PDA

View Full Version : At what size to move them

fishyj
02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all, I have a 125 tank that is being converted to a discus show tank. Iam purchasing a 55 gallon tank that I will run bare bottom. If I buy 10 (2to2.5 inch fish) how long can I keep them in there to grow out and what size would you move them. I also have a 29 gallon tank for any that pair up. (told the wife the 125 would be my last, oh well I lied, lol). This is in the planning stages, and I want everything to go right. Iam learning a ton from this site, Thanks for all the help and input.

kenhappen2u
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
thats hard to answer ,and i am no expert at this ..but what i do know is different strains with grow at different rates and so on , food fed , water changes ,size of tank, etc , but most discus reach adult age/size at about a year , that doesnt mean they cant be moved before then but i would think that about 7-9 months they should be at good size and show most of thier adult colors. youll also be able see the slow growers within the first couple of months .

good thread here .....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68741

hope this helps .....Ken

ps : just buy all your (10) fish at the same time if you can ...this will help with not having to QT any fish you buy at a later time or when bought in batches ,