PDA

View Full Version : TetraColor Granules vs Ocean Nurtriton Formula 2

freestylez_14
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
I recently bought a can of Ocean Nutrition formula2 flakes and my discus do not like it. They only like tetra granules. Which food is better for my discus?

rickztahone
02-04-2009, 03:28 AM
I recently bought a can of Ocean Nutrition formula2 flakes and my discus do not like it. They only like tetra granules. Which food is better for my discus?

i would say the ONF2 but discus do tend to accept the TCB a lot better. keep at it, it took me a while to get them to eat all the flakes i give them

Eddie
02-04-2009, 07:24 AM
i would say the ONF2 but discus do tend to accept the TCB a lot better. keep at it, it took me a while to get them to eat all the flakes i give them

ON formula 2 is definitely a better food. As Ricardo says, sometimes it takes them a little while to get used to the flake. One thing I did initially was actually push the flake down under the water so that it would float down. Once they started eating the flakes, they would readily begin to take the flake from the surface. Might give that a try..

Eddie

KDodds
02-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Soaking it in a flavor enhancer/supplement can also help.

Dkarc@Aol.com
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM
I would prefer ON formula 2 over TCB mostly because of the nutritional profile. TCB has higher carb level compared to ONF2 which is not a good thing as discus are primarily carnivores (both are good, ONF2 is just better). Also, TCB only has 6.5% lipids compared to ONF2 which is nearly double that. I would only recommend TCB to someone who is feeding adults and have no intention of breeding.

-Ryan

brewmaster15
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Try ONF1 flakes...they may like it better.. I prefer ONF1 to tetrabits....I use the ONF1 pellets here alot.

-al

seanyuki
02-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I am using most of the Ocean Nutrition products....discus really like the ON Prime Reef best.

Cheers
Francis:)

Eddie
02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I am using most of the Ocean Nutrition products....discus really like the ON Prime Reef best.

Cheers
Francis:)

Thats right Francis, it's the staple flake for my guys...:D

Eddie

William Palumbo
02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Same here now Eddie. After finally finding some, the Discus love it! Am about out, but have two big cans of it coming by UPS...Bill

freestylez_14
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
My LFS doesnt carry Prime Reef, if they do I would buy some for my discus.:(

kenhappen2u
02-04-2009, 03:04 PM
i use the ON prime reef flake... it took a little while before they all took to the flake but now they love it .

Ken

ShinShin
02-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Tetra Color Bits are not really the best dry food although they are the most used. You can buy Ocean Nutrition products online at reasonable rates. Prime Reef, Discus Formula, Brineshrimp Plus, and Formula One are the products I use, and my discus accepted immediately.

If I were to use only 2, Prime Reef and Discus formula would be my choices.

Mat

bavaria36
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I have used Tetra Color Bits for a couple of years now. Most of my discus including the wilds love them. However they seem to prefer picking them off the bottom rather than eat them as they fall through the water column.

I bought ON Formula 1 for the first last a few weeks ago. At first all the fish were suspicious and did not like them. After a few tries they started taking them and now they love the stuff. Even my heckels like it and they will chase the bits of flake running in the current.

I find that Tetra Bits are great for automatic feeders as they dispesne easily while the ON flake keeps getting stuck even after I break up the flakes.

So if I were you I would keep trying with the ON flakes and then feed both when the fish take them

Aaron

freestylez_14
02-04-2009, 11:43 PM
ON Formula 2 flakes VS ON Prime Reef flakes

What is the difference between these two? I seen in some threads more people preferred using prime reef but the On formula 2 nutrition stat seems a little bit higher. Is ON formula 2 actually better than Prime reef?

Links of these 2 food

ON Prime reef
http://www.zoocentras.lt/ocean-nutrition-prime-reef-flake-71-g-p-673.html
Crude Protein (min) 48.7%
Crude Fat (min) 9.9%
Crude Fiber (max) 2.1%
Ash (max) 8.5%
Moisture (max) 8%

ON Formula 2:
http://www.zoocentras.lt/ocean-nutrition-formula-2-flake-156-g-p-279.html
Crude Protein (min) 50.0%
Crude Fat (min) 11.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Ash (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 8.8%

rickztahone
02-05-2009, 01:09 AM

What is the difference between these two? I seen in some threads more people preferred using prime reef but the On formula 2 nutrition stat seems a little bit higher. Is ON formula 2 actually better than Prime reef?

Links of these 2 food

ON Prime reef
Crude Fat (min) 9.9%
Crude Fiber (max) 2.1%
Ash (max) 8.5%
Moisture (max) 8%

ON Formula 2:
Crude Fat (min) 11.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Ash (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 8.8%

doesn't the Formula One have 54% crude protein? i don't have the can in front of me now

freestylez_14
02-05-2009, 01:44 AM
ON Formula 1

Crude Protein (min) 55.0%
Crude Fat (min) 11.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 0.9%
Ash (max) 6.5%
Moisture (max) 8.8%

ShinShin
02-05-2009, 02:19 AM
From the container:

Prime Reef has 55.4% protein and 10.8% fat.
ONF1 has 54.6% pro. and 11.8% fat.

Just for kicks, ON Discus flakes has 52.5% pro. and 11.4% fat.

Mat

rickztahone
02-05-2009, 03:18 AM
From the container:

Prime Reef has 55.4% protein and 10.8% fat.
ONF1 has 54.6% pro. and 11.8% fat.

Just for kicks, ON Discus flakes has 52.5% pro. and 11.4% fat.

Mat

all great IMO

Eddie
02-05-2009, 03:20 AM

Links of these 2 food

ON Prime reef
Crude Fat (min) 9.9%
Crude Fiber (max) 2.1%
Ash (max) 8.5%
Moisture (max) 8%

ON Formula 2:
Crude Fat (min) 11.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Ash (max) 6.0%
Moisture (max) 8.8%

You have the wrong number up there. ON Prime Reef has 55.4% Protein.

http://www.oceannutrition.com/product_marine.php?file=bb03.html&head=09

;)

Ricardo Romão
02-10-2009, 10:22 AM
ocean nutrition is the best for me ...

freestylez_14
02-14-2009, 03:44 PM
i started to feed my fish ON formula one pellets and i can see my fish takes a long time to digest. I used to feed my fish Tetrabit and after one hour i came back to them i see poop are on the bottom of the tank. for the ON formula 1 pellets i fed them and come back in 1 hour i havent see any poop and their belly are still full of the food. Are the ON pellets hard to digest? I dont know if its because ON F1 are new to them? so that is why they having hard time to digest?. Should i continue feeding them this food?

Yassmeena
02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
When I used to feed color bits (both ON and tetra) there were random bloat problems which I would rather avoid. So I stopped with pellets all together.

Now I use flakes (ON2 and ON Primereef). My discus took a while before they were receptive to flakes, but now they like them!

Although it took a month of throwing some in with their FBWs on a daily basis, I am really glad I did it. Flakes are more nutritious and much easier to feed as well!

freestylez_14
02-14-2009, 04:20 PM
hi thanks for replying. i have another question. Im currently trying to feed my 1 inch fries crushed ON prime reef and they are having a hard time accepting it. what can i do to convince them to eat it? they just only eat dried brine shrimp. if i keep continue to introduce them prime reef will they eventually eat it?

thanks everyone.

ShinShin
02-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Yes, especially if that is all you offer them. ON Discus Flakes have a higher fat content than Prime Reef, which is beneficial to growing fry. I suggest you give it a try as well.

Mat

freestylez_14
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
hi Mat, if i want to feed my fry just the flakes from now on and they dont eat it and get starve. will that make them get stunted? right now they are just eating freeze dried brine shrimp.

Eddie
02-14-2009, 08:34 PM
hi Mat, if i want to feed my fry just the flakes from now on and they dont eat it and get starve. will that make them get stunted? right now they are just eating freeze dried brine shrimp.

Just keep trying using a combination of FBS and flake. After a while, they will start to take the flake.

Another idea is to make a mix of your own, beefheart or seafood.

Eddie