PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Questions

fishyj
01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi all,Right now I have a 125g tank full of malawi cichlids. I plan on getting rid of them and changing over to a discus tank. I have 2 150w heaters, 2 emperor hang on the back filters(400), and a fluval 304 canister filter. My questions are as follows:
1) how much of a water change and how often for 10 discus?
2) can I put anything else in with them?
3) I know most of you like bare bottom but what if I took aquarium silicone on the bottom of the tank and sprinkled sand on it. Once it is dry its like bare bottom just textured.(just a thought)
4) Can I just attach fake plants to driftwood for some decorations.
Thanks in advance for the help.

kenhappen2u
01-27-2009, 07:47 PM
1..... 50% 3 times a week (min)

2. yes . BN pleco's , angels, rummy nose , some tetra's, etc

3.. no . how would you clean it when it got dirty/stained, seems like a lot of extra work just to keep it looking good.
you couls use just A thin layer of sand on the bottom (silca sand) and some fake plants and driftwood , a sand bottom seems to be the second favrot substrate next to a bare bottom .

4. yes . that what most of us just end up doing ,

hope this helps ...

Ken

mmorris
01-28-2009, 10:46 AM
1) I agree with Ken. I would do it daily though.
2) If you are new to discus you might want to get your feet wet, so to speak, before adding any other types. The fewer the variables to start, IMO, the better.
3) If growing out juvies, no sand. You might want to paint the outside bottom with a spray paint, like sandstone.
4) Plants in a pot or on driftwood should be fine, as long as you can keep everything very clean. If growing out juvies, I would forgo on this too. `Stuff' can wait until they are older.

Porkchop
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't think your heaters are big enough to heat that tank. What temp do you keep it at right now? Most keep Discus between 82-86 degrees.

Also, just from what I've experienced being new, I would recommend a bare bottom 55 gallon and about 5-6 Discus to start with. Do that for about 5 to 6 months first. That's just my opinion though...

Good luck!

Anthony

Eddie
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, definitely want to get a few higher wattage heaters. I'd do 2 each 300 watt heaters for a tank that size.

10 discus is a good number for your 125, I'd actually put 15 in there since I love to crunch my space, I do things unorthodox. You'll most likely have a few fall behind in growth anyways.

50% WCs daily for sure if not more since you will be feeding alot and often.

BB would be best, painted bottom as Martha suggested.

Potted plants do look very nice and work well. Anubias work well in pots,tied to driftwood or free floating.

Eddie

fishyj
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the help. I decided to purchase a 55 gallon tank to raise them in and transfer to the 125 later on. I figure that I can set up the 125 with my sand and plants and get that going in the meantime. It also would be easier to do water changes on the 55 everyday,than the 125. How many 2to2.5 inch fish can I put in and also can I mix or do I have to keep them the same. What are some of the desired types.

Eddie
01-29-2009, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the help. I decided to purchase a 55 gallon tank to raise them in and transfer to the 125 later on. I figure that I can set up the 125 with my sand and plants and get that going in the meantime. It also would be easier to do water changes on the 55 everyday,than the 125. How many 2to2.5 inch fish can I put in and also can I mix or do I have to keep them the same. What are some of the desired types.

Well, if you stay up on Big WCs and good tank maintenance, I'd push 8 in a 55. Many will say 10gallon per fish, yes thats fine when they are grown but since you will be growing yours out and then moving them to the 125, it should be fine. Some will grow faster than others, facts of discus life.

You can mix whatever strains you want but it's nice to have 2 strains that compliment each other.

Desired types are albinos, spotted, red, snakeskin varieties and it really just depends on your taste.

Eddie

fishyj
02-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks all for the help