PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on an R.O. Unit?

Cguess
01-26-2009, 03:55 AM
Hey guys! I just wanted to start by saying that im a new member, looking to setup my first "serious" Discus tank, and Ive found the information on these forums to be the most comprehensive around, Bravo! Anyway, im setting up a 55 Gal, and im shopping around for R.O. Units. Ive been lookin at this one (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4395+12093&pcatid=12093 ) simply because it has a built in pump. I live in a rural area, and while my water pressure isnt bad, it the best. Do you think a pump will be necessary or am i just being paranoid? I dont like problems, but then who does right? Just wanted to get you guys and gals opinion on the subject...THANKS!

Elite Aquaria
01-26-2009, 06:55 AM
Check your water pressure first. I have an RO unit that I purchased from Air, Water & Ice and I do not use a pump. It is more efficient but again depends on how much water you need and what your water pressure is.

alpine
01-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Call Russell at BUCKEYE supply , he will be able to answer all your questions and supply you with the right equipment .
Roberto.

John_Nicholson
01-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Unless you are trying to breed them you probably don't need an R/O. Discus will do quite in hard water.

-john

MostlyDiscus
01-26-2009, 06:02 PM
If you are going to buy a RO skip the pump. Pump is only needed to push a larger amount of water through the membrane. Ed

Don Trinko
01-26-2009, 06:11 PM
I would spend the money on a larger GPD membrane rather than the pump.
RO's are rated at a specific temperature and pressure. You will get less GPD at lower temp and pressure. Your water temp will almost always be lower than the specified temp. Don T.

Ed13
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
If you are going to buy a RO skip the pump. Pump is only needed to push a larger amount of water through the membrane. Ed
No, Ro membranes are rated at a specific parameters to achieve peak performance. Usually 50-60 psi, 77F, and under 250 TDS. The more input water deviates from those numbers(may be diff from membrane to membrane) the less efficient it will work.
Since many here experience cold temps during winter, increasing the PSI of input water increases efficiency.

I say get those numbers first, then decide on RO system(with DI or not and how many stages), then on whether pump is needed. If you can handle the cost invest in the pump. BTW, you shouldn't put more than 100 PSI through the membrane.

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Ive been using www.bulkreefsupply.com (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com) for any r/o needs for a while.

-Ryan

GrillMaster
01-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Unless you are trying to breed them you probably don't need an R/O. Discus will do quite in hard water.

-john

Ditto...

Why would you think you need an RO unit?

Cguess
01-26-2009, 11:28 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replys. Im wanting and R.O. Unit for a couple of reasons. One, because my water is VERY hard and the natural ph is just shy of 9.0, im not sure what causes such a high ph but thats what it is, and two, because somewhere down the line, im interested in breeding. I used to breed angels and absolutely loved it!