PDA

View Full Version : Bizzaro Discus Help Page MQ

Bizzaro
02-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Hello everyone im new to this hole discus thing. Right now i have a 60G planted tank which was there home, tell i had to remove them cuz i only have 3 discus. Im awaiting more as soon as i make a trip to a breeded. I was told i should get 5-7 inside this tank. I know peppering happens in planted tanks that why im going to try and spill some money on purebreeds that have no peppering. Or will i still get peppering? For right now i have all 3 discus inside a small 50g (some off size 55 but tall 50? about as tall as a 60g n wide but only 3 feet long) so the discus have been inside this tank for a month all divided up cuz two are fighting or dancing i cant tell anymore. They keep lip locking n nipping on the side... but i also see them shack dance. Im still not 100 sure if i should put back in the divider n keep this alone tell i get more fish this weekend. what do you think? onces i get about 6 they are all going back into the planted tank. One more thing i wanna ask is what should i do with my new arrivels n my old ones? I was hopping keeping them out of the 60G tank well make them forget about about the tank so when the new fish arrive i can just add them all at once.... oh i forgot i have to Q them for a week.. i have a 29L n i can eather move the old fish in there and start the 55 as a new Q for the other new fish.... Thanks n sorry for the long post hope some of you read it all n not be lazy, I thought this was alot better then 30post i still have alot more stuff to ask.

rickztahone
02-08-2009, 02:12 AM
Hello everyone im new to this hole discus thing. Right now i have a 60G planted tank which was there home, tell i had to remove them cuz i only have 3 discus. Im awaiting more as soon as i make a trip to a breeded. I was told i should get 5-7 inside this tank. I know peppering happens in planted tanks that why im going to try and spill some money on purebreeds that have no peppering. Or will i still get peppering? For right now i have all 3 discus inside a small 50g (some off size 55 but tall 50? about as tall as a 60g n wide but only 3 feet long) so the discus have been inside this tank for a month all divided up cuz two are fighting or dancing i cant tell anymore. They keep lip locking n nipping on the side... but i also see them shack dance. Im still not 100 sure if i should put back in the divider n keep this alone tell i get more fish this weekend. what do you think? onces i get about 6 they are all going back into the planted tank. One more thing i wanna ask is what should i do with my new arrivels n my old ones? I was hopping keeping them out of the 60G tank well make them forget about about the tank so when the new fish arrive i can just add them all at once.... oh i forgot i have to Q them for a week.. i have a 29L n i can eather move the old fish in there and start the 55 as a new Q for the other new fish.... Thanks n sorry for the long post hope some of you read it all n not be lazy, I thought this was alot better then 30post i still have alot more stuff to ask.

it is somewhat difficult to read the small font size you have. from what i read i suggest you quarantine your new discus for at least 6 weeks. once you do that put them in together if you do not notice any problems. having only the 3 in the one tank can create problems though and putting a divider will help

Bizzaro
02-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Well i first started out with 2 they did fine tell a few week into the 60G tank. then i added another one to notice the problem sky rocket which one was nipping the other and it was going back and forth, No one was safe. So i removed them all. So what your saying is keep them all inside the 50G tell my new fish are ready and add them all into the 60G at the same time?

Another Question is how can i tell male from female? I've been told to look for a head hump like on some other fish. My fish are small only 3 1/2 inch big

Also clear dividers are fine? i was going to make black walls with holes drilled into them so the fish cant really see each other so i was hopping that well help later.

Eddie
02-08-2009, 03:37 AM
Well i first started out with 2 they did fine tell a few week into the 60G tank. then i added another one to notice the problem sky rocket which one was nipping the other and it was going back and forth, No one was safe. So i removed them all. So what your saying is keep them all inside the 50G tell my new fish are ready and add them all into the 60G at the same time?

Another Question is how can i tell male from female? I've been told to look for a head hump like on some other fish. My fish are small only 3 1/2 inch big

Also clear dividers are fine? i was going to make black walls with holes drilled into them so the fish cant really see each other so i was hopping that well help later.

Sometimes 3 work for others and sometimes it's a catastrophe. You seem to have the catastrophe. Only adding more targets to the equation will help.

At 3 1/2 inches, you are not gonna be able to sex the fish. Unless your fish are severely stunted and spawning and you can tell then but it's impossible at 3 inches. Some breeders could probably sex some fish at that size but that's an amazing skill. Not everyone has it, kind of like telepathy. LOL

Clear dividers are fine, so are not clear dividers. For your purpose, any divider is fine if you feel the need to use one.

Eddie