PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the plumbing

jonboy1969
01-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I was wondering how often if ever, some of you guys and gals clean the plumbing that goes from the sump to the tank and from the RO/Storage tank to the main tank and from the main pump to the tank. I also have plumbing that goes from the CO2 Reactor to the main tank. Just wondering if I should be breaking down the pipes and cleaning them. Ive got alot of pipes and hoses, and most are cemented and would be hard to clean without a complete breakdown of the tank system.
Thanks for any advise.
Jon

blueluv
05-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Just what I was looking for. I have similar question about cleaning the hose from my 75 gallon vertical container. Inside my 75 gallon storage container I have a quiet one submersible pump and a 25 ft clear vinyl tubing. Over time the vinyl tubing developed black mold on the inside...so i tried two ways of cleaning the inside of the vinyl tubing. One was by trying to flush it under tub water spout and the second by using a sweeper nozzle connected to water hose. Both were a fail...so if anyone has any suggestions on how to clean my vinyl tubing, I would really appreciate it. I rather try to clean it and reuse it again, rather than buying a new one. These vinyl tubing are not cheap. Thank you

blueluv
05-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Any suggestions? Anyone? Please

lipadj46
05-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Just run some bleach water or KMnO4 solution through it. Then run a dechlor through

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

a volar
05-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Pipes - never
Vinyl hoses - water and bleach

8ftbed
05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
My 20 year old python hose was mostly dark and funky. I dismantled, soaked and sloshed the fifty footer in a tub of bleach water last week. Then hooked it up to the faucet it outside. It's better but still not clean.
I've got a couple of ideas to try next week and will share if one of them works.

chaoslite
05-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Water and bleach.

Mishka

Ehup
05-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Electrical snake with piece of sponge or scrub pad attached. You can get one cheap at Lowes.

yim11
05-10-2013, 02:44 AM
I was wondering how often if ever, some of you guys and gals clean the plumbing that goes from the sump to the tank
Jon

Once, maybe twice a year at most.

and from the RO/Storage tank to the main tank and from the main pump to the tank.
Jon

Once, maybe twice ever.

HTHs :)
-jim

blueluv
05-10-2013, 04:07 AM
Hello jim
What about my question? Thank you ;)

Bud Smith
05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I put unions in my pvc piping which allows me to take it apart in sections and clean it once a year
storage tanks - every 6 months

8ftbed
05-10-2013, 11:19 AM
I put unions in my pvc piping which allows me to take it apart in sections and clean it once a year
storage tanks - every 6 months

Ha! Speed reading with trifocals is a bad thing. "I put onions in my pvc piping..." is what I initially read and was ... huh? wut ? :)

DiscusLoverJeff
05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
If you don't need your python for a day, try and cap one end, lay it out in your yard, using a funnel run your bleach/ hot water mix through the hose (poor slowly). Let sit for 4 hours, turn hose over or twirl it like a jump robe and let sit another 4 hours. If you notice it looks like whats inside is breaking up, then continue this for another 4 hours. If it does not work, make your bleach mix stronger. But always remember to rinse with tap water/prime mixed. Let air dry for at least 12 hours.

8ftbed
05-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Good tip Jeff. I'm thinking my bleach was pretty weak the other day.

Hey, since your just down the street and around the corner, I'll drop it off for you to show me how it's done.

:)

DiscusLoverJeff
05-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Lol.