PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

mrconfident
02-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Hello All,

I would like to in the near future setup a Discus tank. I've done a little bit of research and can say that I may have confused myself a bit, so I'd rather ask questions before I get any deeper.

I currently have a 90 Gallon Acrylic Tank with a Fluval FX5 filter and 2 Marineland Stealth Heaters.

My question is, what other equipment would I need in order to successfully setup a Discus community tank? From some posts, it looks like Discus tanks don't use any carbon?

Fist I would like to add some kind of live plants to the tank, for beginners, what kind of plants would you guys recommend? What type of equipment would I need? I've been reading about a C02 injector...Can someone elaborate on what this piece of equipment is and how it works?

I will be looking at adding Discus last and would like to setup a tank with some Rummynose Tetras and a few other fishes...

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

rickztahone
02-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Hello All,

I would like to in the near future setup a Discus tank. I've done a little bit of research and can say that I may have confused myself a bit, so I'd rather ask questions before I get any deeper.

I currently have a 90 Gallon Acrylic Tank with a Fluval FX5 filter and 2 Marineland Stealth Heaters.

My question is, what other equipment would I need in order to successfully setup a Discus community tank? From some posts, it looks like Discus tanks don't use any carbon?

Fist I would like to add some kind of live plants to the tank, for beginners, what kind of plants would you guys recommend? What type of equipment would I need? I've been reading about a C02 injector...Can someone elaborate on what this piece of equipment is and how it works?

I will be looking at adding Discus last and would like to setup a tank with some Rummynose Tetras and a few other fishes...

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

the FX5 should be enough filtration and two heaters is also sufficient. i no longer use carbon and many members here do not either, it is your preference but like i said, many don't. also, it depends greatly if you plan on getting juvie's or adults. if you are getting juvies then id suggest steering clear of the live pants as you will have to be doing daily water changes and plants do too well with that. C02 injection is too advanced for me to elaborate on so i will let the knowledgeable members answer that one. rummynose are a good choice, i currently have 7 and they are in 84 degree temp with no problem, they are real hardy IME.

mrconfident
02-09-2009, 02:22 AM
the FX5 should be enough filtration and two heaters is also sufficient. i no longer use carbon and many members here do not either, it is your preference but like i said, many don't. also, it depends greatly if you plan on getting juvie's or adults. if you are getting juvies then id suggest steering clear of the live pants as you will have to be doing daily water changes and plants do too well with that. C02 injection is too advanced for me to elaborate on so i will let the knowledgeable members answer that one. rummynose are a good choice, i currently have 7 and they are in 84 degree temp with no problem, they are real hardy IME.
Thanks for the respond. I was looking around on the forum and it looks like everyone is recommending a sponge filter? Is this one of those HOB filters with the bio-wheel and the sponge/mesh inside? Or is this something else? Is a sponge filter required for keeping Discus?

I don't know anything about live plants. I would love to get as much more info as possible....

rickztahone
02-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the respond. I was looking around on the forum and it looks like everyone is recommending a sponge filter? Is this one of those HOB filters with the bio-wheel and the sponge/mesh inside? Or is this something else? Is a sponge filter required for keeping Discus?

I don't know anything about live plants. I would love to get as much more info as possible....

check out the pictures towards the bottom of Eddie's tank.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=502936#post502936
that is a sponge filter and they come in many shapes and sizes. it is a great way to keep beneficial bacteria on hand in case you want to jump start another tank. i highly recommend at least one in your tank, they are like 10 dollars or less. it is not however required that you keep a sponge filter to have healthy discus but it is handy. post in the plant section and members there will walk you through it

Eddie
02-09-2009, 08:06 AM
check out the pictures towards the bottom of Eddie's tank.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=502936#post502936
that is a sponge filter and they come in many shapes and sizes. it is a great way to keep beneficial bacteria on hand in case you want to jump start another tank. i highly recommend at least one in your tank, they are like 10 dollars or less. it is not however required that you keep a sponge filter to have healthy discus but it is handy. post in the plant section and members there will walk you through it

Concur with the statement, a sponge filter is not required but they are super easy to maintain and they provide a huge surface area for nitrifying bacteria. I have used HOBs, Sponge and canister filters now and I feel that an additonal sponge filter has so many benefits. You will always have a seeded filter for quarantine of new fish. You'll have more filters for new tanks, which is pretty much a definite. They are super cheap and require a few squeezes for cleaning. What more can you ask for...;)

Eddie

TankWatcher
02-09-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi :wave:

Welcome to the world of discus.

Probably best not to head down the track of being new to both C02 & discus at the same time. C02 is carbon dioxide, which plants need to grow. Simple plants don't need C02 to be added, as there will be enough in water column as is. But there are some plants that just won't do well without it. C02 can be added by dosing with Seachem Excel, making a DIY yeast mixture to bubble into the tank, or you can go the whole hog & get pressurised C02, which involves a gas bottle, a regulator & usually a solenoid for auto on/off periods.

IMO, if you are a discus newbie then best to decide if you really want a luscious hi-tech planted tank, or if you really want discus. If the hi-tech planted tank wins out - visit the planted tank section of the forum & read up on everything. Get the planted tank thing happening for 6months to a year - then add discus.

But if discus win out - and I suspect it will - I wouldn't add C02 (unless it is the liquid Seachem Excel). In fact, like others have said, it would be easier for you to keep the tank clean with juveniles if you go bare bottom. When they grow up, you can plant the tank then.

Or, start off with adults, as they will be fine in a planted tank. Choose swords, anubias etc. They don't need added C02.

Have fun