FLGirl1977
02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Check out this background (New Amazonia):

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/ama_1.jpg

Nice... what do you think of this background? Holds a hefty price tag though..l

;)

mench
02-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Yep they are nice,but not worth around$400 or more,at least not to me..they also cut down the useable foot print of your tank...but they are nice to look at

Mench

FLGirl1977
02-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I had one of the 'rocky IV' in my tank when I had tropheus. They are really nice, but you're right... they take a HUGE cut on the foot-print of the tank, plus.... once they're in, they're a pain to get out (I ended up selling that tank with the background in it to some friends), It just wasn't worth the trouble to try and get it out. If my tank was bigger than 120g. I might consider getting one of these. :)

rickztahone
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
when i first started in the hobby i so wanted one of those but then after a while of reading and seeing people complain about them i reevaluate my need for it. the footprint is affected as mentioned and if it is not in place properly a lot of debris can get stuck back there. i'm not sure if i would like the algae build up that goes along with it and while it does look good it might just take away from the tank IMO rather than improve it. of course many would disagree :p

KDodds
02-06-2009, 01:50 PM
We had a rock background for ARLC that was similar in theory. I wouldn't have used it, but my wife liked it. It's a maintenance nightmare unless it can be easily slipped out and returned OR there's a lot of flow and some type of detritus removal behind the piece.

poconogal
02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Renee I looked into those backgrounds quite awhile ago. The biggest headache it seemed to me was that stuff could build up behind it. I thought they'd be a maintenance nightmare, plus they were a bit expensive!

FLGirl1977
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm glad everyone is reminding me exactly (now) why I got rid of my other one! lol! ;)