PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Hatchery

fishyj
02-03-2009, 05:12 PM
hi all, Just wondering if anyone has put the shrimp hatcheries on their tank and if so hows it been working.

rickztahone
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
hi all, Just wondering if anyone has put the shrimp hatcheries on their tank and if so hows it been working.

i have 4 ghost shrimp that have survived quite a while and i had a mini-colony of 15-20 that all became lunch food for my discus. fortunately i had some babies in a QT which i will release when i have a larger established colony. can get expensive if you keep buying and they keep getting eaten.

bs6749
02-03-2009, 07:59 PM
i have 4 ghost shrimp that have survived quite a while and i had a mini-colony of 15-20 that all became lunch food for my discus. fortunately i had some babies in a QT which i will release when i have a larger established colony. can get expensive if you keep buying and they keep getting eaten.

I think the OP is asking about brine shrimp hatcheries.

rickztahone
02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I think the OP is asking about brine shrimp hatcheries.
sry, my mistake

KDodds
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I take it you're talking about the HOB models that keep FW and SW from mixing? As a novelty, they're okay, but not if you need to raise BS in large number. For that, your best bet is simply a row of old 2L soda bottles, with airstones at the bottom. You'll go through a lot of water, and a lot of salt mix, too, if you're doing it in any large quantity. An array of smaller conatiners, IME, is better than one large vessel. This way, if a portion of the whole "crashes" it doesn't effect the rest. We did it this way for months when keeping H. zosterae.

fishyj
02-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I'am just thinking a snack for the discus inbetween meals. I figure they can feed on that too. I plan on doing the water changes so it can't hurt, plus I have a ton of the eggs I got from a friend.

KDodds
02-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Nope, can't hurt, really. As I said, though, as a novelty, they're okay. But as far as being truly useful, not really. You're better off hatching in a bottle with an airstone, using a BS net within 24 hours, and discarding the rest (unless you hope to raise them).

TankWatcher
02-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Haven't used them in a while, but I have 2 brine shrimp hatcheries. I used them alternately, when I had breeding apistos & needed the napauli for the fry. They were very useful for that purpose, but I think if you are intending them for adult discus, you will need to have somewhere to grow the napauli into adult brine shrimp. For discus fry, probably ok, but they may not yield enough - not sure.

fishyj
02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the help