PDA

View Full Version : What does TDS stand for?

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 05:57 PM
I know you are all probably LYAO but I have seen this in many threads and I have checked the new discus keepers guide and tds is not down as an abbreviation. So can someone tell me what it is and how do I test for it?

rwong2k
02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I know you are all probably LYAO but I have seen this in many threads and I have checked the new discus keepers guide and tds is not down as an abbreviation. So can someone tell me what it is and how do I test for it?

TDS stands for Total Dissolved Solids, pretty much as it says how much dissolved solids are in your water, (I don't know exactly which solids it does test for though)

Usually most people use a TDS meter to get a reading, it can be in units like g/ml or microseimens.

Ok found a better explanation:

'The principal methods of measuring total dissolved solids are digital TDS meters and testers. These TDS testers (and meters) utilize an electrical conductivity reading through a detachable probe and they are considered the most effective and easy to use.

A TDS meter or TDS tester utilizes Electrical conductivity of water that is directly related to the concentration of dissolved ionized solids in the water. Ions from the dissolved solids in water create the ability for that water to conduct an electrical current which can be measured using conventional Milwaukee meters or testers. When correlated with laboratory TDS measurements, electrical conductivity provides an approximate value for the TDS concentration and is displayed as such on the TDS meter or TDS tester display as parts per million ( ppm ) concentrations and most Milwaukee testers and meters are usually to within +/- 2% accuracy.'

From http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/milwaukee-meters.html

Elite Aquaria
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Total Dissolved Solids

casw
02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
TDS is total dissolved solids. This is anything besides H2O. Dissolved gases, organic matter etc. all add to higher TDS.

Reverse osmosis water should have a very low TDS reading or you may need to do some filter maintenance. My tap water comes out at 300 TDS. This may be why all of my discus eggs go white 1 day after they are laid. If I were wanting to have my discus breed I'd definitely mix r.o. with my tap to lower the TDS.

bavaria36
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
It's a measure of all the ions in solution in the water. Easiest way to test for it is by using a TDS meter. This measures the electrical conductivity of the water ( which is a function of TDS ). The results are usually given in ppm ( parts per million ).

Aaron

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Ok , total dissolved solids...how do I test for that? So I know what my water has?

bavaria36
02-03-2009, 06:18 PM
My tap water comes out at 300 TDS. This may be why all of my discus eggs go white 1 day after they are laid. If I were wanting to have my discus breed I'd definitely mix r.o. with my tap to lower the TDS.

Mine is also at 300 ppm. Coincidentally I have a wild pair that have laid eggs 3 times in the last month and all the eggs go white within a day or two. I had suspected that the male was infertile but maybe its just the hard water as you point out.

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
It's a measure of all the ions in solution in the water. Easiest way to test for it is by using a TDS meter. This measures the electrical conductivity of the water ( which is a function of TDS ). The results are usually given in ppm ( parts per million ).

Aaron

Sorry Aaron I posts have crossed. Would the LFS have one of these meters or should I buy one and if so are they expensive?

Kath

PS I have a GH and KH test kit are we talking the same thing?

bavaria36
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
I just bought one from Amazon a week ago to replace a broken one. $20... not bad.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T6L5M

There are others out there of course. The one I had before looked similar but also had a digital temperature function which was useful.

Aaron

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
GH - General Hardness of water
KH - Carbonate Hardness of water

Is that the same as TDS?

dishpanhands
02-03-2009, 06:50 PM
GH - General Hardness of water
KH - Carbonate Hardness of water

Is that the same as TDS?

no they only make up part of your tds..

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Ahh OK thank you I will buy a meter then so I can measure my total dissolved solids and see what it is. See if I have the right stuff to have babies!
Thanx Kath

Graham
02-03-2009, 06:56 PM
No its part of it though

KH, carbonate hardness or alkalinity, is a measurement of the water's ability to buffer against an acid, to neutralize an acid. It will measure the carbonates and bicarbonates and espress them as calcium carbonate CaCO3. It cal also be called temporary hardness as it's a numbe that continually dropping as it's used up by the biological process taking place in the tank.

GH is a measurement of varying salts in the water but mainly calcium and magnesium..

TDS is a measurement of just about anything dissolved in it, but the water itself that. This includes minerals and salts, ...anything that's dissolved into the water. It's measured by conductivity so anything that has a positive or negative electrical charge

G

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Bummer Amazon will not ship this to Australia!

Mr Wild
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Yep got one, thank you everyone for your replies I get it now! Kath

MostlyDiscus
02-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey Kath, they have EBay down unda? I guess its mid day there m8. Check on ebay to see if there are any good deals...

Mr Wild
02-04-2009, 03:38 AM
Yes thanks for the idea, should have thought of it myself! Just been on ebay picked one up that does temp as well for $39AU. Happy with that! Thanks everyone Kath

Mr Wild
02-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Ok everyone my TDS meter has arrived and I have tested my tank it is 99ppm is this good or bad? I am on rain water with PH 6.2-6.4 does thi fit?