PDA

View Full Version : red plants

sirmanndog
02-03-2009, 11:41 PM
Hello,

I am a new member.This is my first post.What a fantastic forum everyone has built here.Thanks for having an open membership and allowing me to join.

I am setting up a 100 gal tank.I'm starting it up this weekend.I plan to try my hand at growing out my own Discus b/b then switching to a planted tank.Wish me luck.

I have no experience with plants.I will be very low tech.I am trying to do some advanced planning in regards to the varieties I introduce to my tank.

This is my question.What red varieties of plants work well in low tech tanks?

Does low lighting remove color?

Lastly,if you do recommend some plants,please,include the 'common' name and pictures.This is very new to me and I do not recognize the true botanical names.

Thanks to anyone who answers this post.I know I am asking a lot of you.

Eddie
02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey there, welcome.

Not sure if you checked out this thread yet but it is a sticky in the planted section.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=59346

Hope this helps
Eddie

sirmanndog
02-04-2009, 12:05 AM
Yes.That's a great help.Thank you.

If anyone has experience with some of these varieties I would be interested in their opinions.

I am still very curious about how sensitive the red coloring is to light or lack of light.

KDodds
02-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Most of the more highly desired red plants will not work well in a low light tank. One that does very well does come to mind. While not as red as some, Cryptocoryne wendtii "red" seems the most logical choice.