PDA

View Full Version : Pics for Eddie aka basshead

Ed13
01-24-2009, 04:16 PM
So here is my draining system Eddie

First pic is of the syphon tube. You can see the check valve that keeps the line primmed and prevents backflow to the tanks. Hook it up to a Craftsman rubber hose because it's flexible while preventing kinks and choking the pump. It's not perfect but it suits my needs:)
Second pic is the pressure rated pump that has to pump 10' up and 30'+ horizontally before dumping it's contents

BTW, there is a pic of one of my stands because I'm proud it's 95% done almost entirely by me;)

Porkchop
01-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Are those 10 gallon tanks on top?

You use this system to drain, what about refilling?

Good job on the stand, it looks nice!

Anthony

Ed13
01-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Are those 10 gallon tanks on top?

You use this system to drain, what about refilling?

Good job on the stand, it looks nice!

Anthony
Bottom tank is a 75g and the four on top are 20g

Thanks it was hard work building the stands, I appreciated.

Eddie
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the pictures Ed, the stand looks great too! Nice work!

Eddie

Porkchop
01-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Bottom tank is a 75g and the four on top are 20g
Thanks it was hard work building the stands, I appreciated.

I'm getting a 75 this weekend. If I ever decide to go crazy with the breeding, I'll keep that stand in mind as a reference.

Anthony

Eddie
01-24-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm getting a 75 this weekend. If I ever decide to go crazy with the breeding, I'll keep that stand in mind as a reference.

Anthony

I second that, definitely saves space!

Eddie

Darren's Discus
01-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Ed,
very nice mate,look forward to the pics when their full of fish !:D once again nice job.

cheers

Ed13
01-25-2009, 08:14 AM
So here is my draining system Eddie

First pic is of the syphon tube. You can see the check valve that keeps the line primmed and prevents backflow to the tanks. Hook it up to a Craftsman rubber hose because it's flexible while preventing kinks and choking the pump. It's not perfect but it suits my needs:)
Second pic is the pressure rated pump that has to pump 10' up and 30'+ horizontally before dumping it's contents

BTW, there is a pic of one of my stands because I'm proud it's 95% done almost entirely by me;)
I realize I never explained how it works!:o
That's my WC systmem. I place the syphon tube in the tank, open the valve at the pump output, and turn on the pump. Voila!!!! Pump is a 1/2 hp pressure rated utility pump. So far is working really good, some things I now know for the next time. But, it was needed since the waste water needs to go far a way.

I just threw the stand pic in there, because I MADE IT:D

Thanks for the comments guys, oh btw Darren, some tanks have fish already;) but, are not picture ready yet:(

Thanks DArren

Ed13
01-25-2009, 08:27 AM
And this is the refill part:

First pic sediment filter leading to the tanks

Second pic 2 x 200gal storage tanks being heated by the Caribbean sun:sun: They have a float valve so they refill by themselves

Third pic is the 1/2 HP shallow well pump that draws water from the storage tanks, passes them through the carbon filter(you can see them in the pics) and delivers to the tanks, very fast.

Love the speed of it all. Have still to clean up a bit:o

seanyuki
01-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Ed,

Very nice water change set up.....wow love those storage tanks.
Thinking of getting this one cos I could put inside my cabinet.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/th_7db15af8571bec7cf891d5199cd52f86.jpg (http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo232/aiseanyuki/?action=view&current=7db15af8571bec7cf891d5199cd52f86.jpg)

DOORWAY TANKS (29"wide)
See list below. If your entry space is only 29" then a doorway tank is right for you.

Avail in 300-400 gallon sizes, these tanks are a great way to maximize your space.
The dimensions of the tanks allow them to fit through a conventional doorway. The design of these tanks allow them to be freestanding/self-supporting and eliminates the need for a steel frame.

Cheers
Francis:)

Ed13
01-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh those are sweet Francis! If I ever setup the reef tank I'm gonna get some for under the tank for water top off and supplementation of additives.

There are also "bed" cisterns (yeah flat like a bed, but I could only find those in 600g -1,000g) Also "apartment/closet ones" about 6' tall a big space saver.

Francis can you beleive I got those at my local Home Depot for $120 each. They even carry 90g-1,500 g ones and at one time a 10,000g :alien: And I have two HD less than 15 min away, lol

rickztahone
01-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Ed how does the check valve keep it primed?

Eddie
01-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Ed how does the check valve keep it primed?

Hey there Ricardo,

Hope I am understanding the question but a check valve only allows fluid flow in one direction so when you shut the pump off, the water that hasn't gone through the pump is held in position until the pump starts again. :D

Eddie

rickztahone
01-26-2009, 03:29 AM
Hey there Ricardo,

Hope I am understanding the question but a check valve only allows fluid flow in one direction so when you shut the pump off, the water that hasn't gone through the pump is held in position until the pump starts again. :D

Eddie

nice, i didn't even know of such things, lol. i shall buy one of those soon seeing as i have that one pump i posted the other day, remember Eddie?. i'll probably use it to just siphon the water out. and use my submersible to put water back in.

Ed13
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey there Ricardo,

Eddie
Yup! Since it doesn't allow water to empty from the intake side is always primmed. It also doesn't allow waster water to contaminate other tanks. I can always sterilize the tube before it enters other tanks. They do have to be inspected since they may go bad after a while, but if you bought a good quality one it should take a while.

nice, i didn't even know of such things, lol. i shall buy one of those soon seeing as i have that one pump i posted the other day, remember Eddie?. i'll probably use it to just siphon the water out. and use my submersible to put water back in.
It won't keep it primed unless there is a backflow of sorts. I my case the pump ouput goes 10' high so there is enough.

You could always put a valve or something to keep the water in. I'm glad that I did that because the pump creates enough vacuum to keep a syphon going after it has been shut off when is pulling from a high tank(~5') even though the water has to travel 10' up and the 30' horizontally:confused: If I take it out of the water it stops while it still keeps primmed but...you never know