84. Then this morning the temp in the tank was 88. Remember also last week for no reason, this heater stuck on and raised the temp to 92! I'll see what it reads tomorrow. I just did a big water change. I've never seen a heater fluxuate like this!

Anna
Hi Anna - I had that same problem with my Ebo Jager, but the big greenie as they were called, which I bought in '93. No matter what I set it on, the tank temp kept climbing. I immediately replaced it with an Otto Computherm heater and controller which is still being used today. The only thing that Jager was good for was stirring water in a barrel, especially since it was soooooo long! I recently bought the Rena Smart Heater to replace another failed Stealth and so far, its been extremely steady and I'm very happy with it. I'm using it as a stand alone heater now in QT, but when I'm done with it I'm going to replace the intake of my XP3 with it, and set it lower than my Hydor ETH inline, (which I highly, highly recommend if you're using a canister) just in case the Hydor ever fails.

poconogal
04-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Anna

Anna, I just dealt with Eheim about a broken safety lock on my Pro II canister filter. I bought it used 2 years ago and its not under warranty. Eheim offered to send me a new part, free of charge, and they already mailed it, only one day after I contacted them! It sounds to me like it was Jehmco that doesn't want to be bothered with returned heaters and warranties. If you haven't taken care of this already, I'd email Eheim, explain the problem with your heater and tell them its still under warranty and see what they say.

poconogal
04-29-2009, 07:03 AM

Sounds like the Stealths which do the same thing! I had 2 of them die in 3 weeks and one was brand new out of the package!

I bought the Rena Smart Heater and am using it as a stand alone. I'm very happy with it, its been extremely stable, it has a really large light which also will alert you and flash fast or slow if the water temp falls below or rises above what the heater is set at. If you happen to have a Rena filter, you can use it to replace your intake on the filter. I'll be doing that soon, when I take it out of QT. It will be my backup in case my Hydor ETH inline heater ever fails.

If you are running a canister, I highly recommend the Hydor ETH inline heater. I've been using one for about 2-1/2 years so far, its extremely steady and reliable. Its set for 84 degrees and my 2 thermometers actually read 84.0. It's a miracle!

dpt8
04-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I have TONS of trouble with those.. BUT does it need to be recalculated correctly ???

gotfish?
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks connie, im currently looking up hydro inline heaters :) thanks for the suggestion :D

umm i dont think calibrating it would do the trick(i did try it btw) since theres no heat comming out at all...really annoying